Here is a video on how to run DevilutionX on Windows 7, hope that helps. https://youtu.be/om0buqxhouc
If you follow the steps and it still doesn't work my best guess is that you have some security software on your system that is interfering with the game, so check your antivirus settings, etc.
Thank you very much for sharing this. Everything seems easy and all but it doesn't work for me. I will try to give more specific questions after every step.
1. Ok I downloaded the same version from the same source.
2. I don't understand next step. Where should I put it? Why your DevilutionX file is in the Download folder, and after a second you copy him to Desktop?? Where did you install the game and GOG?
All my files (gog, the game and devilutionx is in the same folder but I tried in different folders too and still the same info).
3. DIABDAT.MPQ or diabdat.mpq? I tried both and doesn't work.
4. After this I'm clicking devolution.exe and...
"Data File Error"
Unable to open diabdat.mpq
Make sure it is in a game folder and that the filename is in all lowercase" - so it should be in the game folder or not?? I tried both.
5. I have checked antivirus - I even uninstall it - still doesn't work.
6. I will try to record a movie to prove I'm doing the same - seriously I know it's obvious but something that's not in this movie must be the reason why it doesn't work.
Once again thanks for your help and patience.
it worked for everyone else, I offered to help over teamviewer, you refused, thought you were supposed to figure it out on your own and now you are asking for "ideas"? :)
Ok but what's the point of writing about our private conversation here? I'm looking for help from other users and that's it.