It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

smuggly: I have tried every way to install this mess And it doesnt work. I have the patch installed no trouble. I install the high res patch and hit play and it just starts and stops. No window or anything. I think this fix is not working anymore.

I got it working . I use Galaxy I cant launch from there. I launch from the folder and it works fine. Maybe adimn rights problem?
lord-ondrii: I have same problem. I installed High Res patch and then it doesn't work with GOG Galaxy.
But for me it also doesn't work when I try to launch from the folder :(
Any ideas?

Edit: Yeah! Now it works! I didn't know that Unofficial Arcanum Patch is required :D
I have it on 2 pcs one I had to set ddraw to the 0 option like posted on another thread and it works now normally on that PC.
I was having random graphic corruption and sudden crashes. I found simply deleting the ddraw.dll in the game's directory fixed all my problems.
Post edited June 27, 2019 by Eirinjas
Help please, I've been trying to install the UAP but I'm getting the "error opening file for writing" message.

Tried running as administrator, same result.

Tried running it in elevated command prompt, same result.

And the High Res patch gives me the same error when I run it (both the 1.1 and 1.5 versions):

ERROR: COPY ~Arcanum.exe~ ~Arcanum.exe~ FAILED: cannot open target

I'm on Win7 64bit.

PLEASE HELP!
rakdor: I've been trying to install the UAP but I'm getting the "error opening file for writing" message.
Did you install the game in Program Files or Program Files (x86) directory? If so, please uninstall it and reinstall somewhere else.
There are many examples of various errors in games when they're installed in those directories, so it's a good practice to avoid them, just in case.
rakdor: I've been trying to install the UAP but I'm getting the "error opening file for writing" message.
Kerebron: Did you install the game in Program Files or Program Files (x86) directory? If so, please uninstall it and reinstall somewhere else.
There are many examples of various errors in games when they're installed in those directories, so it's a good practice to avoid them, just in case.
Nope! It's in C:\\GOG Games\Arcanum
It just won't let anything touch the Arcanum.exe
rakdor: It's in C:\\GOG Games\Arcanum
It just won't let anything touch the Arcanum.exe
There's one thing that I'd try before messing with files ownership and access privileges - temporarily removing that space in "GOG Games" - it might do the trick. Some installers don't like spaces in directory names and get lost.
I don't use spaces in directory/files names myself; for legibility, I use underscores.
Alright, so, I restarted the computer and changed the folder name, and it worked! But... only once. After I ran the game, I saw that the High Res patch had worked, however, the game was a bit choppy. I read a post here that said to enable the software renderer in the HighRes config, to make the game smoother, so I did. So I tried to change that in the HighRes settings, and AGAIN the old problem came back ("cannot open target").

So I restart the PC and try again, and it works! But again, after I run Arcanum, the old problem comes back again. So I have to restart the PC whenever I want to make a change. Whatever.

However, after enabling the software renderer, I ran the game and reached the main menu, and I noticed that the cursor was indeed moving more smoothly than before, but... the main menu itself was empty. There were no options...I couldn't even exit and had to kill the process.

So I see someone mentioned in a post here "aqrit's DDrawFix". It replaces 3 DLLs in the Arcanum folder. I tried to apply it, but it wouldn't even let me copy them into the folder without restarting again (so that issue is actually affecting the whole Arcanum directory).

Well, restarted and replaced the DLLs, ran the game, and the main menu is messed up and there's a blue screen in the middle. Not sure what to do now. Maybe because those DLLs are meant to make Win10 run the game smoother, and I'm on Win7?
Post edited August 03, 2019 by rakdor
I figured out my first problem - when I start Arcanum, for some reason it starts two instances of Arcanum, but one is invisible (I only saw it when I opened task manager and saw two Arcanum processes). So it wasn't letting me edit the Arcanum directory while it thought the game was running. Killing the extra process solves the first problem.

My only problem now is my main menu... attached a screenshot.

This is after applying UAP, HighRes 1.5, setting to software renderer and applying aqrit's DDrawFix.
Attachments:
arcanum.png (120 Kb)
Post edited August 03, 2019 by rakdor
Well, did a fresh reinstall, installed UAP and HighRes, and set it to software renderer, and I'm happy to say everything's running smoothly now :) woohoo!
does anyone here can offer the "hq town maps" & "hq mp3s" as an archive?

i can't extract them via the executables, after chosing an install path the installer just closes itself. :/

also, i have no menu after installing the game + uap + high-res + dxwrapper

i tried it with hardware and with software mode, makes no difference.
to quit from the menu, i have to end the task through task manager.

my system:
windows 10
amd ryzen 7 2700x
gtx 1080
game installed on v-nand ssd

EDIT: tried various approaches, nothing worked. either i get a black screen or the mouse/menu is totally sluggish, UNTIL i tried the patches here, but then used the ddraw.dll from here: https://github.com/narzoul/DDrawCompat

still, i can't install the hq maps and mp3s, since the installers won't work for me.
Post edited August 17, 2019 by Onikobe
Onikobe: does anyone here can offer the "hq town maps" & "hq mp3s" as an archive?

i can't extract them via the executables, after chosing an install path the installer just closes itself. :/

(...)

still, i can't install the hq maps and mp3s, since the installers won't work for me.
They are just self-extracting RAR files. If the decompressor you are trying to use can deal with RAR, there should be no issues opening them. You can even rename them from "[...].exe" to "[...].rar" and they will work just as a regular archive. If your decompressor of choice does not have RAR support, try 7-Zip instead.
Onikobe: does anyone here can offer the "hq town maps" & "hq mp3s" as an archive?

(...)

Links: They are just self-extracting RAR files. If the decompressor you are trying to use can deal with RAR, there should be no issues opening them. You can even rename them from "[...].exe" to "[...].rar" and they will work just as a regular archive. If your decompressor of choice does not have RAR support, try 7-Zip instead.
yeah, i only use 7zip, but didn't know you can 'extract' executables. thanks.
On October 1st Drog Black Tooth has released a new version of his Unoffical Arcanum Patch! After almost 10 years (last version has been released in December 2009) he decided to give us even better version of an already great patch. Even though some of the changes might be considered as questionable by some, it adds many interesting features nonetheless and includes HQ Townmaps, HQ Music and HR patch as well which makes the installation of Arcanum mods that much easier.

You can download it here: http://terra-arcanum.com/drog/uap.html#download
Ok, there are 20 pages here. And a very new patch.

I Have windows 10, and I have GOG.

What do I need to do, to use the patch/mods on Arcanum?
necroconvict: Ok, there are 20 pages here. And a very new patch.

I Have windows 10, and I have GOG.

What do I need to do, to use the patch/mods on Arcanum?
All you need is a fresh clean install of Arcanum. Download the 1.51 patch and double click on the installer. Chose the options you wished install and that is it.