It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The Aliens Versus Predator Classic 2000 uses the Galaxy multiplayer library. Please read the points below before posting any feedback regarding the multiplayer game experience. Thank you!

1. Always start (or restart) the Launcher before playing the game. Let the update process finish (wait until status text changes to UP TO DATE), before clicking the PLAY button.

2. If you encounter any problem that you consider connected with the multiplayer, please go to http://mantis.gog.com/set_project.php?project_id=14&ref=bug_report_page.php, log in with your GOG.com account as usual and create an issue for us there please. Add a detailed description, and if possible, a method of reproducing it.
Post edited October 20, 2014 by Venom
I have found only 3 issues with the multiplayer component of the game.

1.- User name in game. I don't use my old user name any more (I would love to be able change it here in GOG), and if it's going to be force upon the users to use GOG user name, then what's the point in typing a new one in the game.
2.- Ping... I joined a match with some guys having 800 and something of ping. The enemies were lagging like hell, and the game was like Dark Souls, attack future enemy position, and defend your self from the past. Once there were players with 90-ish ping, the game ran like butter, awesome experience, no cheap kills. I can just image how it would be like with players with ping lower than 60!
3.- Some times the audio get cut for some time, but after a short while it get back to normal.

In any case, thanks for the opportunity to try this multiplayer beta component, and also the game. I have the normal retail game, and I use it to benchmark my old computers.
Tomorrow I'll try it on linux, but as far as I remember, the 2000 version of the game had problems with Wine, only retail worked without problems.
Will see...
I was browsing what species should I be when I got thrown out into the main menu. I guess, the session ceased to exist. After that I had a clicking noise that only stopped when I exited the game.
Tonyx35: You need to launch/run the game by using the shortcut named "Aliens vs Predator Classic 2000 - Galaxy Client"
the first screenshot I attached shows you what shortcuts the Gog Installer created in the start menu.

"Aliens vs Predator Classic 2000" -shortcut will only run the Single Player and Multiplayer feature does not work A bit confusing because they use the same icon image.

The second screenshot that I have included shows what the launcher should look like.

If you ran the shortcut and the game automatically started, then that is the wrong shortcut. Exit back to desktop and try the other one.
RetroVGN: I launched both the AvP_Classic EXE, and the Shortcut in here, still no Multiplayer. I see an icon for the Launcher, but no Launcher. This is EXACTLY what I got in the GOG download after redeeming my code in the Screenshot below. I am getting super-livid here, as this game is REAAAALLLY old and should work by now, it's only 14 years later. If this is how GOG does with a BETA program, I don't wanna do the next one. Cool game, but faulty managing and programming.
Yo mate, the launcher is in the start menu, GOG.com submenu, AVP classic submenu, first icon. Not in the desktop nor game folder.
The shourtcut, points to another direcction with some commands, I guess you can create a shortcut anywhere and type in the following.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\GalaxyClient\GalaxyClient.exe" /gameId=1207665883 /command=launch /path="C:\GOG Games\AvP Classic"

That is if you installed the game in the default folder.
Cheers!
Post edited October 24, 2014 by saderfer
Ladron3dfx: SinglePlayer mode works fine, game loads quickly, no framerate lag whatsoever.

MultiPlayer mode fails to connect the majority of times. Game connection error message is displayed. Hosting/Connecting when possible creates heavy framerate and audio lag. Game becomes unresponsive and I must force exit majority of time. When possible, returning to main menu and loading SP mode the game suffers from the same MP framerate and audio lag. Exiting game completely and restarting solves the issue.

Disabling pc software firewall and lowering router firewall to its lowest setting, MP result is same connection errors and framerate/audio lag.

I have no idea how to solve this so I'll just enjoy the SP mode to its fullest. =)
I reported this in the bug report system in the stickied post. You may want to add your system specs so as to bump the issue as I also encountered the CPU lag problem in multiplayer. Just out of curiosity, do you have an ATI/AMD graphics card?
Seems to run perfectly for me - nothing much else to say on my end really.
I can only assume - I've attempted connecting to two games, and while the first failed, the second one worked perfectly - that when I failed to join a game, it was because the game had filled up before I had managed to join.

Either way, the multiplayer integration works pretty nicely, although my WinXP computer can't even load up the login page for the launcher. It's an old OS at any rate and I'm likely to eventually replace that computer for everyday use anyhow.
I tried to join an SDM game a few times and each attempt was met by an error in connecting. The following attempt to connect to a co-op game worked however, and played smoothly. 30min game segued into another 30minute game with no issue.
There were the odd in-game glitch it seemed, but difficult to tell if it was related to the game itself rather than the Galaxy libraries. We're talking animated characters still present after their death, causing me to loose off more ammo at them, wasting it.
I experienced a bug right now... I managed to connect to a multiplayer match, but for some reason my nick wouldn't display - my name field was just empty. Also, the message box kept writing "has connected to the match" with no name in front of it every second or so. Other than that, the match worked fine, and earlier I had played another match which worked perfectly.
Ladron3dfx: SinglePlayer mode works fine, game loads quickly, no framerate lag whatsoever.

MultiPlayer mode fails to connect the majority of times. Game connection error message is displayed. Hosting/Connecting when possible creates heavy framerate and audio lag. Game becomes unresponsive and I must force exit majority of time. When possible, returning to main menu and loading SP mode the game suffers from the same MP framerate and audio lag. Exiting game completely and restarting solves the issue.

Disabling pc software firewall and lowering router firewall to its lowest setting, MP result is same connection errors and framerate/audio lag.

I have no idea how to solve this so I'll just enjoy the SP mode to its fullest. =)
AdmiralBarrett: I reported this in the bug report system in the stickied post. You may want to add your system specs so as to bump the issue as I also encountered the CPU lag problem in multiplayer. Just out of curiosity, do you have an ATI/AMD graphics card?
Thanks, I reported my specs and bumped the issue. I have Nvidia GeForce.

I tried many times to get multi to work, it leads to frustration. SP good, MP bad. =/
Not everybody lives where you can get a nice low ping rate. But yes the game is cool and fun. How do you enter dialouge? I see others typing but can't see where to enter text? I am using multi player and it works well. Lots of quick kills and it makes me laugh that if I get hit by the spray from dead aliens they call that a suicide!
Post edited October 25, 2014 by Dadzilla-5
I'm just posting this since GOG was kind enough to give me the game for free (yay!)

Honestly I haven't had too much issue with the multiplayer performance. The matches I've played always had a decent ping and never had any crashes or issues come up.

The only issues I've had come up are related to targeting others in multiplayer (like using predator's shoulder cannon) as they tend not to hit their targets even when locked on (but I feel like that is programmed into the game, not an issue with ping).

All in all, I haven't had any real issues on my end. I do wish I could turn off the "always run" button as this game tends to be pretty fast moving but again, that's more of a game thing.

Thanks, guys :)
saderfer: Tomorrow I'll try it on linux, but as far as I remember, the 2000 version of the game had problems with Wine, only retail worked without problems.
It works quite well, for hints see this thread. Only the start is somewhat hairy, sometimes the launcher starts, sometimes not. Sometimes you can launch the game, sometimes not ... When it finally runs anything is good.

Dadzilla-5: How do you enter dialouge? I see others typing but can't see where to enter text?
The default key for chat is 't' (team chat is 'y'). You can see and change the key mappings under Controls -> Key Configuration (separately for the different species).
The first time I tried to go multiplayer, it did nothing. The second try gave me a "failed to authorize(0)". the third time worked.
diesoft: I'm just posting this since GOG was kind enough to give me the game for free (yay!)

Honestly I haven't had too much issue with the multiplayer performance. The matches I've played always had a decent ping and never had any crashes or issues come up.

The only issues I've had come up are related to targeting others in multiplayer (like using predator's shoulder cannon) as they tend not to hit their targets even when locked on (but I feel like that is programmed into the game, not an issue with ping).

All in all, I haven't had any real issues on my end. I do wish I could turn off the "always run" button as this game tends to be pretty fast moving but again, that's more of a game thing.

Thanks, guys :)
You can have a game for your pace. Host and fix up other settings. Pred is fun to use but adjust the view for each different enemy. Disc is on point pretty much and Pred vs Pred is fun. If you played Halo there is a mode where it is like infection or juggernaut in this. Varied modes but not sure about team yet.
As usual with GOG games, it installed perfectly and updated automatically. The multiplayer option worked seamlessly. I have only started using it, but its a great game and it works fine. Cant wait for more games like this. Thanks GOG, you guys really make great gaming affordable......