It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Multiple CD/DVDs are too cumbersome for games with a 50GB+ installer, also many PCs don't have optical drive anymore. A lower cost option would be micro SD card with DRM free installer on it (cheaper than USB perhaps) but cards >128GB does not cut the cost either. It's more possible for indie games with smaller install sizes.

Personally I don't mind a digital code to download online for large games. I love physical copies and have a small Big Box collection of games from the 90s-2000s, although the modern small boxes are not that feature packed anymore.

Modern Collector's Editions is a bit of a splurge and I really dislike huge fragile statues and inconsistent box sizes.

My ideal physical edition is:

- Standard old school 'Big Box PC game' size, maximum size = Diablo 3 CE box.
- DRM free, offline installer of the game (GoTY/all dlc patched version is nice for backups but usually we get 1.0 version of the game at launch).
- Manual, this is kinda crucial for me because it represents the dev company's personal touch, a foreword about their values and pride for their game, interesting tidbits during development, some concept art, and a full credits of people who worked on the game. It kinda is a lost art these days as modern manuals are mostly PDFs with installation guide in them.
- Soundtrack CD, for archival purposes in lossless quality, a traditional CD would be best.
- Artbook, small artbook is optional but nice, like the one in Frostpunk's physical box.
- Map for relevant genres, RPGs usually come with a cloth map, Morrowind's map is one of the most useful physical item for a new player.
- Token (least important personally): This replaces the huge statue, it could be anything from a small but durable figurine, or poster, badge/stickers/keychain etc, usually 'merchandise'.

LimitedRunGames have made some modern PC boxes but are mostly download code only or with USB drive, though I find their box art a bit empty and most are filled with lootbox style merchandise, it does not even come with manual. IMO their best release was Thumper CE at $65, but for Switch not PC lol.

3D Realms is also bringing back physical, like the Ion Fury big box is about $60 with game on USB, but soundtrack digital :( and a blander version of hte box art compared to Founders Edition.

Signature Edition's PC physicals are smaller boxes but have some good content, although very limited copies making it hard to find. GRIP CE is very nice.

You can still buy Total War games physical up to Three Kingdoms (that's amazing, really good distributor/publisher?). Blizzard also maintains the physical box for PC (WoW/Starcraft 2/D3) but cant say for remastered re-relases.

Kickstarter physicals for PC is like $150 minimum, Obsidian did a nicely sized CE box (the huge merch statue in a separate box thankfully), even the smaller Obsidian edition box is well done, much like CDPR's standard versions but a little less goodies.

---
For the bandwdith challenged, there are highly compressed versions to save your bandwdith at the cost of longer install times, better for archiving too, but then that's the jackdaw version.
Post edited May 22, 2020 by svfn