It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

So, I just started playing this little gem that I have for some reason missed out on for twenty years. I love it so far, however, I'm stuck on the second scenario, One Lonely Settlement.

I'm running out of tools and am still far away from producing my own. Obviously I've been trying to buy them from the free traders, however, those don't even seem to be present on the map at all. They don't come to my ports and I also can't see any when exploring the whole map. I wonder if there are any special conditions that have to be met to make them appear.

I've read in a guide that trading supposedly becomes available in this scenario once you settle on another island. Well, I've done that, twice. I have three docks/warehouses, I've set them all to buy tools and sell cloth and liquor, alas, still no trader.

Any ideas? Am I missing something? Or can it be that the game somehow glitched out on me and has not recognised that I've settled on another island?

Edit: Funny. I started over, the trader still wouldn't show up. As I was about to run out of tools again the game suddenly told me that I had fulfilled the assignment, God knows why. I'm 90% certain that I had taken all tools from the main island so they shouldn't have been able to upgrade their homes and become citizens. Meanwhile my secondary island was booming, my best guess is that somehow that one's progress triggered the objective even though the scenario description stated that specifically the first island has to achieve a certain population.

I guess there's a slight chance that a trader did show up eventually and that's how the first island got the tools but I would have noticed a free trader at my second island that I was focusing on, wouldn't I?
Post edited December 10, 2017 by F4LL0UT
This question / problem has been solved by Zodiac_Aimage
F4LL0UT: snip
I admit I never figured out how or when the trader shows up, but offering stuff to sell on low prices as well as paying high prices does seem to increase the chance of them dropping by.

Once they did visit you, you can increase your margin, but don't bet on it....they seem to be reaaaaally capitalistic ;)
F4LL0UT: So, I just started playing this little gem that I have for some reason missed out on for twenty years. I love it so far, however, I'm stuck on the second scenario, One Lonely Settlement.

I'm running out of tools and am still far away from producing my own. Obviously I've been trying to buy them from the free traders, however, those don't even seem to be present on the map at all. They don't come to my ports and I also can't see any when exploring the whole map. I wonder if there are any special conditions that have to be met to make them appear.

I've read in a guide that trading supposedly becomes available in this scenario once you settle on another island. Well, I've done that, twice. I have three docks/warehouses, I've set them all to buy tools and sell cloth and liquor, alas, still no trader.

Any ideas? Am I missing something? Or can it be that the game somehow glitched out on me and has not recognised that I've settled on another island?

Edit: Funny. I started over, the trader still wouldn't show up. As I was about to run out of tools again the game suddenly told me that I had fulfilled the assignment, God knows why. I'm 90% certain that I had taken all tools from the main island so they shouldn't have been able to upgrade their homes and become citizens. Meanwhile my secondary island was booming, my best guess is that somehow that one's progress triggered the objective even though the scenario description stated that specifically the first island has to achieve a certain population.

I guess there's a slight chance that a trader did show up eventually and that's how the first island got the tools but I would have noticed a free trader at my second island that I was focusing on, wouldn't I?
This is the restriction of this campain scenario, so free traders will never show up, instead of pirates will came soon. Plan your buildings correctly. When you will have 120 settlers you will became able to build a irone ore.
Zodiac_A: This is the restriction of this campain scenario, so free traders will never show up, instead of pirates will came soon. Plan your buildings correctly. When you will have 120 settlers you will became able to build a irone ore.
Yeah, well, I would have figured that that's simply how the scenario works if it hadn't been for a walkthrough that I looked up and which explicitly mentioned the free traders and suggested reducing prices to attract them or something. Well, who knows, may have been a difference in the game version. The GOG version seems to be the American release (since the title screen says "1602 A.D.") while the walkthrough was based on the European version as far as I can tell.
Zodiac_A: This is the restriction of this campain scenario, so free traders will never show up, instead of pirates will came soon. Plan your buildings correctly. When you will have 120 settlers you will became able to build a irone ore.
F4LL0UT: Yeah, well, I would have figured that that's simply how the scenario works if it hadn't been for a walkthrough that I looked up and which explicitly mentioned the free traders and suggested reducing prices to attract them or something. Well, who knows, may have been a difference in the game version. The GOG version seems to be the American release (since the title screen says "1602 A.D.") while the walkthrough was based on the European version as far as I can tell.
You was wery close to the thruth. This mission is the NINA campain scenarious. They had bugs and there was a few patches. In the last patch the restrictions become as i told before.
In the previos version in these mission you begin with the AI players, but there was some troubles in finishing these mission, so mission restriction changed in later patch.
Zodiac_A: You was wery close to the thruth. This mission is the NINA campain scenarious.
Actually no, you must have confused the missions. As I said, the scenario I'm talking about is One Lonely Island and it's (unless I'm mistaken) one of the base game missions. It's what the menu suggests (it's in "scenarios", not "additional scenarios") and the walkthrough's author explicitly stated that he did not have the NINA expansion pack and only covered the base game's missions in his walkthrough.

Either way, I presume that the discrepancies between the walkthrough and my experience come from version differences and at least in some version the free trader was present in that scenario.
Post edited December 29, 2017 by F4LL0UT