It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

It sucks that the unofficial fan patch "fixed" the reflection shield exploit on summoned creatures. I miss my permanent summons... maybe I'll reinstall Gog's Arcanum without the unofficial patch.
The patch just makes my game crash when launching. Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.
boredgunner: The patch just makes my game crash when launching. Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.
Does it do it when you start a brand new game as well? Once you install the patch, you can't continue any pre-patched games.

I run the game on Win 7 64-bit, no problem. If you're having problems even getting the game to run, try right-clicking on the Arcanum icon, clicking Properties, and typing or pasting the following into the Target window, including the quote marks:

"C:\GOG Games\Arcanum\Arcanum.exe" -no3d -scrolldist:0 -scrollfps:70

If that still doesn't work, try running the game in compatibility mode set to an earlier version, such as Vista, or even Win XP.

And if that doesn't work, it may be a graphics card compatibility issue; which I can't help you with, but others here might be able to. Good luck.
Post edited December 04, 2016 by TwoHandedSword
boredgunner: The patch just makes my game crash when launching. Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.
TwoHandedSword: Does it do it when you start a brand new game as well? Once you install the patch, you can't continue any pre-patched games.

I run the game on Win 7 64-bit, no problem. If you're having problems even getting the game to run, try right-clicking on the Arcanum icon, clicking Properties, and typing or pasting the following into the Target window, including the quote marks:

"C:\GOG Games\Arcanum\Arcanum.exe" -no3d -scrolldist:0 -scrollfps:70

If that still doesn't work, try running the game in compatibility mode set to an earlier version, such as Vista, or even Win XP.

And if that doesn't work, it may be a graphics card compatibility issue; which I can't help you with, but others here might be able to. Good luck.
Thanks, I tried compatibility mode on all the XP settings and even Windows 2000, but I'll try the shortcut target commands too. I couldn't even get into the main menu and have no previous saves anyway so that wasn't the issue.

- UPDATE: Wow, I tried all of that, and also removed it from Creative ALchemy just in case. Nothing, still crashing instantly before getting into the main menu. I guess this game is lost on me.
Post edited December 05, 2016 by boredgunner
Boredgunner,

First, remove any compatibility options from Arcanum.exe, except:

[v] Disable desktop composition
&
[v] Disable visual themes

and then
[v] Run as Administrator

next, download the "ddraw" file that GanjaStar, and bitcode mentioned earlier from:

"Google" this: v0.2.1 ddraw.zip

go to the following website:
"Releases · narzoul/DDrawCompat · GitHub"

download the ddraw.zip file listed under :DDrawCompat v0.2.1.

next extract the "ddraw.dll" file from the "ddraw.zip.

put the "ddraw.dll" file into the main Arcanum Folder, and overwrite the built-in one.

then run Arcanum.exe as usual.

It should at very least run right now. If it works, we can talk again, about *how* you want it
to run, like resolution etc etc
(I apologize for not posting a direct link, or really, a link of any kind, because GOG seems to be blocking my link-posting ability, for some strange, bizarre reason...
thebluedaredevil: (I apologize for not posting a direct link, or really, a link of any kind, because GOG seems to be blocking my link-posting ability, for some strange, bizarre reason...
The "strange, bizarre reason" is your low rep; you need at least 7 (IIRC) to post links, though there is a workaround: a hack involving quoting the links, rather than trying to post them directly.

The rep system, before it was abused beyond belief by trolls and griefers in the general forum, was originally intended to frustrate spammers and spam bots. Most of them didn't have (or weren't programmed with) the patience to make daily posts or provide helpful responses for long enough to get their number up to the minimum, before blowing their cover and showing their true colors.
Post edited January 09, 2017 by TwoHandedSword
wow, that was "witty"
thebluedaredevil: Boredgunner,

First, remove any compatibility options from Arcanum.exe, except:

[v] Disable desktop composition
&
[v] Disable visual themes

and then
[v] Run as Administrator

next, download the "ddraw" file that GanjaStar, and bitcode mentioned earlier from:

"Google" this: v0.2.1 ddraw.zip

go to the following website:
"Releases · narzoul/DDrawCompat · GitHub"

download the ddraw.zip file listed under :DDrawCompat v0.2.1.

next extract the "ddraw.dll" file from the "ddraw.zip.

put the "ddraw.dll" file into the main Arcanum Folder, and overwrite the built-in one.

then run Arcanum.exe as usual.

It should at very least run right now. If it works, we can talk again, about *how* you want it
to run, like resolution etc etc
(I apologize for not posting a direct link, or really, a link of any kind, because GOG seems to be blocking my link-posting ability, for some strange, bizarre reason...
Hey thanks, this worked! Now I'm playing it patched at 2560 x 1440, so far with no issues.

Would you happen to know if that ddraw.dll file will get Planescape: Torment to work on Windows 10?
HI there, i've downloaded the game but (obviously) it run at 800x600, with a quick search i found many guide and patch (hd patch, fps improver, high definition iten and maps, etc.).

My problem is that i'm really confused by them, they are too many and (usually) too old. Idon't know if i can use them or not, if there is a new version or not and so on.

Can you help me? What are the latest and best patch (for hd resolution especially)
Thank you

p.s.
i've installed the hd patch from terra-arcanum but now the game is decentrated (the screen image is half out of the monitor) and i cant use the mouse
gorthan9: ...
I followed the instruction from this video. One of the commenter have a link to all the needed files:
https://docs.google.com/uc?id=0B3Cp-ZsbVlJwZEw0OTlHZWJLLUU&export=download

Basically just installed all of them to the Arcanum folder and extracted the Infinity Engine's ddraw.dll over the original. Also not sure needed, but I installed DirectX9.

Then I added these switches to the game's shortcut: -no3d -doublebuffer -scrolldist:0 -scrollfps:70

The one problem I have on full screen is if I press ALT+TAB, the game still covers the entire screen and I can't do anything unless I exit the game entirely. In order to fix this, I removed the "-doublebuffer" switch from the shortcut, and add: -window, to run the game in window mode. This seems to make everything run well
Post edited February 10, 2017 by eksasol
gorthan9: ...
eksasol: I followed the instruction from this video.
thanks, the istruction are clear and i followed it but the problem is always the same:

- no windowed
- no cursor
- decentrated image (and video and logo lanunching the game)

i really cant understand, i disinstalled the game and reinstalled it before doing everything but the game still have problems..
gorthan9: .
Have you tried making the shortcut with these modifiers as I mentioned:
-no3d -window -scrolldist:0 -scrollfps:70
Post edited February 24, 2017 by eksasol
gorthan9: .
eksasol: Have you tried making the shortcut with these modifiers as I mentioned:
-no3d -window -scrolldist:0 -scrollfps:70
yes, i've done exactly what you suggested a couple of post ago and now i inserted the shortcut again but nothing seems appen.

i really don't understand...
I also needed dgvoodoo (http://dege.freeweb.hu/) and some switches (-no3d, -doublebuffer) to get it to a playable state in Windows 10.

To be honest, the GOG version should be updated to include these fixes, and possibly even the unofficial patch as well (they did it with VtM Bloodlines), as the game isn't really playable in win10 as is currently.
Is there a link for those that doesn't require watching a Flash video?

I mean, I'd watch an ad to pay their hosting, but I'm not going to install flash just for that...