It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The fix didn't work for me. Well, I don't know if it did something since I just bought the game and never tried playing without the fix but dk2 is still really buggy to play. The Menus are in slow-motion the scroll speed is uber fast ingame and with hardware acceleration checked the resolution gets messed up and menus disappear.

Since I already own a retail version of DK2 I was hoping for a smoother experience with the GOG version but until now I am only disappointed and frustraded.

Ill send an email to the GOG support right now.
jnzane: The fix didn't work for me. Well, I don't know if it did something since I just bought the game and never tried playing without the fix but dk2 is still really buggy to play. The Menus are in slow-motion the scroll speed is uber fast ingame and with hardware acceleration checked the resolution gets messed up and menus disappear.

Since I already own a retail version of DK2 I was hoping for a smoother experience with the GOG version but until now I am only disappointed and frustraded.

Ill send an email to the GOG support right now.
in fact, I had the slo-mo effect myself (after a initial smooth experience), not clear what was triggering it. But I was also heavily testing different command-line parameters, higher resolutions, graphic settings and registry settings, so I was not crediting DKII itself for the problem.

After this problem of slo-mo and flickering menu and in-game arised, I also had problems getting rid of the problem... I think in the end I razed the game complety and deleted all registry entries hinting to DKII (!!). After a reinstall it worked again well in 1024 x786 (but no higher resolution).

[Edit] I was also playing around with the retail version in parallel, maybe here the problems are starting? Had you before the GOG version the retail version installed?
Post edited August 13, 2012 by shaddim
shaddim: in fact, I had the slo-mo effect myself (after a initial smooth experience), not clear what was triggering it. But I was also heavily testing different command-line parameters, higher resolutions, graphic settings and registry settings, so I was not crediting DKII itself for the problem.

After this problem of slo-mo and flickering menu and in-game arised, I also had problems getting rid of the problem... I think in the end I razed the game complety and deleted all registry entries hinting to DKII (!!). After a reinstall it worked again well in 1024 x786 (but no higher resolution).

[Edit] I was also playing around with the retail version in parallel, maybe here the problems are starting? Had you before the GOG version the retail version installed?
I had those problems right from the start and I also tried many different combinations of compatibility options, parameters and ingame settings but nothing seemed to do the trick - some worked better than others but none gave an enjoyable experience.

I doubt that reinstalling the game and cleaning up the registry will work for me since I had those problems right after installing the game but depending on GOG's answer I might have to give that a try.

No I never had dungeon keeper installed on this system before. I just have the retail version lying around since years but never installed it because I remembered the problems I had with it on modern systems. That is why I picked it up here on GOG when I saw it. Because I remembered how much I used to enjoy the game and since GOG promised compatiblity with windows 7 I instantly bought it.
Post edited August 14, 2012 by jnzane
jnzane: I had those problems right from the start and I also tried many different combinations of compatibility options, parameters and ingame settings but nothing seemed to do the trick - some worked better than others but none gave an enjoyable experience.

I doubt that reinstalling the game and cleaning up the registry will work for me since I had those problems right after installing the game but depending on GOG's answer I might have to give that a try.

No I never had dungeon keeper installed on this system before. I just have the retail version lying around since years but never installed it because I remembered the problems I had with it on modern systems. That is why I picked it up here on GOG when I saw it. Because I remembered how much I used to enjoy the game and since GOG promised compatiblity with windows 7 I instantly bought it.
Sounds like you had bad luck... maybe the support can help you better. But just incase, here are the usal DKII tricks and ugly hacks which should be not required anymore...

Is the core affinity correct set to one core only with your system? Check with the taskmanager. If not, set the core affinity for DKII.exe on startup with the sysinternal tool Psexec (solution for XP, vista and 7) http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb897553.aspx, http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8...for-windows-xp.

The command line parameter -32bitdisplay (or -32biteverything) was helping me mit DKII 1.3. Create a text file, copy this in "DKII.exe" -32bitdisplay put a line break (return key) on the end. Save the file. Rename the file to a BAT ending. Now you can execute the file with double click, and DKII is started with the parameter. (more parameters are here http://keeperklan.com/threads/681-Command-Lines-List)

As last thing, you can also try under Desktop-> Settings -> advanced -> Troubleshooting -> Hardware Acceleration to lower it by 4 ticks. (this is the XP menu order, sorry)
Post edited August 14, 2012 by shaddim
Just bought this in the sale and... it freezes the second the opening video starts, but then if I alt-tab out and go back it all seems to work perfectly. (Running Windows 8 on a laptop with Intel graphics, by the way.)
Hi I play DK2 allready some time 8-10 level without any problem. Is the current version which is available as download currently. But now, I have the problem that the game froze (at the second level with enemy keepers) after around 1 hour of playing. Just before that crash point have I created a savgame. If I load that savegame it froze allways again after 10 sec playing. If the game is frozen I can only move the mouse but only very slowly. If I try to kill DK2 via my win 7 task manager I can not use my mouse in windows to do this job. The mouse is frozen in windows. So I have to use the keyboard to kill DK2 finally ^^

Has anybody else this problem and maybe a fix therefore?
The fix from gog can I not install due to that my DK2 might have the wrong vershin number ?!?? so no idea if that fix would help.
ok,, I have windows 7 with a new graphics card as of 2013, right click compatibility and use window xp service pack 2 and only check 640 by whatever on the graphics,,,,,,,,,,,then in options increase the graphics and it will accommodate widescreen as well,,,,,,,,,,,,, I wrote this cuz gog should have the credit for trying to make it work and it did,,,,,,, god bless and have fun
wastman: Hi I play DK2 allready some time 8-10 level without any problem. Is the current version which is available as download currently. But now, I have the problem that the game froze (at the second level with enemy keepers) after around 1 hour of playing. Just before that crash point have I created a savgame. If I load that savegame it froze allways again after 10 sec playing. If the game is frozen I can only move the mouse but only very slowly. If I try to kill DK2 via my win 7 task manager I can not use my mouse in windows to do this job. The mouse is frozen in windows. So I have to use the keyboard to kill DK2 finally ^^

Has anybody else this problem and maybe a fix therefore?
The fix from gog can I not install due to that my DK2 might have the wrong vershin number ?!?? so no idea if that fix would help.
having exactly the same problem. made a quicksave shortly before the game crashes and it happens every time.

tried changing the resolution and the 1.8 patch, nothing worked.
vickery64: ok,, I have windows 7 with a new graphics card as of 2013, right click compatibility and use window xp service pack 2 and only check 640 by whatever on the graphics,,,,,,,,,,,then in options increase the graphics and it will accommodate widescreen as well,,,,,,,,,,,,, I wrote this cuz gog should have the credit for trying to make it work and it did,,,,,,, god bless and have fun
I don´t even know what this means...
Getting a crash to desktop in the level where you have to win the favor of the dark angels. After defeating one of the two rival keepers, the game crashed. Loading a quicksave allowed me to play until a short time after I destroyed the dungeon heart again (original quicksave was right before my invasion). I figured I'd quicksave after defeating the keeper, and shortly after, it crashed again. Now every quickload just crashes after a few seconds. No idea if there's an event that triggers it (except maybe destroying the dungeon heart, but I'm past that now).
Since cheat codes don't work, I'm going to play the level again, even though I had practically won since the second keeper was weak as hell. I really hope it doesn't crash on me again, since I really want to finish this game for once!

I'm running the latest version on Windows 7 (64bit), with a Radeon 6990m GPU and plenty of RAM.

This is the first level that crashes on me, the patched version has been very smooth so far. Would be a shame if this prevents me from finishing the game. I was so happy to finally see that the compatibility issues had been addressed by GOG!
i'm having a problem the the video as it start up only half the screen is showing while the other half is just black. please help with this.
Timeslip released an update to the GOG patch which fixes all the slowdown issues for Windows 8 users.

http://timeslip.users.sourceforge.net/temp/DK2-patch-v4.7z
Post edited December 18, 2013 by devilhood
The game freezes after the bullfrog logo animation plays, I tried putting it in compatibility mode and used some of the compatibility settings but nothing seems to fix it.
devilhood: Timeslip released an update to the GOG patch which fixes all the slowdown issues for Windows 8 users.

Couldn't then update GOG their Hardware Accleration patch with this one?

Edit: it is beta, so it is under testing now. That's the reason :)
Post edited February 15, 2014 by mrtnptrs
devilhood: Timeslip released an update to the GOG patch which fixes all the slowdown issues for Windows 8 users.

this fixed my issue.
thank you