It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The Aliens Versus Predator Classic 2000 uses the Galaxy multiplayer library. Please read the points below before posting any feedback regarding the multiplayer game experience. Thank you!

1. Always start (or restart) the Launcher before playing the game. Let the update process finish (wait until status text changes to UP TO DATE), before clicking the PLAY button.

2. If you encounter any problem that you consider connected with the multiplayer, please go to http://mantis.gog.com/set_project.php?project_id=14&ref=bug_report_page.php, log in with your GOG.com account as usual and create an issue for us there please. Add a detailed description, and if possible, a method of reproducing it.
Post edited October 20, 2014 by Venom
From the last update the game is worsened: now I am slow, but Predators and Aliens are fast as before.
This time it was a little frustrating......
RetroVGN: Whenever I go to Multiplayer it says: "Failed To Initialize". This may have been solved before, but I'd like a answer to this nonetheless if there is one. Thanks, guys. The game is entertaining in Single Player, but I keep dying. xD
Same here. I can't seem to start or join any multiplayer session because of that error. Can anyone explain what do we need to do?
Does it have something to do with this "Launcher" Raff talks about? I can't seem to find any Launcher. The game starts automatically when I press the shortcut on my desktop. Can anyone explain to me what is that "Launcher" so I'll know if I have an error for not actually having one? I really want to start the multiplayer already (though it's been so long and I'll probably suck :P).
Hey Guys cool multiplayer game, I´m new to this multiplayer thing and to the game itself and I laughed a lot.
I sometimes get disconnected or can't connect because the client says "Offline", must be because of my connection which is slow but i'ts okay :)
RetroVGN: Whenever I go to Multiplayer it says: "Failed To Initialize". This may have been solved before, but I'd like a answer to this nonetheless if there is one. Thanks, guys. The game is entertaining in Single Player, but I keep dying. xD
OldChild: Same here. I can't seem to start or join any multiplayer session because of that error. Can anyone explain what do we need to do?
Does it have something to do with this "Launcher" Raff talks about? I can't seem to find any Launcher. The game starts automatically when I press the shortcut on my desktop. Can anyone explain to me what is that "Launcher" so I'll know if I have an error for not actually having one? I really want to start the multiplayer already (though it's been so long and I'll probably suck :P).
Yeah, where is this Launcher you speak of. It definitely wasn't included in the GOG Download. Get on the ball, GOG. >:V
No major issues. The first time I tried to play it seemed to take an incredibly long time to find other games and join, but as of today there were no issues. Gameplay sometimes alternates between being almost too fast and brief spats of choppy frame rates but not so much that it detracts from the experience.
OldChild: Same here. I can't seem to start or join any multiplayer session because of that error. Can anyone explain what do we need to do?
RetroVGN: Yeah, where is this Launcher you speak of. It definitely wasn't included in the GOG Download. Get on the ball, GOG. >:V
You need to launch/run the game by using the shortcut named "Aliens vs Predator Classic 2000 - Galaxy Client"
the first screenshot I attached shows you what shortcuts the Gog Installer created in the start menu.

"Aliens vs Predator Classic 2000" -shortcut will only run the Single Player and Multiplayer feature does not work A bit confusing because they use the same icon image.

The second screenshot that I have included shows what the launcher should look like.

If you ran the shortcut and the game automatically started, then that is the wrong shortcut. Exit back to desktop and try the other one.
Attachments:
As someone that never played AvP before, I found the game to be unplayable, but I have a hard time to say why. Basically:
- No noticeable lag, but had a hard time figuring out if I was hitting my targets when shooting at them or not
- Once, I found myself alone in the middle of a game, even though it was still showing up with multiple players when I tried to join again
- Was fighting people with flamethrowers even though it was banned in one of the games I was playing
- Everything seems to be at super speed - even the marine could walk a kilometer in a second
- Some weapons, especially melee weapons, didn't seem to do much damage even though my attacks were connecting
- Sometimes, the radar shows a bunch like 10 targets in range even though it was clearly false

Whether those things are bugs in the multiplayer libraries, bugs in the actual game or not bugs at all, I can't tell.
SmashManiac: Whether those things are bugs in the multiplayer libraries, bugs in the actual game or not bugs at all, I can't tell.
Some of these are just a reflection of its age. The speed, the floatiness, the hitscan precision - they all evoke Quake 2, in a certain way. It was on top of this paradigm that the game was built. Melee attacks weren't common or favoured in FPS at the time, so there was a lot of ground to be broken there. They feel quite non-responsive, but they do damage.

For the flamethrowers... maybe they were a pick-up on the map? I'm really not sure how exactly the restrictions work for the marine.

The radar - motion tracker - is just what it sounds like. Everything that moves gets detected. If you fire a flare, it registers. If you open a door, it registers. If you trigger a cluster bomb, it registers big time. The marine experience is meant to be twitchy and unnerving ;)

For the network issues, I can only assume some people might have been in the lobby. If they were in the game, they'd be listed in the scores (TAB). As to lag, there is some, though it's been mostly manageable. Check your pings in the score table, anything under 150 should be manageable. Beyond that, keep shooting. If you hit it, it bleeds. If it bleeds, we can kill it!
Spinorial: Everything that moves gets detected. If you fire a flare, it registers. If you open a door, it registers. If you trigger a cluster bomb, it registers big time.
If you gib an alien... every piece registers :P
After a half-hour playing:
- no problems on joining multiplayer and no lag
- game is a little bit faster, than I expected
- not enough ammo and healthpack on the level :D
I've already played several hours in multiplayer mode, much more than I would have expected. Here's my feedback (sorry, I have not read the whole thread, probably all of this has already been mentioned, just call it as my votes ;).

Problems so far:
- Joining a game often takes a long time and sometimes fails completely (I'm on a fast internet connection, that shouldn't be the problem). It's especially annoying as you have to join a game explicitly before you can see it's parameters and thus often have to join multiple games before you actually go to play.
- When I become the host of a game the game gets very jerky and unplayable on my somewhat older PC (3 GHz Core2, which otherwise runs the game without problems with the highest settings). Is there any way to avoid to automatically become the host of a game when the original host leaves?
- Some games are laggy, but that's probably because the host of the game sits on the other side of the globe or has a bad Internet connection (see wish list).

My wish list for the multiplayer mode:
- Please use the player name from the game profile for the multiplayer games or at least add an option to set the multiplayer nick name independently from the GOG login (already added in the other, wrong thread).
- Add the information which player is hosting the game, both in the game (mark the player in the score list?) and also in the game list so that you can see it before you join the game.
- Add the ping time of the game host to the game list (to avoid joining Australian games when you are in Europe ;).
- Add player management commands for the game host (kick, ban, ..).
- Allow to check the game list when you are in a game (e.g. while you are dead).
- Add a spectator mode (for the games which support it).
- Allow to run dedicated servers within the Galaxy environment (for the games which support it) to avoid the performance problems when you host and play with the same client.

Specifically for AvP:
- Please make the game description field ("Session Name") longer when possible. 10 characters are not much to give a hosted game a helpful description.

Edit: AvP special added.

Edit 2: The game gets very jerky and unplayable after running for a longer time (more than an hour or two) while it runs without any problems after the start (even with the highest settings). This happens also when you are not the game host.
Post edited October 31, 2014 by eiii
The server browser is useless. It should at least show ping times. Better it would support some filters and allow favorites. Connecting to servers where everybody has >200 ping is not really fun.
Fyi, had a quick multiplayer game. No problem connecting or lag. Only issue was my ineptitude at playing it - blimey it's fast - but I do like it :-)
SinglePlayer mode works fine, game loads quickly, no framerate lag whatsoever.

MultiPlayer mode fails to connect the majority of times. Game connection error message is displayed. Hosting/Connecting when possible creates heavy framerate and audio lag. Game becomes unresponsive and I must force exit majority of time. When possible, returning to main menu and loading SP mode the game suffers from the same MP framerate and audio lag. Exiting game completely and restarting solves the issue.

Disabling pc software firewall and lowering router firewall to its lowest setting, MP result is same connection errors and framerate/audio lag.

I have no idea how to solve this so I'll just enjoy the SP mode to its fullest. =)
RetroVGN: Yeah, where is this Launcher you speak of. It definitely wasn't included in the GOG Download. Get on the ball, GOG. >:V
Tonyx35: You need to launch/run the game by using the shortcut named "Aliens vs Predator Classic 2000 - Galaxy Client"
the first screenshot I attached shows you what shortcuts the Gog Installer created in the start menu.

"Aliens vs Predator Classic 2000" -shortcut will only run the Single Player and Multiplayer feature does not work A bit confusing because they use the same icon image.

The second screenshot that I have included shows what the launcher should look like.

If you ran the shortcut and the game automatically started, then that is the wrong shortcut. Exit back to desktop and try the other one.
I launched both the AvP_Classic EXE, and the Shortcut in here, still no Multiplayer. I see an icon for the Launcher, but no Launcher. This is EXACTLY what I got in the GOG download after redeeming my code in the Screenshot below. I am getting super-livid here, as this game is REAAAALLLY old and should work by now, it's only 14 years later. If this is how GOG does with a BETA program, I don't wanna do the next one. Cool game, but faulty managing and programming.
Attachments:
avp.png (175 Kb)