It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Dave1003: Thanks Petrell, that helped.
It seems though that it was the 16bit color all along that was causing the program to crash. All of the 8bit resolutions seem to work fine. Oh well, I'm happy with that. Does 16bit look all that different?

It shouldn't as game graphics use 8 bit palette. It was probably added for compatibility reasons in case graphics cards someday drop support for 256 color mode.
so, it's quite possible that i'm a moron... but my old standby falche doesn't seem to like the gog version. i tracked down the folder with the save.dat file in it, but falche isn't giving me the file to edit?
anyone else have this?
edit: apparently the answer is that i am in fact a moron, i was pointing falche to the save directory instead of the fallout directory... fellow morons, learn from my mistakes!
Post edited March 30, 2010 by xone01
EDIT: The high-res patch is working, but is there an easy way to tell if the Team X patches are in effect?
Post edited April 17, 2010 by crusadeonacid
Maybe I have a special 23" LCD widescreen monitor, but it has an option to deal with different resolutions, making them full-screen or the original window. I leave it at full screen, so whether I am playing Call of Duty World at War at 1280x1024, Battle Mages at 1024x768 or fallout at 640x480, I get full-screen graphics.
I wouldn't want my character to be a millimetre tall, with rats a couple pixels wide as they must be in 1600x1200, so I am happy to play my older games at 640x480 and be 'in' the world's created in these good old games, not looking down from a great height! :)
Can any one point me to a weapon damage and armor comparison chart between unmodded Fallout 1 and F1 Fatal Modded version?
I am as confused as hell with all these posts! I am still not sure what the actual files are that I need or which order to install them in.

I have got the installer for the GOG Fallout 1 and I would like to run the game in a window (be nice at 1024 x 768).

I have also got Petrell's Fallout Folder open that he is hosting on his site.

I am thinking that I need to:

1 - Install the game
2 - Install the unofficial patch - fallup13.7z
3 - Install sfall - sfall1.7z
4 - Install Hi-Res patch - Fallout1_High_Resolution_Patch_v2.2b.zip
5 - Follow instructions in various readmes to edit ini fiiles to get the res I need

Am I right, as the various combinations to try are mind boggling me - maybe I am just getting too old and soft :/

Oh, am using W7 64bit and am happy I can work round UAC issues and whatnot.
Post edited September 30, 2010 by ModerateOsprey
UK_John: Maybe I have a special 23" LCD widescreen monitor, but it has an option to deal with different resolutions, making them full-screen or the original window.
Monitor scaling is nothing new, most people just prefer to run games at the sharp native resolution of their monitors instead of stretched and blurry.
UK_John: Maybe I have a special 23" LCD widescreen monitor, but it has an option to deal with different resolutions, making them full-screen or the original window.
bpitvGRITZ: Monitor scaling is nothing new, most people just prefer to run games at the sharp native resolution of their monitors instead of stretched and blurry.
Well, my Fallout 1 does not look stretched or blurry at all!
Anyone else not able to get 16 bit using the unofficial XTeam patch? It only sucessfully launches with 8 bit
RUSBoris: Anyone else not able to get 16 bit using the unofficial XTeam patch? It only sucessfully launches with 8 bit
I had this problem for a long time -- 16-bit would not launch, while 8-bit would give greatly distorted colors. I apparently solved this problem by disabling Triple Buffering in my nVIDIA control panel, so that now I can run the game in 16-bit with no issues. I have no idea if this is the real cause or it's something else, thanks to the nature of the PC platform and all its different variables, but considering disabling Tripple Buffering also solved other problems with other games I figure it's worth mentioning.
Rysa: 5. Resolution Patch v2.1
Allows the game to run in higher resolution
http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/dload.php?action=file&file_id=1261

6. End Game Mod
Adds a option to continue game after killing last boss.
http://nma-fallout.com/forum/dload.php?action=download&file_id=490

For more tools, mods and patches visit eg. http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/dload.php?action=category&cat_id=3
The Resolution Patch was buggy. It made so that I had to force quit the programme to exit. Also if I looked at the manual and came back to the game the clicks in inventory would no longer register. So I got rid of this mod.

I was annoyed with the End Game Mod. I was trying to read the instructions to install it but it gave away the ending. I would recommend avoiding this mod in a first playthrough.
Hi all,

I got the newest high res patch installed and working for the original Fallout 1. It's working, but the game is quite laggy. Is this a known issue or is there a workaround? I don't think it will be playable presently. I saw some people had a similar issue early in this thread, but the links to follow appear to be dead now.

Any advice?

Thanks!
hires patch doesnt work, i get error for any res i select after installing it... what gives?
Is it normal that after updating to the unofficial version 1.3, it still says 1.2 on the main menu of Fallout? I think it should be OK since the 1.3 update just changed files in the DATA directory and didn't modify the EXE like 1.2 did. Just want to check, though.
Export: Is it normal that after updating to the unofficial version 1.3, it still says 1.2 on the main menu of Fallout? I think it should be OK since the 1.3 update just changed files in the DATA directory and didn't modify the EXE like 1.2 did. Just want to check, though.
Yes, it's normal.