It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Well I know I can't save while using debug mode, which is why I'm wondering if there's a way to disabling the debug mode while playing so that I can save. You didn't address that specific issue, but I think you might be implying that I can't do it, which seems like a really stupid way for it to be implemented.

However, I hadn't thought of just using a profile which is preset to have all missions available. I suppose if I can't do it the other way then that should work fairly well, except that I still might not be able to accomplish some of the specific missions and would instead have to just skip them.

EDIT: Thanks though, because that's a whole lot easier than trying to kill the seemingly infinite aliens in predator mission 3! But the directory that you specify doesn't exist. I can't seem to find where the profile is stored!
Post edited October 09, 2018 by HeresMyAccount
HeresMyAccount: Well I know I can't save while using debug mode, which is why I'm wondering if there's a way to disabling the debug mode while playing so that I can save. You didn't address that specific issue, but I think you might be implying that I can't do it, which seems like a really stupid way for it to be implemented.

However, I hadn't thought of just using a profile which is preset to have all missions available. I suppose if I can't do it the other way then that should work fairly well, except that I still might not be able to accomplish some of the specific missions and would instead have to just skip them.

EDIT: Thanks though, because that's a whole lot easier than trying to kill the seemingly infinite aliens in predator mission 3! But the directory that you specify doesn't exist. I can't seem to find where the profile is stored!
Unfortunately, no. Because the way the developers had made it at the time. The "cheat' commands are only available and accessible when "debug mode" is toggled and enabled first.

Otherwise, if you try and enter any of the cheat commands such as for "God mode" when you don't have "debug mode" enabled/toggled, then it simply won't work or take effect. You can test this and you'll see what I mean.

And once "debug mode" is enabled you can't save no matter what you do, the game simply won't allow it.

But that's also why they adjusted and change the savegames function to be unlimited rather than limited.

Realize that the developers weren't so forgiving at the time when they first released the game. Rather they wanted the game to be as hard and difficult as possible at the time, and those that aren't able to keep up with it's learning curve either gave up, or used hacks like trainer programs to "cheat" their way through the game.

It's also because the very first version of the game did not even provide an in-game save function. Rather instead, the game only credits and "saves" the game after the player had completed a mission and if they can't do that even on the easiest difficulty, then they'll have to keep playing and learn the level over and over from the beginning. In fact, the first version of the game didn't even support cheat commands, because "debug mode" wasn't available, it was subsequently added in a patch (Build 0.98), then later they released AvP Gold Edition which has all that available by default.

So here's my advice, always start the game by playing on the easiest difficulty first to see if you can get the hang of it, then if you start to get better, play on the default or normal difficulty. Because that's how I always do it when things get too hard.

Easy difficulty is "Training". Normal/Default difficulty is "Realistic". Hard difficulty is "Director's Cut".

Are you sure you don't see a My Games folder anywhere if you go to Documents? If you have a My Games folder there should be an Aliens versus Predator folder, and in the AvP folder there should be an User_Profiles folder. You put the .prf file into there and then you can select it when you restart the game.

As for the unlimited Aliens for Predator mission 3, you may want to watch this video on youtube, because somebody managed to demonstrate how to beat this mission without ever using the Medicomp to restore health and it's done on the Hard difficulty:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI84ioYlGtc

Obviously, the only way this can be done is someone would have to run and play through the game and level tons of time to know by heart what to do and what not to do. Maybe it can help you know which direction is the most straightforward and what to do when dealing with an endless wave of Aliens. That seems like the most important thing demonstrated, just focus and know what you need to do and where to go on the level and get right down to the point and keep moving, dodge incoming attacks while counter-attacking.
Post edited October 11, 2018 by OverHereOverHere
No I don't have that exact folder. I get get tot he My Games folder, but then the only thing inside of that is Perry Rhodan. And I have several other games installed on this computer, so I don't know what's wrong.

I actually was able to complete the third mission, but it was HARD, and I think the fourth one might be similar.
HeresMyAccount: No I don't have that exact folder. I get get tot he My Games folder, but then the only thing inside of that is Perry Rhodan. And I have several other games installed on this computer, so I don't know what's wrong.

I actually was able to complete the third mission, but it was HARD, and I think the fourth one might be similar.
Actually try and see if you have this directory path:

C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Rebellion\AvP Classic\User_Profiles

The User may be different because the username you have on your computer might be different, so for example if your username on your computer was "HeresMyAccount" then the appropriate directory to extract the prf file would be C:\Users\HeresMyAccount\AppData\Local\Rebellion\AvP Classic\User_Profiles

It would be a .prf file, the other way is to use the search function of the computer and have it perform a search and locate all available prf files by typing in *.prf and see what it finds and if any .prf files are found select the file, right-click on it and select "Open file location" to see which directory the file is currently located.

Are you having any other problems in any other part of the game or are you only focusing on Predator missions at the moment?

I hope all works out either way.
Post edited October 12, 2018 by OverHereOverHere
I'm just playing as the predator for right now but I was thinking of being an alien next. The directory is there, thank you! But why are there two different directories where it could be?
HeresMyAccount: I'm just playing as the predator for right now but I was thinking of being an alien next. The directory is there, thank you! But why are there two different directories where it could be?
Perhaps it was from an older version of the installer from GOG, or maybe I had applied this patch when I was running and testing the Gold Edition of the game again:

[url=http://homepage.eircom.net/~duncandsl/avp]http://homepage.eircom.net/~duncandsl/avp[/url]

You won't need that patch if you are on Classic 2000 though. It was just a custom made patch someone had released because the original versions of the game had compatibility problems on modern Windows computers and modern hardware.

How's the progress coming with Predator missions?

Last you said you made it past mission 3, so that's good.

Which difficulty are you playing on currently? Training, Realistic or Director's Cut?

I forgot to mention that if you finish the first 6 missions on Training difficulty then only 2 bonus missions are unlocked. 4 bonus missions are unlocked if you complete them on Realistic and the rest only if you manage to complete it on Director's Cut, that's how it is with all 3 species in the game, regardless if you play Alien or Marine.

After you finish all the bonus missions the only other thing to do is just single player challenges that unlock "cheat options" which are bonus modes that can only be played in single player and change the experience of how the single player missions themselves would feel and play.

Other than that maybe play Skirmish mode, or look for other players still interested in multiplayer matches. There aren't too many here at GOG the last I've checked, most are on the Steam version that wanted to re-play or play the multiplayer of the game, although supposedly GOG and Steam versions multiplayer modes are supposed to be compatible with each other the last I've heard.
Post edited October 19, 2018 by OverHereOverHere
Well I would think that online mode would be compatible with all versions because all it needs to do is send data in the same format, and why would it deliberately not do that?

I actually haven't played it since I finished the third mission, just because I've been busy, but I'll get back to it when I can.

I've been playing it on training mode, simply because this particular game is WAY tougher than most games anyway. I don't like that fact that it won't unlock all the extra missions but now that I have the preference file that does, I guess it doesn't matter. However, I can still play the new missions on training mode, can't I?
HeresMyAccount: Well I would think that online mode would be compatible with all versions because all it needs to do is send data in the same format, and why would it deliberately not do that?

I actually haven't played it since I finished the third mission, just because I've been busy, but I'll get back to it when I can.

I've been playing it on training mode, simply because this particular game is WAY tougher than most games anyway. I don't like that fact that it won't unlock all the extra missions but now that I have the preference file that does, I guess it doesn't matter. However, I can still play the new missions on training mode, can't I?
Actually the bonus missions only come in the default difficult of "Realistic", but you can't pick and choose their difficulty before starting the mission as there are no difficulty select, it just says "Start" instead of the normal three available difficulty settings.

Basically once you beat it on training and get the hang of it, then play on Realistic and see how it goes. Just remember back in the day when the game was first out it was even harder, no cheats were even possible, no in-game savegames or quicksaves, and each level had to be completed all-in-one sitting.

But it is doable with enough practice and memorization of the level's layout and learning the enemies weakness from their behavioral patterns.

The real reason why it's hard is because they set the Aliens to respawn every so now and then, so no matter what you'll end up facing at least 2 or 3 of them every so now and then. The game wants you to keep moving and focus on your objectives rather than kill every single enemy on the level as they made it so that almost always that's impossible due to it's design of endless respawning of Aliens. But the fact that it's possible to save games now without limits help significantly for the higher difficulties.

Of all three species I have to say Alien was overall the easiest, because you just have to keep moving constantly and focusing on your objectives to reach the end of the level. There's nothing to pick up and in order to heal you have to munch on their heads. Focus on a very aggressive kind of play style. The healing bite is always instant kill but you have to position their head in the center as much as possible first.

A fully charged tail attack is also an instant kill majority of the time. Stay on the move because that blazing speed is what gives the Alien the edge. If you need to run away, you can always run towards ceilings, into airducts, vents, etc.

Predator is middle ground, can be aggressive or defensive. Against marines, aggression tends to work best with invisibility and the blades and plasma caster and since it's almost always instant kill. Disc is also perfect and uber broken and overpowered. Be on the right vision mode to lock on with it, the Disc is always an instant kill weapon, but with the lock-on effect, it also becomes homing. So homing and instant kill is just super cheap and broken, great when dealing with any big and tough enemies, marines would be slaughtered quickly by the power of the Disc. Also if necessary, you'll have to recall the Disc if it did not return to you automatically as more often than not it tends to get stuck in a wall somewhere. Otherwise, switch to the green (Predator) vision mode and look for a white object stuck in a wall somewhere to retrieve it manually. Recalling it automatically penalizes your energy resource though.

Against large groups of aliens, I see that being defensive with pistol spamming and speargun headshots and torso shots work great. Watch out for facehuggers, but pistol and plasma caster can take care of them easily due to their splash damage effects.

One-on-one way face-to-face fights, predator almost always beats Alien with the secondary fire used to charge the Wristblades for a heavy blow. Just move immediately after hitting them to minimize acid damage, never use them blades against groups of 3 or more in cramped and tiny spaces.

Be conservative with the energy supply for your equipment and weapons on the more longer and larger levels. Never forget that you don't need to look for armor items. Every blow you take automatically has been reduced by armor, which is why the Predator can sustain more hits than the other two. And don't forget that you have access to portable healing which helps, unlike the Marine whom has to go search and look for armor and healing items, Predator doesn't. Never be afraid to run away to a secure spot and heal first if necessary before getting back in there to continue your hunt.

Marine is definitely more defensive playstyle, you have to explore and look for armor and healing items and the much more better and much needed firepower to get out of every level alive. Pulse grenades can be spammed to pop those bugs quickly, best done when they are in groups of 3 or more. And it also works somewhat against them nasty facehuggeers Otherwise, always try to go for headshots or leg shots. Smartgun is excellent when facing large groups of aliens.

Against predators, you just need the best firepower, like the heavy artillery of the SADAR missile launcher, or the Minigun. They work great against any non-typical enemies you normally face on a regular basis throughout the game. The grenade launcher isn't all that great and risky to use in single player as it can backfire easily. The prox mines are the best option, frags are alright, the standard grenade is the riskiest, and it's best to stick with the pulse rifle's grenades instead.

Let me know how it goes.
Post edited November 02, 2018 by OverHereOverHere
OverHereOverHere: Basically once you beat it on training and get the hang of it, then play on Realistic and see how it goes. Just remember back in the day when the game was first out it was even harder, no cheats were even possible, no in-game savegames or quicksaves, and each level had to be completed all-in-one sitting.
I was under the impression that in the first version of the game, it didn't even save between missions, so that you had to play the whole game in one sitting without dying once! That would REALLY be tough, huh?

As for everything else you said, thanks a lot, because it seems like it will be very helpful. I'm bummed that I can't set the difficulty mode in the bonus missions though. I think I might end up liking the sequel better in the long run.
HeresMyAccount: I was under the impression that in the first version of the game, it didn't even save between missions, so that you had to play the whole game in one sitting without dying once! That would REALLY be tough, huh?
I forget if it was the origional or gold (I owned both, think I even owned the expansion for the origional before gold), but the hardest difficulity had no saving at all. Dead was starting from the start of the game. I want to say this game was even more brutal then the average game at the time: normally you could save or quicksave (in shooters), this limited the # of saves per gameplay. Really made you think twice about how you're going to procede through the maps, that's for sure.

The only reason I stopped playing my old copies was because they needed DX 7 support and Nvidia dropped that in ~05/06 & ATI a year or so later, so no "new" cards could play the game (was the same for any game that required DX 6/7 hardware/driver supprt). My (now) wife got me this & Q3A tin box while we were in college. Had them both until the discs were physically destroyed in '08.
Post edited November 27, 2018 by TheHappyFriar
TheHappyFriar: Dead was start from the start of the game.
Uh... what? And what's a @ Q3A tin box? Anyway, I'm not sure why you bought two different copies but it sounds like you liked the game very much. You can get it here now if you want, and it should work on newer versions of DirectX.
TheHappyFriar: Dead was start from the start of the game.
HeresMyAccount: Uh... what? And what's a @ Q3A tin box? Anyway, I'm not sure why you bought two different copies but it sounds like you liked the game very much. You can get it here now if you want, and it should work on newer versions of DirectX.
q3a tin box: http://playwares.com/files/attach/images/763176/774/066/024/77d5d33b102a03ba73bb32d75fa2fe7f.jpg

I had different editions because, at the time, they wearn't compatible with eachother. Plus you could buy older games @ walmart for $5. That's how I got NOLF 1 & 2. :)

Fixed my two confusing typos on the previous post.
Post edited November 27, 2018 by TheHappyFriar
Oh, Quake 3 Arena. Yeah, I have that.