It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Hello All,

There are so many helpful gamers around I thought I'd see if anyone can help me with my Arcanum issue.

Two related issues: Aspect ratio & glitching at the games opening menu.

My native resolution is 1920x1080. I've installed Drog's UAP and Hi Res patch. I have tried several different resolutions with said patch, but the game screen never scales. I will play any game regardless of graphics. But playing this only using a 1/3 of the screen is just silly. Here is my caveat!! = Apparently my laptop routes the Nvidia graphics through Intel graphics properties(?) So to Fix Scaling, I have to use the Intel menu. My options with the Nvidia control panel are limited. And with the Intel menu, I have no fix scaling option at 1920x1080.

So when I leave my computer resolution as normal, the game looks fine, just 4:3. When I try different 16:9 resolutions with my graphics properties, matching those I set with the high res patch, the game screen looks like a Jackson Pollock. And I have yet to see the game go WIDE!! Under any circumstance.

Hopefully I'm missing something obvious. I've scoured forums but have not seen anyone mention my specific little problem. I really want to play this tasty game, so I come to you with hat in hand. Thanks for your time.

Spex: Windows 8aaaaate / i7 / geforce 770M / bla bla bla
wizzyendor123: So when I leave my computer resolution as normal, the game looks fine, just 4:3. When I try different 16:9 resolutions with my graphics properties, matching those I set with the high res patch, the game screen looks like a Jackson Pollock. And I have yet to see the game go WIDE!! Under any circumstance.
No replies after 4 days...

Well, don't give up. I've never seen a problem like you're having, but then I don't suppose too many people have tried to play Arcanum on Windows 8 yet.
wizzyendor123: So when I leave my computer resolution as normal, the game looks fine, just 4:3. When I try different 16:9 resolutions with my graphics properties, matching those I set with the high res patch, the game screen looks like a Jackson Pollock. And I have yet to see the game go WIDE!! Under any circumstance.
UniversalWolf: No replies after 4 days...

Well, don't give up. I've never seen a problem like you're having, but then I don't suppose too many people have tried to play Arcanum on Windows 8 yet.
Haha I appreciate your reply good sir. I'm fine for now, the backlog is strong. But I will sweeten the pot. If anyone can help me achieve widescreen, I shall gift them the $5.99 game of their choice!
wizzyendor123: Haha I appreciate your reply good sir. I'm fine for now, the backlog is strong. But I will sweeten the pot. If anyone can help me achieve widescreen, I shall gift them the $5.99 game of their choice!
No need for bribery! At least for me, heh.

Have you tried asking on the forums over at Terra Arcanum? You might be able to get more info there. There are still a fair number of hard-core Arcanum fans posting regularly.

http://www.terra-arcanum.com/
wizzyendor123, have you done the usual avoid installing in program files/x86 or giving admin rights to the exe?

Also, I don't recall how the widescreen mod worked but if there's an ini file involved try setting it to read-only.

I just noticed you're on Windows 8 so try disable desktop composition and visual themes.
Hi guys, I am looking forward to try out these nice mods in about a month, I loved playing Arcanum back in those days.

In the meantime, I am curious whether the new patch addressed the loophole of getting virtually infinite reaction for certain NPCs (by repeating a line that rewards you with positive reaction over and over again). I didn't see it addressed in the changelog, I only see "fixed wrong reaction modifiers".

That one minor glitch really bugged me back then (and I suppose it could be easily fixed by restricting that particular dialog option to only appear once). Can anyone say whether the glitch is gone or persists?

Thank you.

EDIT: Ok, I can now answer my own question (since nobody did, in the meantime). It is not fixed, you can still have unlimited reactions with particular NPCs. I'll try really hard not to exploit this glitch :).
Post edited June 20, 2014 by mmilanese
Dear GOG, please backup the essential patches/mods. It seems reasonable to place at least the unofficial patch next to the installer download.
Are there actually Mods that have been made to expand the game? I am doubtful they will ever make an Arcanum 2 but It would be nice if there was more content.
wizzyendor123: Hello All,

There are so many helpful gamers around I thought I'd see if anyone can help me with my Arcanum issue.

My native resolution is 1920x1080. I've installed Drog's UAP and Hi Res patch. I have tried several different resolutions with said patch, but the game screen never scales. I will play any game regardless of graphics. But playing this only using a 1/3 of the screen is just silly. Here is my caveat!! = Apparently my laptop routes the Nvidia graphics through Intel graphics properties(?) So to Fix Scaling, I have to use the Intel menu. My options with the Nvidia control panel are limited. And with the Intel menu, I have no fix scaling option at 1920x1080.

So when I leave my computer resolution as normal, the game looks fine, just 4:3. When I try different 16:9 resolutions with my graphics properties, matching those I set with the high res patch, the game screen looks like a Jackson Pollock. And I have yet to see the game go WIDE!! Under any circumstance.

Hopefully I'm missing something obvious. I've scoured forums but have not seen anyone mention my specific little problem. I really want to play this tasty game, so I come to you with hat in hand. Thanks for your time.

Be sure you selected "High-performance NVIDIA processor" for arcanum.exe in the NVIDIA Control Panel -> Manage 3D Settings.
I've had so many issues with older games and the crappy intel video chip (which is fine for videos but many games, including newer indies, have issues running because of missing opengl extensions and whatnot)

And as usual, try compatibility modes, run as admin, etc... maybe you havent installed the hires patch properly?
Post edited May 14, 2014 by sylvain-p
wizzyendor123: Hello All,

If it's any consolation, I have the same problem. Same specs too, but GeForce 750M. The game's installed to the GOG folder which is NOT under Program Files (x86) for me. I also tried running the Hi-Res installer as admin, to no avail. It still just shrinks my screen to a little narrower than 4:3. I've been playing that way and it's fine, but it'd be nicer to see more of the map in 1920x1080 (not to mention a bit more convenient when running around).
I wasn't sure about these mods until, using the unpatched version from GOG, I lost 4 pts of Dex from temporarily wielding a cursed sword. Time to start over since the UAP fixed that. Anyway, I'm using the UAP, High Res Maps and High Res mods from Terra Arcanum, along w/ the level cap remover. Looks and plays just great!

My only slight annoyance is sometimes it's hard to scroll (mouse or arrow keys) past the edge of the on-screen map. Especially in the NW direction. But that's a small price to pay.

This is a very cool game, and one I've waited many years to play. I can see why the fan community remains strong.
I've wanted to play this game for a rather long time, and this mod guide has helped immensely. Primarily due to the high resolution patch, fonts, and bugfixes. High-quality townmaps is fantastic though, as a nice extra mod to have. Thank you OP, now this game is definitely something I am going play soon!
Do the animations of toons have been modded? so they don't run like little girls.
1 download with 3 files inside (dropbox)

- UAP091225
- HQ Townmaps
- HighRes patch

for the people coming tonight from SG
Hi there,

So after installing the few patches (UAP, HQ Town and Hi-Res + one to set the game in french), my problem is that on the main screen, as soon as I move the mouse, the texts become blurry which make them impossible to read (see the capture below)

It's not the french patch (I removed it, didn't change anything) and it's not the Hi-Res patch (removed it too, still no change).
Also, the game is installed (like otther games) in a specific directory, not Program Files.

UPDATE : so i've uninstalled/ re-installed the game, launched it in "vanilla" version and the problem remains.
So either it comes from the game or I need to configure something with my graphic card (a GeForce GTX 750ti with the latest drivers 340.52).

UPDATE 2 : fixed it ! For those who have the same problem : turn off the Anti-Aliasing stuff in the settings of your graphic card.
Attachments:
Post edited September 08, 2014 by Snowman59