It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Alright. Bought the game...

I. Downloaded the installer: Went to my GOG library and downloaded the installer ("setup_avp_classic_2.1.0.25.exe"; 468MB). FireFox would not download it as as an .exe, only as a "PART" file until I paused my AV program. IE doesn't work period, so using it is out of the question.

II. Installed game: Ran the installer and it certainly took its time. No problems that I could see.

III. Attempted to run: Double-clicked the game ("AvP_Classic.exe" application). I immediately get two-in-a-row error boxes "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc00001d). Click on OK to terminate the application."

Advise??

Thank you.

Sincerely,
BStone
No posts in this topic were marked as the solution yet. If you can help, add your reply
BStone: Alright. Bought the game...

I. Downloaded the installer: Went to my GOG library and downloaded the installer ("setup_avp_classic_2.1.0.25.exe"; 468MB). FireFox would not download it as as an .exe, only as a "PART" file until I paused my AV program. IE doesn't work period, so using it is out of the question.

II. Installed game: Ran the installer and it certainly took its time. No problems that I could see.

III. Attempted to run: Double-clicked the game ("AvP_Classic.exe" application). I immediately get two-in-a-row error boxes "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc00001d). Click on OK to terminate the application."

Advise??

Thank you.

Sincerely,
BStone
Maybe because the newest version of the .exe is "setup_avp_classic_2.1.0.26.exe," not "setup_avp_classic_2.1.0.25.exe."

Advise??

Thank you.

Sincerely,
BStone
Olde72: Maybe because the newest version of the .exe is "setup_avp_classic_2.1.0.26.exe," not "setup_avp_classic_2.1.0.25.exe."
Where would I find that?

Thank you.
Olde72: Maybe because the newest version of the .exe is "setup_avp_classic_2.1.0.26.exe," not "setup_avp_classic_2.1.0.25.exe."
BStone: Where would I find that?

Thank you.
Um, oh wow, if you download the setup installer from your GOG library, it gives you version 2.1.0.25, not the newest version. Either they regressed and you're having a different problem, or they screwed up.
Just forget it. The game doesn't work. >:|

I guess no one on the entire internet knows how to fix this problem, and no AvP owner has ever experienced it either. The closest thing I found was the Adobe website forums where a copy of Photoshop had the same error. In their case anyway it was tied to a comparability issue with AMD Athlon processors and it took the Photoshop programmers to fix it. That certainly isn't the case here as this game pre-dates Athlon processors.

Thanks for your help anyway,
Post edited May 29, 2015 by BStone

Advise??

Thank you.

Sincerely,
BStone
Crazydaisy's son here. It could be that either your anti-virus or the Firefox downloader corrupted the download...you should really use GOG's downloader and do it again. Uninstall and get rid of the game's leftovers first. Make sure you have the latest version of the GOG downloader.

If you have some aversion to using the GOG downloader you CAN resume with it. Just make sure that if you have to exit it or restart your system that you first, pause the download, make sure it stops, exit the GOG downloader, make a copy of the currently downloaded stuff just in case, then log back into GOG, find the link page again, and click the link again to start it back correctly...if it doesn't, delete the download and put the copy in its place and try again.

Bare in mind sometimes you may lose some of the download and it will have to re-download from wherever it starts, I think. Also, don't logout of the GOG downloader, like, at all while downloading. Just make sure to log back into the site to get to the download link again, and stay logged into the site as well while DLing. Don't turn the GOG downloader on or have it come on itself when you're downloading unless it gets logged out, just resume your download using the link and it should pop back up itself. This should help it work better in resuming.

In the settings for the GOG downloader I have everything unchecked and the number of concurrent connections is set to 1.

Only do one big download at a time or several small ones.

Hope this helps.