It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

phillippassmore: That said there is a series of compatibility issues with contemporary hardware which to some extent is expected with old games...
SetarcosNous: Isn't fixing such things in an installer the service we expect from GOG though?
Oh come on, think about it for a minute. the GOG installer is a wrapper around the original installer. The original code isn't touched by the installer, and isn't touched by GOG. So how is an installer supposed to fix incompatibilities between the original code and your hardware configuration?
one thing I know the installer does is auto calibrate the compatibility settings, so we don't have to mess with them, which fixes a lot of incompatibility problems
SetarcosNous: Isn't fixing such things in an installer the service we expect from GOG though?
MrCoprophage: Oh come on, think about it for a minute. the GOG installer is a wrapper around the original installer. The original code isn't touched by the installer, and isn't touched by GOG. So how is an installer supposed to fix incompatibilities between the original code and your hardware configuration?
My point is that, at very least, that wrapper installer should provide options to automate attempting most of the known workarounds.

If you have to research to get a good old game to run, and have one of the original releases (as I would wager many of us here do), why buy it from Gog?
(For example, I own the original releases of DK1 and DK2. One of the reasons I have held off buying DK2 from Gog is because it sounds like it would be just as much work to get it running as using the discs I have.)
Post edited May 30, 2012 by SetarcosNous
GOG does do things for at least some games to make it easier to run.
I own pharaoh cleopatra on CD and GOG, because NOTHING I did would make it work (withougt crashing) via CD. Got it from GOG and not only did they NOT have to set a compatibility the only thing that is checked is run as admin and disable high DPI settings. I can now play with more then the default resolution. and once again IT does NOT crash. which is totally totally awesome.

I can also get DK2 not to crash by simply making it run off of just one core.
Try re-downloading it. I tried everything I could think of and it didn't work. After downloading it a second time, I got lucky when running compatibility Windows XP Service Pack 2. I have Windows 7 and it works perfectly fine for me now.
I have a problem with this game as well, the screen just goes black and locks up. I have to ctrl-alt-del out and with some luck I can close the game through the task manager. This is doubly frustrating because I also bought Gangland at the same time and I can't get that to work either.

The executable seems to have it's compatibility settings locked because I can't change them and the registry settings are already what someone suggested to put them on.

AMD Sempron SI-40
2 GB DDR2 @ 333MHz
256MB GeForce 8200M G
Grate news :), will try the fix just after getting back from work!
The patch works great here!
Lol, I wish I could tag everyone in this thread ;)

http://www.gog.com/en/forum/dungeon_keeper_series/dungeon_keeper_2_hardware_acceleration_fix_is_now_live
Post edited July 04, 2012 by tfishell
well anyone who bought it will be alerted that the game has an update. or at least I was.
Better late than never. It's surprising that they released it in the previous state, with their good record overall, but it works now. Been wanting to try this out for a long time now.
The patch seems to work fine! No crashes so far! :)

Thanks GOG!
I can not play this game because of one problem. Every time I try to play it the screen get all pixally and black. I think I need a white cane or seeing eye dog to have any clue as to what is happening. The cursor says that there is something on screen but I have no clue as I can see exactly jack squat. Not a happy camper as I have lost six dollars for something I can only listen to. There is a limit to cheap and ripped off. I think I have just been ripped off.
WingedDraven: I can not play this game because of one problem. Every time I try to play it the screen get all pixally and black. I think I need a white cane or seeing eye dog to have any clue as to what is happening. The cursor says that there is something on screen but I have no clue as I can see exactly jack squat. Not a happy camper as I have lost six dollars for something I can only listen to. There is a limit to cheap and ripped off. I think I have just been ripped off.
Did you installed the patch? The game is this time NOT prepatched. (Which is a good thing, because it gives the users more choice and reduces (re-)download size)
Post edited August 05, 2012 by shaddim
WingedDraven: I can not play this game because of one problem. Every time I try to play it the screen get all pixally and black. I think I need a white cane or seeing eye dog to have any clue as to what is happening. The cursor says that there is something on screen but I have no clue as I can see exactly jack squat. Not a happy camper as I have lost six dollars for something I can only listen to. There is a limit to cheap and ripped off. I think I have just been ripped off.
As shaddim mentioned, you should install the fix that's just underneath the link for the installer for Dungeon Keeper 2. Please run the fix and see if that helps fix your issue. If you continue to have problems after installing the Hardware Acceleration Fix, please don't hesitate to write to our Support department and send a DxDiag along with your email. Please note, that it is the weekend here in Poland so it may take some time before we get back to you. Rest assured, however, that you will receive an answer :D