It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Aliens Versus Predator Classic 2000 uses a launcher for the purposes of auto-updating the game and testing some of the features that will be available in the Galaxy Client. Please read the points below before posting any feedback regarding the launcher. Thank you!

1. Always start (or restart) the Launcher before playing the game. Let the update process finish (wait until status text changes to UP TO DATE), before clicking PLAY button.

2. If the application crashes or you encounter any problem or error, please go to http://mantis.gog.com/set_project.php?project_id=14&ref=bug_report_page.php, log in with your GOG.com account as usual and create an issue for us there. Please attach any information that will help us resolve the issue faster, such as logs (location where to find them is below), detailed reproduction steps, screenshots, etc.

Logs location:
On Windows Vista or later: C:\ProgramData\GalaxyClient\Logs
On Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\GalaxyClient\Logs
On MacOSX: /Users/Shared/Galaxy/Logs

3. If you encounter any other problem with the application, please post a detailed description, and if possible - method of reproducing it.
Why did the launcher download about 470 MB of data (pretty much the full game) right after I have installed the game?
I just get a timeout on trying to connect to get the galaxy-client-config.json

Trying to clear the services and trying again results in the program just quitting every time i try to run it.

2014-10-16 16:41:16 [galaxy_service][Information]: Log started. Application version: 0.1.0.456 (2014-09-18 11:34).
2014-10-16 16:41:16 [galaxy_service][Information]: Operating system: Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 6.1 (Build 7601: Service Pack 1) (IA32)
2014-10-16 16:41:16 [galaxy_service][Information]: GalaxyService starting
2014-10-16 16:41:16 [galaxy_service][Information]: Started to listen on port 9977
2014-10-16 16:41:16 [galaxy_service][Information]: ServiceServer connected
2014-10-16 16:41:16 [galaxy_service][Information]: Received LaunchElevatedRequest 667692158
2014-10-16 16:41:16 [galaxy_service][Information]: Default working dir: C:\Program Files (x86)\GalaxyClient\
2014-10-16 16:41:16 [galaxy_service][Information]: Created process as user. Process path: C:\Program Files (x86)\GalaxyClient\GalaxyClient.exe, command line /waitForPreviousInstance /deelevated, working directory: C:\Program Files (x86)\GalaxyClient\
2014-10-16 16:41:16 [galaxy_service][Information]: LaunchElevatedRequest complete: 1
2014-10-16 16:41:16 [galaxy_service][Information]: Sending message of type 6 [Sequence Number: -1], rseq 667692158 completed OK
2014-10-16 16:41:16 [galaxy_service][Information]: LaunchElevatedRequest response sent
2014-10-16 16:41:16 [galaxy_service][Information]: Connection closed by remote host
2014-10-16 16:41:16 [galaxy_service][Information]: ServiceConnectionHandler disconnecting
high rated
Not being asked when or where to install the GalaxyClient is a no no.

Launcher creates Short Cut (after dl'ing updates) without being asked is a no no.
Post edited October 16, 2014 by ooonY
Yep, unchangeable install dir means I'll just sit this one out.

So is the galaxy service running as a "Windows service" or just a regular process on Windows? I might not feel very comfortable if it's the former.
Launcher does not start anything would have clicked

PS: It's nice that you are using Mantis to report :)
The whole auto-updating thing isn’t exactly the best idea to be completely honest. Of course the launcher itself should be able to update the game as it is one of its core features, however you should introduce a system that would inform players about their game being outdated and then ask them if they want to proceed with the update instead of forcing it on them. Forced updates are never good. Players should also be able to specify the installation directory of the client and even choose not to install the program at all (I’m referring to the future releases of course. Right now because of the beta testing it’s not a problem, however I know that some people would prefer not to use Galaxy after it’s officially out.)
Not any problem for playing online, everything seemed fine.

Only one very small issue : when the launcher updated the game, it created a second shortcut. And no shortcut was created for playing the game without launching Galaxy.

But I have a small suggestion : why not give the possibility to install the GOG Galaxy separately, when you install the game (for example two buttons "install the game alone" & "install the game with the Galaxy Launcher") ? Or to download it yourself on gog ? (like the GOG downloader tool)
And in this case, when we want to use it,we would only have to launch the "GOG Galaxy Software", and with it choose the game we want to play online (and eventually update).

I have two important questions (at least for me) :
- is the launcher (or Galaxy) storing my username and password somewhere ? Is there an option to turn it on or off ?
- Is Galaxy always running when you launched it one time and closed the game ?
Updating seems veeeeery slow. Took a minute or two for the launcher to start the download. Then, after downloading, it took quite a while to do whatever it was doing (no progress bar or other indicator for activity, except a faded "Play" button).

Updating's finished now. Let's try the game :D
Clicking on "More" > "Send multiplayer or launcher feedback" links to some images.

And also some things that were mentioned here:

1. Client should ask were to be installed.
2. I don't like the idea of an extra permanent service in my PC. I'd rather have a process that's executed when I want to play the games.
3. Updates should be optional (as in, give us the option to update, forced updates are bad)
Post edited October 17, 2014 by notnsane
Launcher is disabling the texture mods that are compatible with players that don't have them installed :

http://www.gog.com/forum/aliens_versus_predator_classic_2000/mods_being_disabled_by_launcher

http://www.gog.com/forum/aliens_versus_predator_classic_2000/avp_classic_redux_mod
notnsane: 1. Client should ask were to be installed.
Launcher included with the AvP beta is not the final client. With the client you will be able to choose the installation folder, but some parts always need to be added to program files.

notnsane: 2. I don't like the idea of an extra permanent service in my PC. I'd rather have a process that's executed when I want to play the games.
The service only runs when the launcher (and the Client in the future) is launched, it's an integral part of the application.

notnsane: 3. Updates should be optional (as in, give us the option to update, forced updates are bad)
In the Client you will have more options regarding updates. Newest version is always required to play the multiplayer, and for the single player you don't need the launcher/client at all, so event now you can control the updates.
Splatsch: - is the launcher (or Galaxy) storing my username and password somewhere ? Is there an option to turn it on or off ?
No, you login with your username/password, but those credentials are never stored.
Splatsch: - Is Galaxy always running when you launched it one time and closed the game ?
Both with the current launcher used in AvP Multiplayer Beta and the upcoming Galaxy Client, you will be able to launch and quit the app manually. Of course once you quit you loose auto updates, until you re-launch the app again. There will be an option to auto launch the Client upon OS startup, but you will be able to control the app manually.
ooonY: Not being asked when or where to install the GalaxyClient is a no no.

Launcher creates Short Cut (after dl'ing updates) without being asked is a no no.
This is a temporary behaviour of our Launcher app that comes bundled with the AvP Multiplayer Beta. Once the Galaxy Client is ready you will be able to control those things.
Post edited October 17, 2014 by Venom
ShadowOwl: Why did the launcher download about 470 MB of data (pretty much the full game) right after I have installed the game?
This is just an unfortunate situation, where the installer available on the website is older than the newest version of the game.

This effect will be eliminated with the full Galaxy Client, as it will not rely on the installers from the website (witch will of course remain available).
notnsane: Clicking on "More" > "Send multiplayer or launcher feedback" links to some images.
Yes, support.ico to be precise (located in the installation folder)
Splatsch: - is the launcher (or Galaxy) storing my username and password somewhere ? Is there an option to turn it on or off ?
Venom: No, you login with your username/password, but those credentials are never stored.
I, for one, would also argue that the option to store credentials permanently should be added. Even Blizzard caved in with their Battle.net launcher. It's just unpractical to fill in the autogenerated password every time I want to play the game.