It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
It is indeed a great feeling, when people at your favourite company fulfil their promises and finally deliver the product as we all remember it, that is: enjoyable to insanely hard (which is even more enjoyable :D )

Consider the title of this thread to be no longer relevant. However, the thread is a memento that a fan/customer push on a friendly company can make good things happen in the end. The AI in the DOS version of the game is the original challenging version with the fantastic oldschool RTS gameplay.

Thanks GOG, our prayers were answered.

Edited on 12. 2. 2012

---

As many fellow gamers had discussed the dismal situation about the crippled AI of GoG (Zuxxez) version of the game, the need to conclude this situation arose.

The best solution definitely would have been to try to obtain the rights to original DOS version but it appears GoG failed at that (the reasons are irrelevant).

The proper solution now is to remove the game from the catalogue based on the facts that selling broken goods is
1) hurting the GoG's image
2) insulting the players
3) ruining the image of this great game

I know that the thing is complicated by the legal agreements, but the situation cannot be conserved in this state. And maybe the removal will bring somebody to reason.

This is an open letter to GoG, and anyone who cares is welcome to support this.

Adam23
Post edited February 13, 2012 by Adam23
I feel exactly the same way.
I would rather support if GOG replaced it with the original DOS version. It shouldn't be impossible to acquire that one. I personally once owned the German DOS version but would love to see the original release along with both mission packs on GOG. Actually even without the mission packs it would be good enough for me.
Post edited September 12, 2011 by F4LL0UT
I support the maker of this topic.
+1 from me too. Removing it from the catalogue is the only decent thing to do until such times it is properly fixed.
Support from here for this motion too; the game AI is utterly broken. Attempts at copying the DOS AI to the GOG version that i discussed in another thread have failed... Something else must have changed between releases...

Please GOG, fix the game or remove it...
Hey JacobD88
Thank you for getting back to us with the info. That was very good of you. It's a shame it didnt work, but it was well worth trying. At least now we know that to properly fix the Windows XP version of the game is going to involve some real hackery skillz. Only thing left then is to try and get the DOS version of the game running on DOS Box. C'mon GOG try and get the DOS version!
I added the Earth 2140 (DOS) to the www.gog.com/wanted list, so people can vote there as well.
Voted ;)
I had not looked at that list in a good while. System Shock 2 I see, is still (unsurprisingly) way out in front :D
Perhaps if we can get even a fraction of that many votes for 2140, GOG might sit up and take notice?
Geraldine: Hey JacobD88
Thank you for getting back to us with the info. That was very good of you. It's a shame it didnt work, but it was well worth trying. At least now we know that to properly fix the Windows XP version of the game is going to involve some real hackery skillz. Only thing left then is to try and get the DOS version of the game running on DOS Box. C'mon GOG try and get the DOS version!
Your welcome, i'll keep trying, at present i'm trying to copy all the DOS files across one by one and see at what point the game breaks or i get a working AI, that way maybe I'll get it to work yet.

Sadly though i'm starting to think the exe itself may have some influence on where AI data is stored, or maybe it's stored in the EXE itself? In which case we are indeed screwed without a fixed version

Well I've added my vote to the two requests for the DOS version.
Yeah, i added my vote too although i don't own the product. Actually it's just my luck that i chose 2160 over 2140.
I have a feeling you could be right about the EXE JacobD88, but keep trying! If you do manage to get it up and running with a working AI, it would be great! But even knowing which file is causing the problem, could be a big help to someone who would be willing to hack the game to full functionality, perhaps even GOG themselves?
Post edited November 11, 2011 by Geraldine
I concur with the OP's opinion. Why distribute the inferior Windows version of a product when you could distribute the better - and, if you factor in DOSBOX, more compatible - DOS version instead?
Post edited November 14, 2011 by Expack
I'm the_redstar_swl, and I endorse this thread.
Not much more to be said.
I agree with the op.