It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

peteatoms: Yeah, I already said that in my post. No need to rub it in :p
Sorry, I thought you noticed because of trial and error rather than reading their website.
begolf00: That sucks! I've never had any problem playing at 60. As long as BG:EE is locked at 30 I will never play it. I'll just use a modded version of BG. What a waste of money so far. I know for me and others. People are complaining on the official forums about the cap. Were all use to playing at 60 after being spoiled by mods.
Do you actually enjoy playing BG in double speed? Things can become hectic even in the suggested 30 FPS, let alone the walking speed of boots of speed + haste on top. I find that ludicrously fast and bad for gameplay (you can zing across screen in a couple of seconds), I can't find a good reason to actually want that doubled!
Also 60 FPS means each round lasts 3 seconds, instead of the default 6. Talk about spell-fights on crack! :)
begolf00: That sucks! I've never had any problem playing at 60. As long as BG:EE is locked at 30 I will never play it. I'll just use a modded version of BG. What a waste of money so far. I know for me and others. People are complaining on the official forums about the cap. Were all use to playing at 60 after being spoiled by mods.
AndyBuzz: Do you actually enjoy playing BG in double speed? Things can become hectic even in the suggested 30 FPS, let alone the walking speed of boots of speed + haste on top. I find that ludicrously fast and bad for gameplay (you can zing across screen in a couple of seconds), I can't find a good reason to actually want that doubled!
Also 60 FPS means each round lasts 3 seconds, instead of the default 6. Talk about spell-fights on crack! :)
Most people I know play that speed and on big maps it's not possible to get from one end to the other just with 60 FPS in two seconds. A big map can still take enough time to get across for me.. Also when you've played the game dozens of times. You know where everything is, so why get there slowly. I use pause a lot in fights and you can set it up to pause every round in BG2. Fights for 30 fps feel extremely slow and I do not enjoy playing at a snails pace. Much more enjoyable playing at 50 or 60 FPS for a lot of people.

I could ask the same thing, do you enjoy playing at a snails pace? The answers is obviously yes :) All I'm saying is BG:EE was built on the latest build of Throne. In both throne and BG2 you could change the FPS. Many on the official forums are not even bothering to play until this issue is fixed. At least keep the functionality of the old games with BG:EE. That way people can play at what ever speed they want. Be that 10,20,40 or 60:)

I'm having a hard time understanding how anyone can play at 30 lol. Did once back in 99, never want to do it again. I always use BGT.
Post edited November 29, 2012 by begolf00
That's pretty ludicrous. Still, it wouldn't hurt if they added back the FPS option for people who want to play that way.
Frankly and sadly, I think that Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition is a flop.

If all they had done was focus on improving the textures and make the game more friendly for high resolutions it would have been more worthwhile.

As is, it even crashes when trying to import saves or characters from the old version, the interface clearly had designs on touch for mobile devices which sucks or at least is a waste on desktop/mouse devices.

Cant even import images for portraits, oh they sell new portraits though so that's probably why.

The more you dig into it the more of a rip-off it appears to be.

They should just have kept it to tablets. BG fans, or any fans of an old franchise, don' deserve to be milked like this, paying for a locked down version of an old game they already have with incredibly minor graphics updates.

There are only two good things I have to say about it. I like being able to zoom in, though maybe there's a mod for the original to do that, don't know, and the stereo effect depending where on the screen the source of the sound is. So in the end it's a blatant rip off to me personally even before considering things like DRM.

Also for those that don't like having to mod BG each time they install it for the best experience, you only have to do it once then add the whole game folder to an archive or otherwise back it up. So that's a non issue and you can end up with the whole BG series in one game that you can install just by extracting/copying over.
@Grogger Just to be fair, you can import portraits. Instead of the shit being in the install folder it's in the documents folder. You just make a folder called Portraits and your all most good to go. I all ready know why they do this but I think it's bull.

I don't like some of the animated cut scenes. Some are missing. There is missing dialogue. Lots of bugs. So far I've only encountered minor ones. The GUI is hit and miss. It's somewhat blurry, It just doesn't seem crisp and please don't tell me its b/c of the anisotropic filtering bug. No AI updates like in BG2 or Throne makes for agonizingly slow game play. I'm tempted not to go on has apparently there are some bugs with the new characters that maker going any further impossible.

When I played the original BG I didn't have these problems. That was back in 99. I have never had any problems playing the GOG versions. Thank God I have not gifted them to anyone yet. Mods are simple and easy to use and for the most part compatible unless your going to install a stupid amount.

Some things I do like

I do really love the zoom in feature and instant loading and saving. I like the new characters but there is perhaps to much bantering, looks out of place in BG.

I'm still hopefully optimistic but I would definitely wait until they have sorted things out. Beam dog as a service seems rougher then when I first started using GOG. So maybe wait until it's out on different digital distributors.
adamzs: That's pretty ludicrous. Still, it wouldn't hurt if they added back the FPS option for people who want to play that way.
@adamzs You mean me? You can set the the game to pause every round of combat. So things never get out of hand. Each to their own I guess though.
Post edited November 30, 2012 by begolf00
My top three issues with the game are the amount of bugs I have run into, some of them actually game-breaking, the removed cutscenes, and the oversized GUI. Everything else I can live with. These, however, I hope will be fixed either by Overhaul or modders.

What I love about the re-release is the zoom feature (although it needs to be fixed so that it doesn't reset all the time) and the various small engine improvements. I love that saving and loading takes no time and that the camera focuses on the speaker in dialog, small things like that. They do add up and make the game more enjoyable for me. I even like some of the new cutscenes, I think the wilderness resting one is great for example.

begolf00: @adamzs You mean me? You can set the the game to pause every round of combat. So things never get out of hand. Each to their own I guess though.
Sorry I didn't mean to offend, I shouldn't have said ludicrous. I meant that I can't see myself playing BG like that, but I know that bringing that feature back would probably cost the devs no or almost no resources since it's been in the game already, and, well, the engine didn't change that much.
@adamzs

That's why I like GOG's community. It's classy :) That's all right no offence taken.

The three issues you mention are my biggest concern to! I hope their fixed by Overhaul as it would be nice to have a cannon version/ excellent base to start from.

I love the zoom feature to + the saving and loading. The wilderness cut scene is great to. Some are good until you start looking to hard. The candle keep inn is good except for the grounds outside of the wall. It looks terrible like textures put on Google map. The way the grass is lying flat is really distracting to me. It just seems like the cut scenes are not coherent in quality.

Hopefully these will be fixed and if they make a lot hopefully they'll add the missing ones back in. Was Durlags tower cut? That was one of my favourite from the old ones. Really set the mood.
Coelocanth: Now, this could very well be nostalgia talking,
BlueMooner: You enter a 10x10 room. An orc is guarding a chest.

http://yamara.com/2005/08/22/blag-loses-it/

EDIT

I just watched the intro on Beamdog.

No. Noooo. NooOOOOooooo. :'(

It's not FMV, it's...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=egfgFZATd5E
I see nothing wrong with the new intro, even if i definitively like much more the old one.
Yeah, Durlag's Tower was great and it was removed. The Gnoll Stronghold was, too. I just don't understand this decision since most of the time the new cutscenes are little more than animated concept art. They fit the game nicely, but I wouldn't think producing them takes a lot of time and/or money and/or resources. And well, I wouldn't want to appear stingy, but you know... the game wasn't exactly cheap.
I found the idea attractive; a sleeker, more streamlined version of an old classic. What's not to love? In practice, however, I find it at worst misleading and at best sloppy. I purchased it a couple of days ago and have not been able to get it to start. The installer crashes when attempting to download or start the game. Still no fix, and still no word from the development team on what the solution is. From reading through several forums, I do not seem to be the only person with this problem.

I would not mind, if it was ten dollars cheaper. But the whole idea behind it is it's ease of use. I would easily pay ten extra dollars to not have to install Tutu and several other fan made patches e. In it's current state, however, it remains a promise. I'll stick with my version on GOG everytime I wanted to play the game. I requested a refund this morning and hope they honor it.

My fear is that our collective nostalgia tinted glasses may be rewarding laziness.
Nice start: http://www.shsforums.net/topic/55547-classic-gameplay-windows-for-bgee-10/
BlueMooner: You enter a 10x10 room. An orc is guarding a chest.

http://yamara.com/2005/08/22/blag-loses-it/

EDIT

I just watched the intro on Beamdog.

No. Noooo. NooOOOOooooo. :'(

It's not FMV, it's...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=egfgFZATd5E
YaTEdiGo: I see nothing wrong with the new intro, even if i definitively like much more the old one.
I find some of the scenes inconsistent in quality. The Friendly Arm Inn for instance is all right until you start looking at the vegetation surrounding the wall. It looks flat, like there's no dimension to it. It looks like I'm looking at goolgle earth with their horrible flat textures. Great for a map program not so great for a game cut scene. Some of the other animated cut scenes have this same problem. Getting rid of the Gnoll stronghold, Durlags tower and the werewolf island cut scene was a mistake. These scenes set the mood. If the cut scenes had a little more pop and less of a google map look to them I would be very happy.
Post edited November 30, 2012 by begolf00
By some weird miracle, BGEE seems to be running fine now :)

The only glitch I have come across is the disappearing mouse cursor while in the Inventory screen. This seems to be a problem for a lot of users so far.

That's as far as I've gotten though. I've only purchased some stuff in Candlekeep and wandered around a bit. I'm sure if I could get past the invisible/flickering pointer, I'd stumble upon some other major glitch in short order :p

EDIT: The latest patch solves the disappearing mouse issue.
Post edited December 01, 2012 by peteatoms
I've played through BG numerous times, and I love the game to bits, but one of the things that frustrated me constantly (from playing on newer systems, I assume) was my complete inability to get a solid multiplayer game running without going through some really tiring hoops. The last time I tried with some friends about a couple years ago it was just impossible, probably due to different configs from each of our computers. Even Hamachi, which was usually reliable back in the day, didn't do it that time. What I'm trying to get to is: is BGEE worth the $20 if I want to finally get a multiplayer game running? Is it stable? Does it run well? I found the new intro a bit silly and all that, but I wouldn't be really playing the SP with this one, I think. What do you guys think?