It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

TCloud9: Hey everyone!

I'm new to the Linux world of gaming, but I have a lot of experience on Windows machines. Initially, I tried running Painkiller and Medal of Honor using the PlayOnLinux app included in the Software Center, but I ran into installer issues with the new gog installers, so I axed that for binaries compiled specifically for Ubuntu.

I downloaded BG, ran the installed, and have shortcuts on my desktop. When I click on any of the three installers, my CPU cycles go up, but then immediately back down, and I get nothing rendered.

I ran into a forum post about a similar issue (https://www.gog.com/forum/baldurs_gate_series/games_wont_launch_in_linux), but following those instructions didn't help. I did install the packages he's referring to, but when I start from terminal, this is what I get:

user@laptop:~/GOG Games/Baldurs Gate The Original Saga$ ./start.sh
Running Baldur's Gate: The Original Saga
[drunk][04/05/2017_19:45:25] WINEDEBUG=trace+x11settings
[drunk][04/05/2017_19:45:25] WINEDLLOVERRIDES=mscoree,mshtml=
[drunk][04/05/2017_19:45:25] WINEPREFIX=/home/user/GOG Games/Baldurs Gate The Original Saga/drunk/../prefix/
[drunk][04/05/2017_19:45:25] starting wine
[drunk][04/05/2017_19:45:25] starting drunk daemon
[drunkd][04/05/2017_19:45:25] preparing to start drunkd
[drunkd][04/05/2017_19:45:25] primary display device detected as: LVDS-1
[drunkd][04/05/2017_19:45:25] current resolution stored: 1366x768
[drunk][04/05/2017_19:45:25] wine run ended
user@laptop:~/GOG Games/Baldurs Gate The Original Saga$ [drunk][04/05/2017_19:45:26] waiting for BGMain2.exe to start

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

Edit: That's Xubuntu 16.04.2 x64
Hello TCloud9,

Is there any reason you prefer to run the legacy version of Baldur's Gate instead of the Enhanced Edition? BG:EE offers you better support for high desktop resolutions and is a recommended way to run the game now.

However, if you want to run the The Original Saga, you need to install dependencies for it. The game uses Wine to run on Linux, so you need to install your local Wine package:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install wine

Also if you have more than one monitor, please make sure to disable all your secondary screens.

If that won't help, please contact our support: https://support.gog.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?game=1207658886
TCloud9: @linuxvangog, installing Wine fixed the problem. Where is the documentation that talks about installing that? I completely missed it. I do not intend on playing the EE mainly because I already own the original version and have no reason to buy something I already own.

Thank you for the help!
I apologize, I somehow forgot, that these were separate products before. When BG: The Original Saga was sold separately, there was information in the game requirement's field on the product page but now the game is a part of BG: Enhanced Edition product.

I'll try to get this fixed :)
Post edited May 08, 2017 by linuxvangog