It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Hi guys!
I know you all wanna play, but since AvP has no stable servers it's quite useless to randomly start a game a browse for a nonexistent mp session. And I was thinking. Since GOG removed PM's and gave us chat, we can probably organize duel session in more efficient way, but until the group chats are available, it's not enough.

Secondly, we all are from different world regions with different time needs. And that's maybe more serious issue. So I created an online questionaire: HERE so please give it some spare time and fill it. It's anonymous, simply for knowing how many people could host the game, at what times and which gamemodes. All times are in UTC. If you're not sure what the UTC currently is, there's link in the formular for current UTC time. For BST is -1 from BST and for CEST is -2 from CEST. Not sure about the other times.

We'll see after week or couple of weeks, what will be suitable for most of the people. And I am truly sorry, but if you're only available in a very specific time, you're probably not gonna play, but I hope that something like 3 major groups will emerge so everybody will be happy.

NON RELEVANT PARAGRAPH ANYMORE: Next thing, maybe attractive for pirates, but they won't read the GOG forums anyway. There's MelPyth AvP patch out there. Look it up, it will create another AvP exe (leaving the GOG one still usable, game works like a charm) but instead of Classic 2000 edition it's Gold edition. So LAN play, Direct IP connect and even a Modem play are available for those who want to play with their friend. There is a little problem though. Many people claim (also me) that when you actually want to play a game, strange black artifacts are overlaying the actual graphics, so it's impossible to play. Main menu is fine, game not. If you find a solution, please share with the others.

Latest thing. Veteran players probably know it (as well as MelPyth) but I am not veteran player as well as, hopefully, many others. The ultimate map pack! 111 new maps for MP. It works great with GOG release. Download HERE. This one will probably spice up multiplayer session.

Wow, that's a lot of text. Ok, one last notice. I said it in another thread and I will repeat it. AvP fans all around the world - socialize and friend yourselves via still badly designed GOG friend functions. We're gonna need it. Also tell fellow marines and extraterrestrials to participate in this thread.

TL;DR:
> Fill THIS questionaire, so we can figure out when to play MP sessions.
> Wanna spice up MP? Download HERE the 111 maps mappack!
> Friend with fellow players here on GOG
> Stay put for updates

Thanks for your efforts everybuddy. I know we can get Galaxy a proper online testing it needs ;)
Post edited May 18, 2015 by Doomista
The MelPyth mod only works if you have Gold Edition already installed. It's programmed to search for Program Files\Fox\Aliens versus Predator and modifies the code for that version only since it was released before Classic 2000 and Rebellion tweaked the code of Classic. The black box problem happens on all computers with Windows 7 or above. You can use [url=http://homepage.eircom.net/~duncandsl/avp/]sirlemonhead's patch[/url] to fix it but you need Gold Edition first and even then I don't think the LAN, TCP/IP, etc. options work.
Post edited May 17, 2015 by Olde72
Olde72: The MelPyth mod only works if you have Gold Edition already installed. It's programmed to search for Program Files\Fox\Aliens versus Predator and modifies the code for that version only since it was released before Classic 2000 and Rebellion tweaked the code of Classic. The black box problem happens on all computers with Windows 7 or above. You can use [url=[url=http://homepage.eircom.net/~duncandsl/avp/]sirlemonhead's patch[/url] to fix it but you need Gold Edition first and even then I don't think the LAN, TCP/IP, etc. options work.
I actually found MelPyth on steam forum and people got it to work with the 2000 classic. And it's not programmed to search and replace certain files, it just replaces files, so you can install it alongside with 2000C and make it work. But thanks for the patch. Your link is broken, but I managed to get the right path out of it [url=http://homepage.eircom.net/~duncandsl/avp/]WORKING LINK[/url]. According to it's homepage it should work with the 2000C edition (and it really does, like a charm). But multiplayer options are different. Tomorrow I'll test the LAN support, but I am sure it will work.
Latest executable avp gold
Source code update by Barry
[url=http://homepage.eircom.net/~duncandsl/avp]http://homepage.eircom.net/~duncandsl/avp[/url]/
mappack
http://www.moddb.com/games/aliens-vs-predator/addons/universal-map-pack-v101
snin pack
http://www.moddb.com/games/aliens-vs-predator/addons/universal-skins-pack-v10
Post edited May 17, 2015 by LuciferITA
Doomista: I actually found MelPyth on steam forum and people got it to work with the 2000 classic. And it's not programmed to search and replace certain files, it just replaces files, so you can install it alongside with 2000C and make it work. But thanks for the patch. Your link is broken, but I managed to get the right path out of it [url=http://homepage.eircom.net/~duncandsl/avp/]WORKING LINK[/url]. According to it's homepage it should work with the 2000C edition (and it really does, like a charm). But multiplayer options are different. Tomorrow I'll test the LAN support, but I am sure it will work.
MelPyth doesn't replace certain files, it is a standalone .exe. All it needs are the basic files (graphics, sounds, levels) in whatever folder you've got it in to have it work. It doesn't depend on the AvP.exe or AvP_Classic.exe, it just needs the same files. So MelPyth technically does work with AVP Classic 2000 (more specifically, Classic 2000's files), but since it was built with the code of Gold Edition, it gives the same bug as with Gold Edition whenever a level loads. This bug is that every frame stays on the screen when you move, which doesn't allow you to see what on earth is going on. So even if you could get LAN to work on the MelPyth mod, I don't see what the point is if you can't see anything. I've tried compatibility mode but that doesn't work, either.

Modern computers can't display the game properly. I've only gotten the mod to work on an old computer with Windows XP or earlier. If you've found a way to display the mod and/or Gold Edition properly on new computers, aside from a virtualization, I would be overjoyed.
Post edited May 17, 2015 by Olde72
Olde72: if you could get LAN to work on the MelPyth mod, I don't see what the point is if you can't see anything. I've tried compatibility mode but that doesn't work, either.
Yeah, I've also tried the compatibility. But my point was to use actually the patch you've linked - the sirlemonhead's one. It has LAN/Direct IP option too and I believe it will work. But I understand that MelPyth has some extra features that makes it unique, way better than sirlemonhead.
The reason why I included any mentions of MelPyth in this post were its LAN features many people looked for in many threads here on GOG. But unless there are people who know port forwarding and they are willing to do it, the 2000C is probably best way to play online and any LAN features are nonrelevant for them.
Doomista: Yeah, I've also tried the compatibility. But my point was to use actually the patch you've linked - the sirlemonhead's one. It has LAN/Direct IP option too and I believe it will work. But I understand that MelPyth has some extra features that makes it unique, way better than sirlemonhead.
The reason why I included any mentions of MelPyth in this post were its LAN features many people looked for in many threads here on GOG. But unless there are people who know port forwarding and they are willing to do it, the 2000C is probably best way to play online and any LAN features are nonrelevant for them.
Exactly. I've tried multiplayer through lemonhead's mod and it doesn't work, even with forwarded ports. I'm pretty sure he himself has acknowledged that the multiplayer doesn't work. C2K is really the best option for multiplayer nowadays, especially now that Steam and GOG players can play with each other. MelPyth added some awesome features, yeah, but without anyone else to play it with you, there's not much point.
I checked the google form state, seems like the only one person actually done it. Guys, I know it kinda sucks, but if we even don't know when to agree on a MP session then how we're gonna play it?
Olde72: Exactly. I've tried multiplayer through lemonhead's mod and it doesn't work, even with forwarded ports. I'm pretty sure he himself has acknowledged that the multiplayer doesn't work. C2K is really the best option for multiplayer nowadays, especially now that Steam and GOG players can play with each other. MelPyth added some awesome features, yeah, but without anyone else to play it with you, there's not much point.
Okay I surrender. I just hardreseted two computers after unknown error after establishing LAN connection in sirlemonhead's version. From now on, I will just cowardly stick with 2000C version
Doomista: I checked the google form state, seems like the only one person actually done it. Guys, I know it kinda sucks, but if we even don't know when to agree on a MP session then how we're gonna play it?
I am sorry to say, but this game just doesn't have enough of a committed community in order to go onto these websites and actively try and make a game. We tried that same with the steam community members (a more active community) and even there we had a very lacklustre result.
Grzegorz925: I am sorry to say, but this game just doesn't have enough of a committed community in order to go onto these websites and actively try and make a game. We tried that same with the steam community members (a more active community) and even there we had a very lacklustre result.
What a shame
Grzegorz925: I am sorry to say, but this game just doesn't have enough of a committed community in order to go onto these websites and actively try and make a game. We tried that same with the steam community members (a more active community) and even there we had a very lacklustre result.
Doomista: What a shame
AvPGalaxy Forums » Games » Alien-Predator Games » Topic: New AVP Classic 2000 Tournament on Steam
http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=52279.0
Post edited May 18, 2015 by LuciferITA
LuciferITA: AvPGalaxy Forums » Games » Alien-Predator Games » Topic: New AVP Classic 2000 Tournament on Steam
http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=52279.0
Irrelevant post, that tournament ended nearly 2 months ago.