It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
Apologies if I'm stealing the thunder from the DevilutionX team, but it's been several days now since the latest version of their mod has been released, and I haven't seen any notice here yet. The latest release includes support for the Hellfire expansion, along with a few cool, but entirely optional, "quality-of-life" features which can be toggled on or off.

Project Page: https://github.com/diasurgical/devilutionX
Latest Version Download: https://github.com/diasurgical/devilutionX/releases

Unlike many other mods, DevilutionX tries to stay as close to the original Diablo experience as possible. The main purpose of this mod is to get the original Diablo (and Hellfire) running smoothly on modern operating systems. It fixes some issues from the original game, like difficulty running on some modern displays, lack of current network support and a few lingering bugs that never got resolved. It also provides some graphical enhancements such as wide-screen resolutions, upscaling / integer scaling, vertical sync and blended transparency. And it includes a few optional "quality of life" features such as running in town, an experience bar, monster health bars, auto gold pickup, disabling friendly fire and enabling all quests in a single game. But aside from that, it does not change the original Diablo experience. This is essentially the "Patch 1.10" / "Diablo 1 modernization patch" that Blizzard never released.

Highly recommended for anyone new to Diablo 1 or who wants to run through the "classic" experience again.
Post edited June 17, 2021 by Ryan333
Thanks for the heads up. I just checked on Tuesday and it wasn't out yet. Probably wouldn't have looked again til next week. Guess I have something to do this weekend when I get rained out.
There is a bug with windows x64 version, where it items thrown on the ground would get corrupted if there are no saves files in the save game directory. Team is on it and hopefully soon there will be a proper fix. That´s why announcement here was probably delayed.
Post edited April 08, 2021 by NikolaiPopov
Ah, I was wondering why nobody brought this up earlier. Great milestone indeed, we started a game on release day and had no problems except that the rogue's animation occasionally broke (no walking animation anymore while periodically shooting two fake arrows).
Shared experience would be a nice feature too. :-)
sheng_luwei: Ah, I was wondering why nobody brought this up earlier. Great milestone indeed, we started a game on release day and had no problems except that the rogue's animation occasionally broke (no walking animation anymore while periodically shooting two fake arrows).
Shared experience would be a nice feature too. :-)
If you can reproduce, the bug you should report it. And while at hat you can always create another issue with proposal! You never know someone might start working on it!
Awesome, DevilutionX is Imo the best thing ever made for Diablo 1.

I haven't played much of the Diablo GoG version because I was waiting for DevilutionX Hellfire support.

I have a few noob questions: do I have to install Infernity mod in order to have Stash and the possibility to highlight items on the ground by pressing alt?

Thank you DevilutionX team
Focmiz: Awesome, DevilutionX is Imo the best thing ever made for Diablo 1.

I haven't played much of the Diablo GoG version because I was waiting for DevilutionX Hellfire support.

I have a few noob questions: do I have to install Infernity mod in order to have Stash and the possibility to highlight items on the ground by pressing alt?

Thank you DevilutionX team
Infernity is dead and most of its features have been ported to DevilutionX already, highlighting and stash are coming in 1.3.0 version. If you message me on discord, I can cook you up a 1.2.0 build with highlighting as it's already done (Qndel#2237)
That would be great, thanks!
qndel: Infernity is dead and most of its features have been ported to DevilutionX already, highlighting and stash are coming in 1.3.0 version. If you message me on discord, I can cook you up a 1.2.0 build with highlighting as it's already done (Qndel#2237)
Cool, I wouldn't mind getting the highlighting update. Just tried 1.2.0 and it is a great improvement. Couple other things I'd like to see at some point are an option for auto clicking, and a way to view both intro videos (at present you just get the Hellfire intro when Hellfire is installed).

I noticed that when I added the Hellfire data files I could no longer see my original saves. I thought 1.2.0 had added compatability between Diablo and Hellfire saves, by allowing them to migrate over?
qndel: Infernity is dead and most of its features have been ported to DevilutionX already, highlighting and stash are coming in 1.3.0 version. If you message me on discord, I can cook you up a 1.2.0 build with highlighting as it's already done (Qndel#2237)
Korell: Cool, I wouldn't mind getting the highlighting update. Just tried 1.2.0 and it is a great improvement. Couple other things I'd like to see at some point are an option for auto clicking, and a way to view both intro videos (at present you just get the Hellfire intro when Hellfire is installed).

I noticed that when I added the Hellfire data files I could no longer see my original saves. I thought 1.2.0 had added compatability between Diablo and Hellfire saves, by allowing them to migrate over?
Yes, you have to manually rename them from .sv to .hsv
NikolaiPopov: There is a bug with windows x64 version, where it items thrown on the ground would get corrupted if there are no saves files in the save game directory. Team is on it and hopefully soon there will be a proper fix. That´s why announcement here was probably delayed.
Correct. The issue actually affects all Windows versions and since there is a high number of Windows users here we wanted to wait until the fie was out. No worries though, and thanks for pointing out the workaround here.

I expect to release the 1.2.1 version later today that will address this as well as a few other issues that we found with the first batch of users.
Korell: Cool, I wouldn't mind getting the highlighting update. Just tried 1.2.0 and it is a great improvement. Couple other things I'd like to see at some point are an option for auto clicking, and a way to view both intro videos (at present you just get the Hellfire intro when Hellfire is installed).

We will probably rework the menu at some point to allow for this. But you can also start the diablo only version still by making a short cut and adding --diablo as an option to the program.
Post edited April 12, 2021 by Anders_Jenbo
Anders_Jenbo: The issue actually affects all Windows versions and since there is a high number of Windows users here we wanted to wait until the fie was out. No worries though, and thanks for pointing out the workaround here.
Do I read here that the 1.2.0 release is all good on Linux?
If so, I have a pending update for ./play.it I should get back to work on ;)
Anders_Jenbo: The issue actually affects all Windows versions and since there is a high number of Windows users here we wanted to wait until the fie was out. No worries though, and thanks for pointing out the workaround here.
vv221: Do I read here that the 1.2.0 release is all good on Linux?
better wait for 1.2.1 ;p it has other fixes
vv221: Do I read here that the 1.2.0 release is all good on Linux?
1.2.1 is out now :)
Anders_Jenbo: But you can also start the diablo only version still by making a short cut and adding --diablo as an option to the program.
To make sure I got it right:
- running devilutionx with no argument starts Diablo + Hellfire
- running devilutionx --diablo starts vanilla Diablo, without Hellfire additions

No confusion here?