DK-Gold originally included a game editor. Is that in this one? All I see is DK and DK-Deeper Dungeons. I'm hoping that it does and I just am missing something. Ideas? Feedback?
No, it's not included, but I've found a way to get Bullfrog's original Map Editor running.
The only downside is, that it runs to fast on modern machines. You either have to live with the speed up (e.g. sprinting tool tips) or slowing it down somehow (e.g. with 3rd party software like Mo'Slo).
What you need:
A. GOG version of Dungeon Keeper 1 (obviously ;-)
B. Original Bullfrog Map Editor (dkedit.zip)
Unfortunately Electronic Arts "cleaned" its FTP server, hence the original download from Bullfrog is gone. Here are some alternative sources:
C. Decompression software like WinRAR or 7zip
D. Dungeon Keeper 1 Demo
1. Install Dungeon Keeper and don't use the KeeperFX patch as the Original Map Editor won't work with those files
2. Getting the editor files
- The editor installer (dkedit.exe) doesn't work with the GOG version, hence you have to extract the editor files manually
- You can extract the files from dkedit.exe with WinRAR (editor.exe, Data folder, Levels folder etc.)
- If you extract the .exe-file with 7zip, you'll get a file named _cabinet, among others. You can open this _cabinet with 7zip and inside you'll find the files and folders of the map editor. Extract all of them.
3. Copy all the files and folders of the editor directly into the GOG's Dungeon Keeper directory (usually "\Dungeon Keeper Gold"). editor.exe and keeper.exe should now be in the same folder.
4. The editor needs some DLLs to run, that are missing in GOG's version
- Extract the Dungeon Keeper Demo and run the SETUP.BAT
- This will extract all demo files
- Now copy MSS32.DLL, SMACKW32.DLL and WSND7R.DLL into GOG's Dungeon Keeper folder (so that they are in the same folder as editor.exe).
5. Edit KEEPER.CFG in your game's directory
- Open the file with a text editor, e.g. Wordpad or Editor
- Fill in the game's path at INSTALL_PATH= (e.g. INSTALL_PATH=C:\Gog-Games\Dungeon Keeper Gold)
6. Done. Run the editor.
If you run into problems, try running the editor as Administrator and also in Compatibility Mode for the oldest Windows available (the program was designed for Win95).