It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The Aliens Versus Predator Classic 2000 uses the Galaxy multiplayer library. Please read the points below before posting any feedback regarding the multiplayer game experience. Thank you!

1. Always start (or restart) the Launcher before playing the game. Let the update process finish (wait until status text changes to UP TO DATE), before clicking the PLAY button.

2. If you encounter any problem that you consider connected with the multiplayer, please go to http://mantis.gog.com/set_project.php?project_id=14&ref=bug_report_page.php, log in with your GOG.com account as usual and create an issue for us there please. Add a detailed description, and if possible, a method of reproducing it.
Post edited October 20, 2014 by Venom
RetroCodger426: Two things that are bothering me a little:
1. Even when people have good ping, is there any particular reason why the Alien species is so hard to kill? Could it be lag? Or, maybe it's just some trick to the game that I don't know about because I'm new?
2. Is the chat working, or are people just really shy? ;) Every time I spoke, said "Hi"
or "GG" there was no response. In fact, no one appeared to utter one word the for the entirety of my playtime thus far. A bug?

Anyway, This game is fantastic, both on and off-line. Best freebie ever :)
it works, just depends on the other players if they want to take the time to say something. Doesn't help that you have to be spawned and a sitting duck to use the chat window though.
Just wanted to say thanks very much for doing this!

I have fond memories of having a LAN party with a couple of mates years-and-years ago playing Stranded on AvP (Classic) and this brings it all flooding back! :)

*stares into the middle-distance all glassy-eyed*
Tonyx35: it works, just depends on the other players if they want to take the time to say something. Doesn't help that you have to be spawned and a sitting duck to use the chat window though.
This, very much so. I tried talking about the game while playing and got killed several times for my troubles, which disables the chat window until you respawn???!!! I'm not sure if this is fixable by GOG or integrated too much into the game itself, maybe we'll get a reply about it.
RetroCodger426: Is the chat working, or are people just really shy? ;) Every time I spoke, said "Hi"
or "GG" there was no response. In fact, no one appeared to utter one word the for the entirety of my playtime thus far. A bug?
Tonyx35: it works, just depends on the other players if they want to take the time to say something. Doesn't help that you have to be spawned and a sitting duck to use the chat window though.
Thanks for the reply :). Yes, just after I posted this, I played another round and someone did indeed speak. Agree with you about how it's a shame you have to respawn in order to speak. That seems a bit of a design oversight.
Bizarre occurrence today. I was in an SDM with some people and after about half an hour, I got disconnected. Okay, that happens. I tried reconnecting to the server and it said Server Error or something to that effect. After a couple tries I was eventually able to rejoin, but this time it kept saying " connected to the server" over and over again in the message chat and I had no name in the scoreboard. Oh well, I've seen that happen before too. After about a minute, I got disconnected from the server again. The next time I connect to the server, I not only get disconnected, but the entire program shuts down.

After that, I restart the game and join the game one last time. Now, I don't see anybody in the scoreboard and whenever I typed something into the chat, my name showed up as _Chunk@@ . I got no response from other players (server list said there were 5) so I just left.
Attachments:
I'm getting disconnected rather regularly tonight, both in sessions I join and I host. I know it's not my internet, it's pretty stable and is as quick as ever.
I got disconnected twice within a short time, but my internet was still up. The first time my name didn't show up and my stats weren't recorded, the game kept saying: " has connected". Eventually I guess a timeout disconnected me. The second time I tried my name showed up and everything seemed to be working properly, but I was disconnected 20 minutes or so later. It was very annoying, I had a rocket launcher in hand and a marine right in my sights, he starts to turn toward me, my finger squeezes on the trigger and BOOM- disconnected! :(
Post edited October 23, 2014 by ecamber
Disconnects frequently.
High ping (I assume - the game seems to show the ping of other players but not your own).

Those issues are probably just caused by my location (assuming the game is still peer to peer and most players/hosts are in US and Europe). Otherwise seems to be working well.

Hosts: maybe label your servers with your location? Just add US, EU, RU, AU, etc. to the name
Whenever I go to Multiplayer it says: "Failed To Initialize". This may have been solved before, but I'd like a answer to this nonetheless if there is one. Thanks, guys. The game is entertaining in Single Player, but I keep dying. xD
I can't see my ping, see the others but not mine
grabbed some custom maps and started a server; was educated to the fact that AvP does not allow clients to download map data (unlike what Quake 2 did IIRC). Still was found by a couple of members, and we had 3-man co-op.
Then installed the Redux mod, have been sitting idle on a MASSACRE co-op server since.
I suspect that particular map can only be accessed by users of the Redux mod, but I'll leave it sitting there for a while longer.
Custom mod and custom map support will be a bit of a pain, I expect; it should go without saying, but some kind of "you are on your own when you try this"-worded warning sign would probably be in order.
That said, I was surprised how well this first co-op ran; one player from the US I believe had vanilla AvP, while another was using Redux (as a client, joining), though I have no idea from where. I'm hosting from Malaysia. Pretty impressive for all that, and thanks again for building this, and making it awesome!
The game seems to work generally fine. Here is some feedback:

1. It happens too often that I kill someone and he kills me too at the same time, especially when playing as the alien.
2. I don't see my own ping. I can see everyone else's and it is mostly between 100-200 with some exceptions, but for me the ping column is empty for some reason. There is little to none lag as far as i can tell.
3. I had a disconnect only once and after it I couldn't find any game for a couple of minutes, though that could be because of a problem with my internet.
4. A better server list and a friend system are going to help a lot, but that's probobly for a later beta phase.

Thats all I have for now. I will try to think of more stuff and add them.

Thank you GOG
RetroCodger426: 1. Even when people have good ping, is there any particular reason why the Alien species is so hard to kill? Could it be lag? Or, maybe it's just some trick to the game that I don't know about because I'm new?
Aliens are easy to kill (fewest HP of all species) but hard to hit (fastest species). Maybe you've met some good Alien players and they were just dodging/evading your bullets?

RetroCodger426: 2. Is the chat working, or are people just really shy? ;) Every time I spoke, said "Hi"
I've rarely seen someone chat and never had someone answering me. But this could have to do with the stuff I was saying, like: "When you see a burning Alien running around, flailing with arms and tail: It's me!" xP
ramhr: 1. It happens too often that I kill someone and he kills me too at the same time, especially when playing as the alien.
I'm not sure if multiplayer works the same way as singleplayer, but in singleplayer mode you can get damaged by Alien blood (it's acid) or the twitching tail of a dying Alien. If multiplayer follows those rules too, I can see where the "double kills" could be coming from (playing Alien mostly and I've seen those double kills very often).
Post edited October 23, 2014 by real.geizterfahr
RetroCodger426: Two things that are bothering me a little:
1. [...]
2. Is the chat working, or are people just really shy? ;) Every time I spoke, said "Hi"

Anyway, This game is fantastic, both on and off-line. Best freebie ever :)
I was wondering if the chat-thingy is part of GOG's multiplayer system (=changeable) or if it's the way it used to be. chat and console as one single tool is odd. The first time i accidentally activated the console and somehow deleted the "SAY" command. As a result i was unable to return to the game for five minutes until i figured it out. Pressing enter without a proper command does NOTHING, and i couldn't figure out a way to close the console without entering a valid command like SAY (some commands don't seem to close the console).

Also, as you said, being able to chat while alive ONLY is bullshit. There is no better time to chat than while being dead, especially for a very fast game like AvP
HerrLangsam: and i couldn't figure out a way to close the console without entering a valid command like SAY (some commands don't seem to close the console).
You can press the 'tilde' key: `
That opens and closes the console :)