It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Sorry if this has been addressed, but why am I experiencing mouse lag in the game? It only seems to happen when I highlight over buttons or items. It takes several seconds for item information to pop up. At least I assume it isn't supposed to be like this, right?
HackerSHODAN: It takes several seconds for item information to pop up.
If that is the lag you're referring to, there is a setting in the options for that. (It gets annoying pretty quick if you have it pop up immediately)
HackerSHODAN: It takes several seconds for item information to pop up.
anamorphic: If that is the lag you're referring to, there is a setting in the options for that. (It gets annoying pretty quick if you have it pop up immediately)
Ah, I'll check that out. Thanks.

Also, is there a way to zoom in the game? I may have made a mistake by setting the widescreen mod res to 1680x1050 (my monitor's native res). Everything seems a bit too tiny.
HackerSHODAN: Ah, I'll check that out. Thanks.

Also, is there a way to zoom in the game? I may have made a mistake by setting the widescreen mod res to 1680x1050 (my monitor's native res). Everything seems a bit too tiny.
There's no zoom, unfortunately.
What's the recommended res for my monitor, then?

Trying to find a nice balance.
HackerSHODAN: What's the recommended res for my monitor, then?
Uh, as mentioned just a few posts ago in this very thread, 1280x800, 1280x768 (not quite 16:10 but close), or 960x600. If your monitor does not support them, open your graphics card control panel and make a custom res, and/or set the scaling options to have your card upscale the image rather than your monitor.
GoJays2025: Update: If the Gibberlings3 site is down the files can be found here: http://www.camagna.net/g3mirror/g3_emergency_mirror.html
Update: BGT or EasyTutu? Please see the bottom of this post.

This post is to help people get the best vanilla experience. I didn't include anything that adds a lot of new content since I believe your first playthrough should resemble as closely to the original as possible. If you're wondering about Unfinished Business, you're free to skip it; it is absolutely non-essential.

Note: If you're on Windows 7 you might want to install the games in a directory other than C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86) to avoid potential problems. C:\Games should work.

Part 1
You probably know that you can play the original Baldur's Gate content using the much improved Baldur's Gate 2 engine. The first part of this guide is to help you combine the two into essentially one huge game. If you are only playing Baldur's Gate 2 please proceed to the second part of this guide.

1. Fully install Baldur's Gate: The Original Saga
2. Fully install Baldur's Gate II Complete. If you're installing from CD, make sure you update it to version 26498.
3. Download Baldur's Gate II Fixpack (Download links are on the left side) and extract it to your Baldur's Gate II directory.
4. Run the newly extracted setup-bg2fixpack.exe (if not automatically started).
5. It is safe to select yes for all the optional fixes, but if you want to learn about each in detail, consult the readme file that comes with the fixpack.
6. Download BGT-WeiDU and extract it in your Baldur's Gate II directory.
7. Run the newly extracted Setup-BGT.exe and follow the instructions. You may need to run it in administrative mode in Windows Vista/7.
8. Enter Baldur's Gate I's directory when asked (if not already provided)
9. Wait for BGT-WeiDU to finish installing.
10. OPTIONAL: Download and install Baldur's Gate 1 Unfinished Business as well as BG 2 Unfinished Business. These mods restore things that were previously cut from the released product, so while you don't need them, and they do add new content, they're pretty nice to have, especially if this is not your first time.
11. Download the widescreen mod and apply it in the same manner as the fixpack. This makes it possible to play the game in high resolutions and in widescreen format.
12. OPTIONAL: Download and install any user-created material (banter packs, expansion mods, new NPCs, etc.)
13. Go to your Baldur's Gate II directory, then find and run the file Setup-BGTMusic.exe and select 'Hybrid Baldur’s Gate/Shadows of Amn/Throne of Bhaal music'. This makes it possible to hear the original Baldur's Gate music when playing Baldur's Gate I.
14. OPTIONAL: (for more experienced users) Download Baldur's Gate II Tweak Pack and apply it in the same way as the fixpack. Consult the readme file for details of each tweak - too many to list here. If you don't know what a tweak does even after consulting the readme, just skip it.
15. Remove the Baldur's Gate I installation if you wish - it's done its job!

Now you should be able to play the game all the way from Baldur's Gate I to the end of Throne of Bhaal in one continuous game! Enjoy!

Part 2
For people who only wishes to play Baldur's Gate II.

1. Install Baldur's Gate II
2. Download Baldur's Gate II Fixpack (Download links are on the left side) and extract it to your Baldur's Gate II directory.
3. Run the newly extracted setup-bg2fixpack.exe (if not automatically started).
4. It is safe to select yes for all the optional fixes, but if you want to learn about each in detail, consult the readme file that comes with the fixpack.
5. OPTIONAL: Download and install BG 2 Unfinished Business. This mod restores things that were previously cut from the released product, so while you don't need it, and it does add new content, it's pretty nice to have, especially if this is not your first time playing.
6. Download the widescreen mod and apply it in the same manner as the fixpack. This makes it possible to play the game in high resolutions and in widescreen format.
7. OPTIONAL: Download and install any user-created material (banter packs, expansion mods, new NPCs, etc.).
8. OPTIONAL: (for more experienced users) Download Baldur's Gate II Tweak Pack and apply it in the same way as the fixpack. Consult the readme file for details of each tweak - too many to list here. If you don't know what a tweak does even after consulting the readme, just skip it.

Enjoy!

-------------------------------------------
BGT or EasyTutu?
This guide uses the BGT mod, but you may have noticed another mod that exists to utilize the BG2 engine for BG1 - EasyTutu. If you're unclear about their differences, here's what you need to consider:
BGT:
- BG1 is bridged to BG2 via a very short additional scripted scene. However, it's pretty clear at that point that one game has ended and another is about to start.
- The NPCs' stats are carried over to BG2. Whatever level and whatever stats they had at the end of BG1, when (and if) you meet up with them again in BG2, they will still carry those same stats. This is another feature to maintain continuity throughout the 2 games.
- No need to import your character into BG2 after BG1 - BGT does it for you.

EasyTutu
- Only updates BG1 to use the BG2 engine - they're still kept as separate games.
- You must import your saved game from BG1 over to BG2 when you're ready to start a new game.
- BG2 will be unmodified (i.e. the NPCs' stats will be whatever was programmed into the game, any progress they had in BG1 won't be reflected here).

Basically it comes down to whether you want to keep them as completely separate games (or if you just want to play BG1 only) or try to preserve the continuity between the two games. If you are interested in EasyTutu please take a look at this guide by rartino.
Thank you so much for this. I've played this game for years and years, still remember most of the dialogs, and now the table is served to clock it again. Cheers!
I know this probably isn't the best topic to post this in, but does anyone else experience constant mouse flickering while playing the game in full screen mode?

It's not game-breaking, but the experience would be way better without it.

EDIT - I enabled the OpenGL option and the flickering stopped, but now the game is stuttering like there's no tomorrow. I wonder why this is happening, Planescape Torment played smoothly from start to finish...
Post edited August 30, 2012 by lemoribond
Hey everyone,

My name is Enrique, and I'm writing from Madrid in Spain. Glad to meet ya!

To everyone experiencing mod install failures of the "console pops up for a second and disappears, nothing seems to have happened" kind, I've spent the whole weekend researching the hows and whys of it. I finally signed up at G3 yesterday and asked why I couldn't seem to install the fixpack and tweak pack together (from a fresh install I can install either of them, but then the other one does the pop up for a second thing), and some kind soul told me it was some problem with the WeiDU auto-updating function, that I had to delete the "setup-XXX.exe" executable for whatever mod I was trying to install and copy the one for any mod that previously worked (the last one you have successfully installed seems to do), copy it and rename the copy to the name of the target mod, and run it and it should work OK. Now I can't promise the auto-updating thing is the cause for every single instance of this problem, but so far this method seems to be working for me. And I'm just repeating what everyone seems to say, but whatever you do to BGII, INSTALL ITS FIXPACK FIRST (NOT the Tweak pack, and literally before everything else, no matter whether you use BGT or Tutu or whatever)! It really seems installing it after anything else has catastrophic consequences for... everything.

I don't know if maybe someone will have posted this same thing already, here or elsewhere, but I have been looking for a solution everywhere and come up empty-handed... I guess the BG modding scene seems to be much more of an obscure and esoteric deal than Torment's.
Post edited September 17, 2012 by Corrales
Thanks GoJays, this guide is great and you took the time to help everyone. I knew of these mods for a while now, but never got to do doing it myself, because some friends told me (couple years ago) some functionalities of Baldur's Gate 1 didn't work properly.

(An example given to me was that the four doomsayers in the garden outside of the big library in the beginning of the game didn't display or didn't sing.)

Can anyone confirm that BG1 presently misses nothing from playing with these mods?
I've never managed to beat BG1, and therefore have never proceeded to BG2 (except for one quick session to check out the beginning and be scared away by a large number of starting quests).

Part of the problem is that BG1's quest journal system is horribly antiquated, and I haven't found a good way to keep track of things (pen and paper? a second computer?). It looks like BGT-WeiDU uses a totally different quest tracking system (including user-defined map pins or somesuch); this is incredibly tempting, but I'm afraid of sacrificing authenticity of experience should I actually manage to play through the whole thing.

Does Steam Overlay work with BG2 in OpenGL mode on modern systems (Windows Vista/7 or even Ubuntu+Wine I guess)? That might be a clincher for me, as I could use that to get to Google Docs to take notes while I play without alt+tabbing.
I'm getting to the widescreen installation (something that worked easily for torment) and entering my resolution of 1366x768 and it keeps looping me back to before I chose to install for the original infinity engine. any help for me as I'd really love to play one of the few Bioware games that I haven't yet
Gosh, I couldn't pass on rebuying the saga last week (it costed less than a cigarette pack..)... even if I still display in my living room the original games (all of 'em !)!!!
So well I'm going to become younger and restart a game ! I've read the mod list and instructions, I'm going for BGT, and would try the UB mods.
I'm not quite sure about the BG1 UB mod install : should I install it before or after BGT ? The post says after, but I'm a bit confused, as it is a BG1 mod .

EDIT : ok, installed as instructed, and no issues ! However now I can't get Widescreen mod to work : install seems to abort (DOS command window closes, can't read what it says..) and after install the game displays in 8 bit color and very low res that can't even fit the screen ! How does it work ??
Post edited September 22, 2012 by PDF
PDF: However now I can't get Widescreen mod to work : install seems to abort (DOS command window closes, can't read what it says..)
Read the thread. Corrales posted your answer just four posts before your question. He must be psychic. (LOL)
PDF: However now I can't get Widescreen mod to work : install seems to abort (DOS command window closes, can't read what it says..)
anamorphic: Read the thread. Corrales posted your answer just four posts before your question. He must be psychic. (LOL)
Oh indeed, I didn't notice ... It worked perfectly ! THx :)