It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
The trick is to edit MyDefUser.ini located in the System folder of the game install folder. This is on most people's PCs at C:\Program Files\GOG.com\Advent Rising\System. *Important* make a backup of this file, and don't edit DefUser.ini. It is possible to make a mistake and prevent the game from loading at all (I've done it).
In order to get the left stick to control movement and the right to control camera (Halo style) make sure the JoyR-JoyZ read as follows.
JoyU=AxisRaw aLookup SpeedBase=3 DeadZone=0.25
JoyR=AxisRaw aTurn SpeedBase=3 DeadZone=0.25
JoyX=AxisRaw aStrafe SpeedBase=300.0 DeadZone=0.25
JoyY=AxisRaw aForward SpeedBase=300.0 DeadZone=0.25 Invert=-1
JoyV=
JoyZ=
They'll be spread all over the place, I suggest you delete them all and add in the ones above so they are grouped together.
A *huge* annoyance is that whenever you go to the Joystick tab of the Controls settings inside the game it reverts the JoyV and JoyZ settings hosing things and making you do the spinny thingy again. It happens even if you don't touch a setting on that page. Once this happens you have to quit the game, edit MyDefUser.ini to clear out the JoyV and JoyZ values, finally reload the game (and sit through the 4 intro screens *again*). The lesson here is fix the sticks LAST, make sure all your other controls are just the way you want them.
thank you A LOT! I was just trying to make my xbox controller run and I had that spinning problem
Have an way to use "JoyZ axe" to fire??
Use a key mapper like xpadder or similar to map the triggers to the correct buttons.
Note that on my Windows 7 64-bit machine, this file was located in C:\Users\[my name]\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\GOG.com\Advent Rising\System
Seems like a nifty trick, I have yet to pick up this game, but I plan to at some point (hoping GOG includes it in a sale)

Going back to the earlier question about "using JoyZ axe to fire", is there a way to alter the .ini file to include trigger capability, or would the only option be to use Xpadder or another keymapping program? Thanks much.
Are there any suggested control layouts for use with a 360 controller?

Thanks in advance :)
This is useful for me. Thanks.
Hicks233: Are there any suggested control layouts for use with a 360 controller?

Thanks in advance :)
I know you probably figured this out already but there is a file called defuser in the game's system folder and it gives the following recommendation: Note that this is for an original xbox controller which means some tweaking of your preferred fire button is needed.

; XBox Controller
;Joy1=Jump ; A
;Joy2=StartMeleeAttack ; B
;Joy3=UseKey ; X
;Joy4=ReloadKey ; Y
;Joy5=AltFire ; Black
;Joy6=Grenade ; White
;Joy7=GuiPause ; Start
;Joy8=ToggleCameraView ; Back
;Joy9=Duck ; l3
;Joy10=DropTarget | CloseHUDMenu ; r3
;Joy11=FavoriteFireButton ; ?
;Joy12=FireButton ; ?
;Joy13=QuickHudKey 0 ; POV up
;Joy14=QuickHudKey 2 ; POV right
;Joy15=QuickHudKey 4 ; POV Down
;Joy16=QuickHudKey 6 ; POV left
;Joy13_Diag=QuickHudKey 1 ; POV up-right
;Joy14_Diag=QuickHudKey 3 ; POV down-right
;Joy15_Diag=QuickHudKey 5 ; POV down-left
;Joy16_Diag=QuickHudKey 7 ; POV up-left
;JoyX=AxisRaw aStrafe SpeedBase=300.0 DeadZone=0.25
;JoyY=AxisRaw aForward SpeedBase=300.0 DeadZone=0.25 Invert=-1
;JoyZ=AxisButton bFavoriteFire DeadZone=0.25 Key=Sim02
;JoyR=AxisRaw aTurn SpeedBase=1.0 DeadZone=0.25
;JoyU=AxisRaw aLookup SpeedBase=1.0 DeadZone=0.25
;JoyV=AxisButton bFire DeadZone=0.25 Key=Sim01
;Sim01=Fire
;Sim02=FavoriteFire

The defuser file is a replacement for the defaultuser ini file. It allows you to change all of the game's controller options so you don't have to go through the game to make the changes you need to the controls. Just copy and paste everything in the defuser file into the defaultuser ini file and enable the 360 controller by removing the semicolons from in front of the entries in the text file. As mentioned before, back everything up and don't ever hit the controller options in the game or you will get the spinning screen issues. Also make sure that you have the joystick enabled in the default and mydefault ini files and you should be good to go.
Post edited March 11, 2014 by RAWgamer
Hicks233: Snip
RAWgamer: Snip
Thank you very much! :)

I've copied over the entries for the controller to the system/defuser.ini file under its XBox Controller heading and have movement and looking enabled with the controller.

I'm guessing these would be assignments for the shoulder buttons and triggers that need to be changed to the input names for a 360 controller?

I checked some titles that have built in compatibility for the 360 controller and they referenced the inputs in a certain way so I added them to the defuser.ini like this;

XBox Controller
Joy1=Jump ; XboxTypeS_A
Joy2=StartMeleeAttack ; XboxTypeS_B
Joy3=UseKey ; XboxTypeS_X
Joy4=ReloadKey ; XboxTypeS_Y
Joy5=AltFire ; XboxTypeS_LeftShoulder
Joy6=Grenade ; XboxTypeS_RightShoulder
Joy7=GuiPause ; XboxTypeS_Start
Joy8=ToggleCameraView ; XboxTypeS_Back
Joy9=Duck ; XboxTypeS_LeftThumbStick
Joy10=DropTarget | CloseHUDMenu ; XboxTypeS_RightThumbStick
Joy11=FavoriteFireButton ; XboxTypeS_RightTrigger
Joy12=FireButton ; XboxTypeS_LeftTrigger
Joy13=QuickHudKey 0 ; XboxTypeS_DPad_Up
Joy14=QuickHudKey 2 ; XboxTypeS_DPad_Right
Joy15=QuickHudKey 4 ; XboxTypeS_DPad_Down
Joy16=QuickHudKey 6 ; XboxTypeS_DPad_Left
Joy13_Diag=QuickHudKey 1 ; POV up-right
Joy14_Diag=QuickHudKey 3 ; POV down-right
Joy15_Diag=QuickHudKey 5 ; POV down-left
Joy16_Diag=QuickHudKey 7 ; POV up-left
JoyX=AxisRaw aStrafe SpeedBase=300.0 DeadZone=0.25
JoyY=AxisRaw aForward SpeedBase=300.0 DeadZone=0.25 Invert=-1
JoyZ=AxisButton bFavoriteFire DeadZone=0.25 Key=Sim02
JoyR=AxisRaw aTurn SpeedBase=1.0 DeadZone=0.25
JoyU=AxisRaw aLookup SpeedBase=1.0 DeadZone=0.25
JoyV=AxisButton bFire DeadZone=0.25 Key=Sim01
Sim01=Fire ; XboxTypeS_LeftTrigger
Sim02=FavoriteFire ; XboxTypeS_RightTrigger

I've got most of the functions working as far as I can tell.

Just having difficulty with these:

Joy13_Diag=QuickHudKey 1 ; POV up-right
Joy14_Diag=QuickHudKey 3 ; POV down-right
Joy15_Diag=QuickHudKey 5 ; POV down-left
Joy16_Diag=QuickHudKey 7 ; POV up-left

That and trying to get the triggers to work:

Sim01=Fire ; XboxTypeS_LeftTrigger
Sim02=FavoriteFire ; XboxTypeS_RightTrigger
Joy11=FavoriteFireButton ; XboxTypeS_RightTrigger
Joy12=FireButton ; XboxTypeS_LeftTrigger

Any ideas for the diagonal inputs on the dpad and the triggers?
Post edited March 24, 2014 by Hicks233
Useful thread! esp 1st post.

for controller I just made changes to MyDefUser.ini
and then copied all of the suggestions and made edits just too MyDefUser.ini under Under [Engine.Input]

but there was no corresponding trigger functions so
I had to resort to using a keymapper to get triggers to work
my dpad seams to work okay with suggestions above

the particular software i used was antimicro found via http://alternativeto.net/software/antimicro/
https://github.com/Ryochan7/antimicro
open source and free - basic but functional ;)
works like xpadder without the pretentiousness...

had to make sure I ran the program as administrator though on win7 64bit

mapped mouse buttons to triggers and mouse up and down to shoulder buttons on controller

its working ok for now
Post edited September 24, 2014 by corzair
what i have to do?

i've read the thread and i am a little confused
what i have to do?

i've read the thread and i am a little confused
corzair: the particular software i used was antimicro found via http://alternativeto.net/software/antimicro/
https://github.com/Ryochan7/antimicro
open source and free - basic but functional ;)
That antimicro thing is a great tip - I don't find it basic at all, it's a great piece of software that's well worth donating for, if you ask me. Thanks corzair!

I also had to run it as administrator, but I heard this may not be necessary if you installed the game in a directory where it doesn't need admin rights. Didn't try that though, I have it in the standard "programs" location.

After a lot of fiddling I found the perfect setup for me, heavily inspired from the original Xbox controller mapping. If anyone's interested, I can send them my MyDefUser.ini and Mydefault.ini files as well as my antimicro profile - I don't think there's a way I can upload them here.
Hey guys,

Much like oigroig above, I'm a bit at a loss as to what to do. Especially since my MyDefUser file only has two entries ([Engine.Vehicle] and [DefaultPlayer]), and nothing about joystick controls, as the OP seems to indicate.

Any further tips or pointers would be appreciated (Win 8.1, by the way).