It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The topic pretty much sums it up.

As most people who played it know, you can switch the battle view to show you how much movement a unit has (or to be exact: where it can still move) or to show which areas are within shooting range. My problem is that whenever I change those, I get a huge lag - the game kinda freezes and I see the ranges being slowly updated on the minimap, along the process the sound freezes and after 5-7 seconds the main view changes.

Technically, I could probably skip that feature all together, but since I'm used to it from playing this game years back, I keep clicking the damn range toggle button which makes playing almost impossible.

Any fix for that or a temp solution for minimizing the lag effect?

Running the game on: Win 8.1, i7-4700HQ @ 2,4GHz, Geforce GTX 860M, 8GB memory.
This question / problem has been solved by Darenimage
WaclawPL: The topic pretty much sums it up.

As most people who played it know, you can switch the battle view to show you how much movement a unit has (or to be exact: where it can still move) or to show which areas are within shooting range. My problem is that whenever I change those, I get a huge lag - the game kinda freezes and I see the ranges being slowly updated on the minimap, along the process the sound freezes and after 5-7 seconds the main view changes.

Technically, I could probably skip that feature all together, but since I'm used to it from playing this game years back, I keep clicking the damn range toggle button which makes playing almost impossible.

Any fix for that or a temp solution for minimizing the lag effect?

Running the game on: Win 8.1, i7-4700HQ @ 2,4GHz, Geforce GTX 860M, 8GB memory.
I am getting the same issue. I thought it was a Linux/WINE issue but it seems not.
same issue as well. win 8.1 here.
saphon: same issue as well. win 8.1 here.
win 8.1 also seeing the issue.
Windows 7 and not seeing the issue.
Win 8.1
I have this and also whenever I practically do anything. Clicking a unit, firing, changing facing, moving and so on. It's extremely annoying and also nerve wracking because the lag reminds me of when I move a unit and gets shoot at from a hidden overwatch enemy unit. I think my poor troops gets killed everytime they move...

Edit: I tested some more and it only happens when I have "visible range" on.
That's not good. It is a very useful feature that I use all the time.
Post edited July 17, 2015 by Tarm
Tarm: Win 8.1
I have this and also whenever I practically do anything. Clicking a unit, firing, changing facing, moving and so on. It's extremely annoying and also nerve wracking because the lag reminds me of when I move a unit and gets shoot at from a hidden overwatch enemy unit. I think my poor troops gets killed everytime they move...

For me it's consistently on any overlays (movement field, field of fire) and a couple other random actions. It'll freeze up any time it's trying to display a new grid overlay (so switching units, switching view modes, etc).

I can play pretty reasonably as long as I don't care about seeing kill zones and line of sight for my units...
Tarm: Win 8.1

tattertech: For me it's consistently on any overlays (movement field, field of fire) and a couple other random actions. It'll freeze up any time it's trying to display a new grid overlay (so switching units, switching view modes, etc).

I can play pretty reasonably as long as I don't care about seeing kill zones and line of sight for my units...
Yeah it works reasonable for me too without having shoot or move range on. That's what I meant with visible range.
I really hope this gets fixed so I can play this weekend.
*Bump*

Any news?
Same problem here. I had no problems on my old Windows 7, It seems that it is a Windows 8+ only problem.
Win 8.1 Intel i3 with Intel HD4000 Asus laptop.

After having to disable the video / cutscenes to get the game to run at all I tried a small skirmish battle to test it out further. Turning on movement and field / range of fire overlays causes the same lagging discussed here. In fact there is so much lagging that the already cutscene disabled game becomes virtually unplayable. Judging by the increase in fan speed during this I'd guess the CPU load had significantly increased.

Without these overlays the small skirmish battle seemed to run smoothly enough but they were kinda useful. It's also yet another absent / buggy element in the game running under Win 8.1; that said, the videos at least have been reported to run for some Win 8 users.

I may be missing something but one thing I've noted is that the compatibility settings under the game's 'properties' seem locked to Win 98 / ME. However, given the game came out in 1997 wouldn't the more appropriate setting be Win 95?
DarthCynic: Win 8.1 Intel i3 with Intel HD4000 Asus laptop.

I may be missing something but one thing I've noted is that the compatibility settings under the game's 'properties' seem locked to Win 98 / ME. However, given the game came out in 1997 wouldn't the more appropriate setting be Win 95?
I Have the same video card as you, switching compatibility to windows 95 do not solve the issue.
icewindofchange: I Have the same video card as you, switching compatibility to windows 95 do not solve the issue.
Oh... thought the compatibility was locked but have since found a way to alter it myself. Not that this made a difference to either the cutscene or lag problems for me either.
DarthCynic: Oh... thought the compatibility was locked but have since found a way to alter it myself. Not that this made a difference to either the cutscene or lag problems for me either.
I actually tried everything I could think of before making this thread - compatibility modes, reduced colors themes, turning off overlocking of my GPU. None worked and the lag makes the game unplayable. I could just skip using the range tool but iyt makes the game more difficult especially on city maps.

I do hope someone comes up with a fix :)
I guess we all should write to tech support. I tried, but that dont help much. I guess Ill just ask money back and buy a chaos gate, until they fix Final Liberation on windows 8.

It actually worked with someone on windows 8?