It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

BKGaming: I'm not arguing with an idiot anymore... dude claims humble is DRM free then says you just need the internet for Steam. What an idiot.. .that is DRM. Steam is DRM.

Tells me to go read what DRM is... somebody be trollin hard.
EPurpl3: Am I trolling? :)) poor bugger, you're fucked up, don't you need internet to download games from GOG?!! if you need internet to download games from GOG does that mean that ALL GOG games have DRM?! damn, your stupid, thanks for confirm it over and over again. For Humble Bundle games you need internet to download them from Steam and than you can uninstall the Steam launcher and play the games without any DRM. LOL, I have just checked Humble Bundle, now you don't have to use Steam anymore, they have bought their own servers to host the games :)). Just check it out https://www.humblebundle.com/ .

So who is trolling, you poor bugger? ;)))
:')

I'm speechless.
EPurpl3: Am I trolling? :)) poor bugger, you're fucked up, don't you need internet to download games from GOG?!! if you need internet to download games from GOG does that mean that ALL GOG games have DRM?! damn, your stupid, thanks for confirm it over and over again. For Humble Bundle games you need internet to download them from Steam and than you can uninstall the Steam launcher and play the games without any DRM. LOL, I have just checked Humble Bundle, now you don't have to use Steam anymore, they have bought their own servers to host the games :)). Just check it out https://www.humblebundle.com/ .

So who is trolling, you poor bugger? ;)))
BKGaming: Okay then your just an idiot? Internet has nothing to do with it. The Steam client is DRM. The client controls everything you can do with your steam games, from playing online, to installing, to how many times you can install, it controls everything. Any game you buy that uses steam is essentially rented for as long as Steam is in business (outside of the few DRM free games one can find on steam which is rare).

Humble does usually provide a DRM free copy with a Steam copy when they can... however there are games they sell that only work with the steam client.

This is very different from GOG as is the reason us GOG users pick it over Steam.

Read this nice little article to get a better understanding:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/02/01/thought-do-we-own-our-steam-games/
I know that and that is why I support GOG and I hate Steam (and I will always hate them) and that is why I am wasting my time talking about DRM on GOG forum, because I care about GOG and I don't want it to go in the wrong direction. People will start to accept DRM as long as it will be less aggressive than the Steam DRM and that is wrong because little by little GOG will add full aggressive DRM. Humble Bundle can not replace GOG, because GOG sells some of the best games ever created (most of the best games :D, thought there are still some not available yet).

Anyway, GOG should realize once and for all that peoples want non-DRM games. PERIOD!
BKGaming: Okay then your just an idiot? Internet has nothing to do with it. The Steam client is DRM. The client controls everything you can do with your steam games, from playing online, to installing, to how many times you can install, it controls everything. Any game you buy that uses steam is essentially rented for as long as Steam is in business (outside of the few DRM free games one can find on steam which is rare).

Humble does usually provide a DRM free copy with a Steam copy when they can... however there are games they sell that only work with the steam client.

This is very different from GOG as is the reason us GOG users pick it over Steam.

Read this nice little article to get a better understanding:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/02/01/thought-do-we-own-our-steam-games/
EPurpl3: I know that and that is why I support GOG and I hate Steam (and I will always hate them) and that is why I am wasting my time talking about DRM on GOG forum, because I care about GOG and I don't want it to go in the wrong direction. People will start to accept DRM as long as it will be less aggressive than the Steam DRM and that is wrong because little by little GOG will add full aggressive DRM. Humble Bundle can not replace GOG, because GOG sells some of the best games ever created (most of the best games :D, thought there are still some not available yet).

Anyway, GOG should realize once and for all that peoples want non-DRM games. PERIOD!
But you still fail to realize the multiplayer is a service. I fully believe that every game that has multiplayer should offer a way to play it long after the game company is gone. But they do not have too. They do not have to offer you a way to play with LAN with a friend. Not doing that doesn't mean the game now has DRM. I don't know how I can make that any clearer. You can't claim a service that your not entitled to as DRM.

Take Rockstar's TOS:

DESCRIPTION OF ONLINE SERVICES

Subject to full compliance with this Agreement, the Company may offer to provide certain products, services, and websites accessed through internet-capable hardware platforms including gaming consoles, personal computers, mobile computers, or smart phones, or in-game applications or software platforms including third-party hosts (collectively the "Online Services"). Online Services shall include, but not be limited to, any service or content the Company provides to you, including any materials displayed or performed. The Company may change, suspend or discontinue the Online Services for any reason, at any time, including the availability of any feature or content. The Company may also impose limits on certain features and services or restrict your access to parts or all of the Online Services without notice or liability.
Steamworks, Tages, SecuROM, GFWL... these are DRM. These control what you can do with your game from installing to copying to playing which you are physically entitled too with an indefinite license.
Post edited April 06, 2014 by BKGaming
BKGaming: I love how this has boiled down to they included DRM because they left out a feature or did it in a way that you can't play online with one copy between multiple people... something nobody is legally allowed to do anyway because they agree to the TOS.

People always find something to complain about...
I don't want to play online at all but I can't. Playing this game in multiplayer is impossible for me.

I don't mind that I can't use one copy for my whole LAN. I mind that GOG won't let me easily buy several copies of the game. Buying multiple copies/keys on GOG is a total PITA.

No LAN multiplayer is a design failure that belongs on the consoles, where it has thrived, not the PC :(
BKGaming: I love how this has boiled down to they included DRM because they left out a feature or did it in a way that you can't play online with one copy between multiple people... something nobody is legally allowed to do anyway because they agree to the TOS.

vrmlbasic: I don't want to play online at all but I can't. Playing this game in multiplayer is impossible for me.

I don't mind that I can't use one copy for my whole LAN. I mind that GOG won't let me easily buy several copies of the game. Buying multiple copies/keys on GOG is a total PITA.

No LAN multiplayer is a design failure that belongs on the consoles, where it has thrived, not the PC :(
That is something I would take up with GOG or make another free account or something to buy another copy. That is a legit complaint. Doesn't really fall under the DRM issue though.
EPurpl3: Dude, this crap game saves even the settings on Triumph server, if the servers will shut down YOU WONT BE ABLE TO PLAY THE GAME AT ALL.
Screaming and shunting didn't change the fact that this is completely wrong. You can play the complete game in single player modus without any connection to the server at all.
EPurpl3: Dude, this crap game saves even the settings on Triumph server, if the servers will shut down YOU WONT BE ABLE TO PLAY THE GAME AT ALL.
Arghmage: Screaming and shunting didn't change the fact that this is completely wrong. You can play the complete game in single player modus without any connection to the server at all.
to be fair purple even stated he doesn't own the game at all nor does he care for the game.

so he doesn't know shit about what he's talking about he's screaming DRM when the game has no DRM simply because he really doesn't know what DRM is

i mean he keeps insulting anyone who logically and correctly proves him wrong then states that he's 'winning' every argument.

1 this game doesn't use triumph servers at all to save anything from your game
2 the account creation and login is entirely OPTIONAL, i know this because i didn't need to create an account when i first played the game i just clicked guest and off i went.

so in what way is this game ladened with DRM, Hmmm? can you care to explain without yelling insults because someone disagrees with you.
slamelov: I have bought AoW 3 in GOG because I like GoG and I want games without DRM. I buy , download and I install it in all my computers to play in LAN/MP with my sons. But, after installing it, I have discovered that is not DRM free, I can't play in LAN. Like Steam. I would have to buy three games for playing with my 2 sons.
If you're in the same house, you could try Hotseat mode. I tend to prefer it for MP play, since I don't like it when people are in the same room, but on different computers.
I understand it's not everyone's cup of tea, though (it's longer since you can't use simultaneous turns, and the other players can see what you're doing, which may not be ideal for your playstyle), but you could try to play this way with your sons. Maybe you'll like it :)
Kardwill: Yes, but I need to connect the computer that will run the game to battle.net, at least the first time, right?
Correct. Until you did that, you can't play SC 2 at all.
high rated
So, my computer has this little thing in it called a CPU. It can add two numbers. (OK, it can do a lot of other stuff too, but it can add two numbers, at least if they're not too big, or too small, or too precise, or whatever.)

And there's this game series I've played. Let's call it Game X. In the first 2 versions of this game, everytime the game wanted to add two numbers it used my CPU. (In fact, it used it for all its math needs.)

Now they've come out with Game X 3, and it does things a little different. Sometimes when it wants to add two numbers (seems to happen when I play with friends), it contacts the servers of the Game X publisher and sends the two numbers (and my registration key, and maybe some information about my computer -- who knows), and their server sends back the sum. The game then uses that sum and continues.

Some people say this is DRM. They point out that out that when the publisher decides to shut down their servers, this scheme won't work anymore -- my game will be crippled. Some of them even point out the possibility of adding the numbers on the local CPU and suggest the game developer's should have allowed for that. Some go so far as to suggest that the real reason the game wasn't made to support using the local CPU in this case and instead was made to use the publisher's servers was so the game publisher could have the ability to manage their digital "rights". (Conspiracy nutters for sure -- they think they have rights! And this publisher is an angel, pure as driven snow - they would never do such a thing!)

Other people say this isn't DRM. They say this remote addition of numbers is a "service", and a service isn't DRM. They say you can't call it DRM just because the game devs didn't implement the "feature" of adding numbers on the local CPU. (And that's not being gullible or disingenuous at all! No sir-eee! On a completely unrelated note, my neighbor's dog just took a piss on my shoes -- wait, no, I'm being told that's the wrong way to describe it -- the dog just "serviced" my shoes. Either way, my socks are soaked.)

Now, is it or is it not DRM? I think I'll just ignore that question, because debating definitions isn't really interesting. (After all, words apparently just mean whatever the {depressingly low-intelligence} unwashed masses say they mean, and that changes over time and is only tenuously related to reality.)

Anyways, I can't wait for Game X 4. I hear that they'll use the publisher's servers not only for even more additions, but a few multiplications as well! I have to admit that I don't really know how that improves the game experience, but I'm sure they wouldn't go through all that trouble if it didn't. Of course, this means a lot more features of the game will depend on this "service" and will be unavailable when they decide to turn off their servers, but I'm guessing the sums and products their servers generate are so much better that no one would really want to play the game without their servers anyways.

I suppose that DRM definition thing might impact me at some point. I mean, if it's got DRM then GOG won't sell it, right? Luckily, no matter how many features of the game depend on the publisher's servers, there seem to be plenty of people here ready and willing to argue that it's just a "service" and not DRM. (Though I can't believe they haven't yet mentioned the "ultimate proof" argument: What do "servers" do? They provide "services". That's why they're called "servers"!)
Post edited April 07, 2014 by TheJadedOne
@Deadpool
You can't play MP without a account and some features doesn't work at Guestmode but it was announced that the problem with the guestmode is a bug that will be fixed...we will see.

@BK-Gaming
You say...the mulitplayer is only a service and not a part of the game we bought...
->Well...nowadays we don't buy games at all, by definition we only buy/rent the right to use the content of the game
->For AoW3 a MP-mode if officially part of the content we bought/rented, albeit only online+Hotseat
->to exercise all your owned rights it's not enought to buy/rent->download->install the content but in addition you need to create a Thriumphaccount, register the content and be logged in->that kind of limitation is DRM per definition, a mild one compared to others but still DRM

PS:
You sayed that it's illegal to play a MP-Game if you only own one copy of the game.
Althought true for new games..there where several older game where you still bought the game instead of the right to use the content and that games included the right for private MP-session, the old parts of the Warlords/Warlords Battlecry-series is one example and they even had a "special" installoption where you could install a version of the gamer that could only be used to play MP.
Sadly these days are long gone...but the dream is still alive ;)
Post edited April 07, 2014 by DF1871
low rated
EPurpl3: I know that and that is why I support GOG and I hate Steam (and I will always hate them) and that is why I am wasting my time talking about DRM on GOG forum, because I care about GOG and I don't want it to go in the wrong direction. People will start to accept DRM as long as it will be less aggressive than the Steam DRM and that is wrong because little by little GOG will add full aggressive DRM. Humble Bundle can not replace GOG, because GOG sells some of the best games ever created (most of the best games :D, thought there are still some not available yet).

BKGaming: But you still fail to realize the multiplayer is a service. I fully believe that every game that has multiplayer should offer a way to play it long after the game company is gone. But they do not have too. They do not have to offer you a way to play with LAN with a friend. Not doing that doesn't mean the game now has DRM. I don't know how I can make that any clearer. You can't claim a service that your not entitled to as DRM.

Take Rockstar's TOS:

DESCRIPTION OF ONLINE SERVICES

Subject to full compliance with this Agreement, the Company may offer to provide certain products, services, and websites accessed through internet-capable hardware platforms including gaming consoles, personal computers, mobile computers, or smart phones, or in-game applications or software platforms including third-party hosts (collectively the "Online Services"). Online Services shall include, but not be limited to, any service or content the Company provides to you, including any materials displayed or performed. The Company may change, suspend or discontinue the Online Services for any reason, at any time, including the availability of any feature or content. The Company may also impose limits on certain features and services or restrict your access to parts or all of the Online Services without notice or liability.
BKGaming: Steamworks, Tages, SecuROM, GFWL... these are DRM. These control what you can do with your game from installing to copying to playing which you are physically entitled too with an indefinite license.
Dude, you are fucking stupid, just go fuck yourself and fuck your mother too. As long as you can not use features like multiplayer even on LAN because their anti-piracy system (which, you fucking retard, is incorporated inside the game client, not the inside "the service") it means that it has DRM. Read this, you fucking retard, the game has 2 MODES, single and multi player (not services, MODES, you fucking stupid piece of shit) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_Wonders_III#Reception . One of this mods HAS DRM. You can say whatever you want, you can name the game A SERVICE, a lame attempt or even your fucking mother, that wont change the fact that this game has DRM.

vrmlbasic: I don't want to play online at all but I can't. Playing this game in multiplayer is impossible for me.

You can not buy multiple copies because GOG is not optimized for DRM.

Arghmage: Screaming and shunting didn't change the fact that this is completely wrong. You can play the complete game in single player modus without any connection to the server at all.
Yes, you stupid fuck, but who cares about single player in 2014?

deadpool223: to be fair purple even stated he doesn't own the game at all nor does he care for the game.

so he doesn't know shit about what he's talking about he's screaming DRM when the game has no DRM simply because he really doesn't know what DRM is

i mean he keeps insulting anyone who logically and correctly proves him wrong then states that he's 'winning' every argument.

2 the account creation and login is entirely OPTIONAL, i know this because i didn't need to create an account when i first played the game i just clicked guest and off i went.

so in what way is this game ladened with DRM, Hmmm? can you care to explain without yelling insults because someone disagrees with you.
I can explain and I have already did that 1000 times, can you read, you fucking piece of shit?!! I have already argued VERY logical and scums like you still can not understand. Just read the fucking forum.

How the fuck is the account login optional?!!? I can not play multiplayer even on LAN without it, I cant even save my fucking settings in guest mode.

Do you want me to say that ONLY MULTIPLAYER HAS DRM?! well, I cant, if multi has DRM than the game has DRM as long as multiplayer is the most important part of any modern game, who cares about single player? we are not in 1994 anymore!
TheJadedOne: So, my computer has this little thing in it called a CPU. It can add two numbers. (OK, it can do a lot of other stuff too, but it can add two numbers, at least if they're not too big, or too small, or too precise, or whatever.)

And there's this game series I've played. Let's call it Game X. In the first 2 versions of this game, everytime the game wanted to add two numbers it used my CPU. (In fact, it used it for all its math needs.)

Now they've come out with Game X 3, and it does things a little different. Sometimes when it wants to add two numbers (seems to happen when I play with friends), it contacts the servers of the Game X publisher and sends the two numbers (and my registration key, and maybe some information about my computer -- who knows), and their server sends back the sum. The game then uses that sum and continues.

Some people say this is DRM. They point out that out that when the publisher decides to shut down their servers, this scheme won't work anymore -- my game will be crippled. Some of them even point out the possibility of adding the numbers on the local CPU and suggest the game developer's should have allowed for that. Some go so far as to suggest that the real reason the game wasn't made to support using the local CPU in this case and instead was made to use the publisher's servers was so the game publisher could have the ability to manage their digital "rights". (Conspiracy nutters for sure -- they think they have rights! And this publisher is an angel, pure as driven snow - they would never do such a thing!)

Other people say this isn't DRM. They say this remote addition of numbers is a "service", and a service isn't DRM. They say you can't call it DRM just because the game devs didn't implement the "feature" of adding numbers on the local CPU. (And that's not being gullible or disingenuous at all! No sir-eee! On a completely unrelated note, my neighbor's dog just took a piss on my shoes -- wait, no, I'm being told that's the wrong way to describe it -- the dog just "serviced" my shoes. Either way, my socks are soaked.)

Now, is it or is it not DRM? I think I'll just ignore that question, because debating definitions isn't really interesting. (After all, words apparently just mean whatever the {depressingly low-intelligence} unwashed masses say they mean, and that changes over time and is only tenuously related to reality.)

Anyways, I can't wait for Game X 4. I hear that they'll use the publisher's servers not only for even more additions, but a few multiplications as well! I have to admit that I don't really know how that improves the game experience, but I'm sure they wouldn't go through all that trouble if it didn't. Of course, this means a lot more features of the game will depend on this "service" and will be unavailable when they decide to turn off their servers, but I'm guessing the sums and products their servers generate are so much better that no one would really want to play the game without their servers anyways.

I suppose that DRM definition thing might impact me at some point. I mean, if it's got DRM then GOG won't sell it, right? Luckily, no matter how many features of the game depend on the publisher's servers, there seem to be plenty of people here ready and willing to argue that it's just a "service" and not DRM. (Though I can't believe they haven't yet mentioned the "ultimate proof" argument: What do "servers" do? They provide "services". That's why they're called "servers"!)
Good post but I guess it is too subtle for the average GOG users, as you can see :s.
Post edited April 07, 2014 by EPurpl3
DF1871: @Deadpool
You can't play MP without a account and some features doesn't work at Guestmode but it was announced that the problem with the guestmode is a bug that will be fixed...we will see.

@BK-Gaming
You say...the mulitplayer is only a service and not a part of the game we bought...
->Well...nowadays we don't buy games at all, by definition we only buy/rent the right to use the content of the game
->For AoW3 a MP-mode if officially part of the content we bought/rented, albeit only online+Hotseat
->to exercise all your owned rights it's not enought to buy/rent->download->install the content but in addition you need to create a Thriumphaccount, register the content and be logged in->that kind of limitation is DRM per definition, a mild one compared to others but still DRM

PS:
You sayed that it's illegal to play a MP-Game if you only own one copy of the game.
Althought true for new games..there where several older game where you still bought the game instead of the right to use the content and that games included the right for private MP-session, the old parts of the Warlords/Warlords Battlecry-series is one example and they even had a "special" installoption where you could install a version of the gamer that could only be used to play MP.
Sadly these days are long gone...but the dream is still alive ;)
Another good post.
BKGaming: But you still fail to realize the multiplayer is a service. I fully believe that every game that has multiplayer should offer a way to play it long after the game company is gone. But they do not have too. They do not have to offer you a way to play with LAN with a friend. Not doing that doesn't mean the game now has DRM. I don't know how I can make that any clearer. You can't claim a service that your not entitled to as DRM.

Take Rockstar's TOS:

Steamworks, Tages, SecuROM, GFWL... these are DRM. These control what you can do with your game from installing to copying to playing which you are physically entitled too with an indefinite license.
EPurpl3: Dude, you are fucking stupid, just go fuck yourself and fuck your mother too. As long as you can not use features like multiplayer even on LAN because their anti-piracy system (which, you fucking retard, is incorporated inside the game client, not the inside "the service") it means that it has DRM. Read this, you fucking retard, the game has 2 MODES, single and multi player (not services, MODES, you fucking stupid piece of shit) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_Wonders_III#Reception . One of this mods HAS DRM. You can say whatever you want, you can name the game A SERVICE, a lame attempt or even your fucking mother, that wont change the fact that this game has DRM.

EPurpl3: You can not buy multiple copies because GOG is not optimized for DRM.

EPurpl3: Yes, you stupid fuck, but who cares about single player in 2014?

deadpool223: to be fair purple even stated he doesn't own the game at all nor does he care for the game.

EPurpl3: I can explain and I have already did that 1000 times, can you read, you fucking piece of shit?!! I have already argued VERY logical and scums like you still can not understand. Just read the fucking forum.

How the fuck is the account login optional?!!? I can not play multiplayer even on LAN without it, I cant even save my fucking settings in guest mode.

Do you want me to say that ONLY MULTIPLAYER HAS DRM?! well, I cant, if multi has DRM than the game has DRM as long as multiplayer is the most important part of any modern game, who cares about single player? we are not in 1994 anymore!
TheJadedOne: So, my computer has this little thing in it called a CPU. It can add two numbers. (OK, it can do a lot of other stuff too, but it can add two numbers, at least if they're not too big, or too small, or too precise, or whatever.)

EPurpl3: Good post but I guess it is too subtle for the average GOG users, as you can see :s.
you should really not insulting other user´s here. Didn´t your mother told to show some respect if you have an argument with other people? To Bad i can´t find the button to report you,cuz how you tread other people is a complete no go .
EPurpl3: Dude, you are fucking stupid, just go fuck yourself and fuck your mother too. As long as you can not use features like multiplayer even on LAN because their anti-piracy system (which, you fucking retard, is incorporated inside the game client, not the inside "the service") it means that it has DRM. Read this, you fucking retard, the game has 2 MODES, single and multi player (not services, MODES, you fucking stupid piece of shit) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_Wonders_III#Reception . One of this mods HAS DRM. You can say whatever you want, you can name the game A SERVICE, a lame attempt or even your fucking mother, that wont change the fact that this game has DRM.

You can not buy multiple copies because GOG is not optimized for DRM.

Yes, you stupid fuck, but who cares about single player in 2014?

I can explain and I have already did that 1000 times, can you read, you fucking piece of shit?!! I have already argued VERY logical and scums like you still can not understand. Just read the fucking forum.

Good post but I guess it is too subtle for the average GOG users, as you can see :s.
-Wolfschmiddy-: you should really not insulting other user´s here. Didn´t your mother told to show some respect if you have an argument with other people? To Bad i can´t find the button to report you,cuz how you tread other people is a complete no go .
Yes, yes, I've heard that before but I only respect people that I respect and I disrespect people that I disrespect, not my fault that I am sincere and I let everybody know who I respect and who I disrespect. I will never tolerate stupidity and I will always disrespect it, sorry for that. You can report me, who cares, I don't, I can get games with DRM from Steam, i don't need a GOG account for that :P. But this is not about me, what do you think about DRM on GOG games, do you feel good about that? :P