It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

FlynnArrowstarr: Hmm... NWN 2 should be putting as much stress, if not more, as the IE games. I'm still leaning toward the PSU being the culprit though. For giggles, try IWD 1 & 2 and see if they exhibit any similar behavior. Thanks =)

Flynn
KitchenK: IWD 2 vanilla no patch no EE version got through to the portion of the character creator where you are designing the appearance of the character and your 3D model pops up it freezes and crashes :(

it seems we've narrowed it down to some kind of 3d Infinity Engine graphical issue, I'm 65% sure on that
I think you may be right, and I could definitely have been wrong about it being the power supply. Do you get any sort of Windows error when it crashes?

Also, you mentioned playing Xcom through DOSBox. What filter are you using (DDraw, OpenGL, etc.) and what happens if you change any of the filters?

Flynn
The message is very vague something like "windows had to close this program". but there is no reference number or any particular data given just a "close" option.

I'm not sure how I would find that out. is there a file I can read in the dosbox directory?
KitchenK: The message is very vague something like "windows had to close this program". but there is no reference number or any particular data given just a "close" option.

I'm not sure how I would find that out. is there a file I can read in the dosbox directory?
In DOSBox, there is a file named dosbox.conf. Open that in a text editor and check the line that starts with "output=" (about 30 lines into the file). It will have one of several values - it defaults to surface. Try changing it to opengl or ddraw and then play Xcom some more and see if there are any crashes. Particularly with ddraw.

Flynn
KitchenK: The message is very vague something like "windows had to close this program". but there is no reference number or any particular data given just a "close" option.

FlynnArrowstarr: In DOSBox, there is a file named dosbox.conf. Open that in a text editor and check the line that starts with "output=" (about 30 lines into the file). It will have one of several values - it defaults to surface. Try changing it to opengl or ddraw and then play Xcom some more and see if there are any crashes. Particularly with ddraw.

Flynn
It was already on surface and it worked flawlessly. I switched it to opengl and the screen was off center and was lagging. DDraw worked just fine
Post edited June 12, 2015 by KitchenK