It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

This is a complete guide to using an Xbox 360 controller to play Wing Commander 3 (GOG version) on Windows 7. The keyboard is still required for certain commands. It's assumed that you've already purchased and configured a Microsoft XBox 360 Wireless Receiver. (Note: I am using a UK keyboard).

This guide uses Xpadder and DOSBOX's built-in key remapping. Xpadder is required for certain mappings which don't work in DOSBOX (D-Pad and Left/Right on the Right analog stick). XPadder also lets you configure deadzones on the analog sticks - these ensure you don't drift off course when you're not touching the sticks.

1) In the WC3 installation folder, edit dosboxWC3.conf. Save a copy of the original just in case you make a mistake. Change the buttonwrap line to read: buttonwrap = false. This allows you to use more of the pad's buttons.

2) Download the last free version of Xpadder (5.3) from here: www.techspot.com/downloads/5869-xpadder.html (newer versions of Xpadder are available, but they are no longer free).

3) Right-click Xpadder.exe and choose Create shortcut. Right-click on the shortcut and choose Properties. Change the compatibility mode to be Windows Vista (Service Pack 2). If you don't do this, Xpadder won't run on Windows 7. Use this new shortcut to start Xpadder. You'll need it running whenever you play WC3.

4) Set up XPadder, activating both analog sticks and the D-Pad. We'll use DOSBOX to set all the other buttons later. Set the Left analog stick to use the Arrow keys. Set appropriate deadzones for the analog sticks - 25% works for me. Now map the D-Pad buttons - I use mine for Guns and Missiles. If you want to use the Right analog stick's Left and Right, map them here too. See attached images (xpadder1.png and xpadder2.png).

5) Start WC3 as normal. Press CTRL+F1 to change DOSBOX keys.

6) By default, DOSBOX maps Joystick button 1 to the A button and Joystick button 2 to the B button. Let's remove these mappings. Click on the 1 button (highlighted green in the attached screenshot wc3a.png). Click Del to remove the existing binding. Repeat this for the 2 button.

7) You fire missiles with the Enter key, so click on the onscreen Enter key and choose Add. Now click the gamepad button you want to fire missiles. I use the left trigger.

8) You fire guns with the Spacebar, so click on the onscreen Spacebar and choose Add. Now click the gamepad button you want. I use the right trigger.

9) To double movement speed, you can hold the SHIFT key. I like to map this to the Left stick's downclick (button 8).

10) Here's the full list of buttons I mapped. Feel free to change any you like:

Pitch Up (Arrow UP) -> UP on Left stick (via XPadder)
Pitch Down (Arrow DOWN) -> DOWN on Left stick (via XPadder)
Yaw Left (Arrow LEFT) -> LEFT on Left stick (via XPadder)
Yaw Right (Arrow RIGHT) -> RIGHT on Left stick (via XPadder)
Roll left (INS) -> LEFT on Right stick (via XPadder)
Roll right (DEL) -> RIGHT on Right stick (via XPadder)
Double movement (SHIFT) -> Downclick on Left stick (Button 8)
Afterburn Toggle: (`) -> Select
Increase throttle (=+) -> UP on Right stick
Decrease throttle (-_) -> DOWN on Right stick
AutoPilot (A) -> Start
Match speed of target (Y) -> Y
Cycle displays (0) -> X
Drop decoy (E) -> B
Lock target (toggle) (L) -> A
Select next target (T) -> R shoulder
Select next turret (R) -> L shoulder
Fire guns (Spacebar) -> R trigger
Fire missiles (Enter) -> L trigger
Switch gun(s) (G) -> D-Pad UP (via XPadder)
Select full guns (F) -> D-Pad LEFT (via XPadder)
Select all missiles (B) -> D-Pad RIGHT (via XPadder)
Select missile (M) -> D-Pad DOWN (via XPadder)

11) Click Save then Exit to save your mappings and return to the game.

12) As an alternative, some people prefer to swap the Yaw and Roll commands (mapped to left and right sticks). If you'd like to do this, use XPadder to change the following:
Yaw Left (Arrow LEFT) -> LEFT on Right stick (via XPadder)
Yaw Right (Arrow RIGHT) -> RIGHT on Right stick (via XPadder)
Roll left (INS) -> LEFT on Left stick (via XPadder)
Roll right (DEL) -> RIGHT on Left stick (via XPadder)

13) When you're in flight, press ALT+O to enter the Options screen. Change the Control to Keyboard. Click the Save button

14) See the Reference Card and Playguide PDF files (included free with the GOG version) to understand what all the controls do.

15) Flight and combat should now be fairly easy with an XBox pad, though it still takes a bit of practice. Good luck!
Attachments:
wc3a.png (65 Kb)
xpadder1.png (118 Kb)
xpadder2.png (42 Kb)
Post edited January 01, 2014 by daydreamboy
daydreamboy: This is a complete guide to using an Xbox 360 controller to play Wing Commander 3 (GOG version) on Windows 7. The keyboard is still required for certain commands. It's assumed that you've already purchased and configured a Microsoft XBox 360 Wireless Receiver.
Thank you, I've been trying to get the Xbox 360 gamepad set up to work with this game for an eternity! I'll have a go tomorrow at setting it up - I have a usb Xbox 360 controller but I guess that shouldn't make any difference.

+1 for the very useful post :)
I've noticed a couple of problems during gameplay...

WC3 seems to ignore Xpadder's deadzones on the left analog stick. In fact, you can disable the left stick in Xpadder and WC3 plays exactly the same.

Also, when you push the stick to the outside edges, it seems to get stuck for a few moments. You can see this happening in the joystick calibration screen too. This makes flying more difficult than it should be. I suppose I could fly without pushing the stick to the edges, but it's not ideal...

I'll keep experimenting to find solutions for these issues and I'll update the first post if I find anything suitable.

Thank you, I've been trying to get the Xbox 360 gamepad set up to work with this game for an eternity! I'll have a go tomorrow at setting it up - I have a usb Xbox 360 controller but I guess that shouldn't make any difference.

+1 for the very useful post :)
Yeah I expect the USB controller should be fine. Let me know how you get on. I hope this works for you.
Post edited January 01, 2014 by daydreamboy
I've now experimented with both Mouse and Keyboard modes and personally I find the Keyboard mode to be easiest (using Arrow keys mapped to the Left analog stick). I'll update the main post.
I´m having a real strange bug:
Everything works, but when I ´m flying and press the Up button it sometimes doesn`t respond or the ship turns very slow. All other keys work perfect. I tried it also without Xpadder and only the keyboard and it`s still the same.
I also tried it on 2 diffenrent versions of the game: my old orginal one and the GOG one and both are having the same problem.

Did anybody have the same problem and could help me?
daydreamboy: This is a complete guide to using an Xbox 360 controller to play Wing Commander 3 (GOG version) on Windows 7. The keyboard is still required for certain commands. It's assumed that you've already purchased and configured a Microsoft XBox 360 Wireless Receiver. (Note: I am using a UK keyboard).

This guide uses Xpadder and DOSBOX's built-in key remapping. Xpadder is required for certain mappings which don't work in DOSBOX (D-Pad and Left/Right on the Right analog stick). XPadder also lets you configure deadzones on the analog sticks - these ensure you don't drift off course when you're not touching the sticks.

1) In the WC3 installation folder, edit dosboxWC3.conf. Save a copy of the original just in case you make a mistake. Change the buttonwrap line to read: buttonwrap = false. This allows you to use more of the pad's buttons.

2) Download the last free version of Xpadder (5.3) from here: www.techspot.com/downloads/5869-xpadder.html (newer versions of Xpadder are available, but they are no longer free).

3) Right-click Xpadder.exe and choose Create shortcut. Right-click on the shortcut and choose Properties. Change the compatibility mode to be Windows Vista (Service Pack 2). If you don't do this, Xpadder won't run on Windows 7. Use this new shortcut to start Xpadder. You'll need it running whenever you play WC3.

4) Set up XPadder, activating both analog sticks and the D-Pad. We'll use DOSBOX to set all the other buttons later. Set the Left analog stick to use the Arrow keys. Set appropriate deadzones for the analog sticks - 25% works for me. Now map the D-Pad buttons - I use mine for Guns and Missiles. If you want to use the Right analog stick's Left and Right, map them here too. See attached images (xpadder1.png and xpadder2.png).

5) Start WC3 as normal. Press CTRL+F1 to change DOSBOX keys.

6) By default, DOSBOX maps Joystick button 1 to the A button and Joystick button 2 to the B button. Let's remove these mappings. Click on the 1 button (highlighted green in the attached screenshot wc3a.png). Click Del to remove the existing binding. Repeat this for the 2 button.

7) You fire missiles with the Enter key, so click on the onscreen Enter key and choose Add. Now click the gamepad button you want to fire missiles. I use the left trigger.

8) You fire guns with the Spacebar, so click on the onscreen Spacebar and choose Add. Now click the gamepad button you want. I use the right trigger.

9) To double movement speed, you can hold the SHIFT key. I like to map this to the Left stick's downclick (button 8).

10) Here's the full list of buttons I mapped. Feel free to change any you like:

Yaw Left (Arrow LEFT) -> LEFT on Left stick (via XPadder)
Yaw Right (Arrow RIGHT) -> RIGHT on Left stick (via XPadder)
Roll left (INS) -> LEFT on Right stick (via XPadder)
Roll right (DEL) -> RIGHT on Right stick (via XPadder)
Double movement (SHIFT) -> Downclick on Left stick (Button 8)
Afterburn Toggle: (`) -> Select
Increase throttle (=+) -> UP on Right stick
Decrease throttle (-_) -> DOWN on Right stick
AutoPilot (A) -> Start
Match speed of target (Y) -> Y
Cycle displays (0) -> X
Drop decoy (E) -> B
Lock target (toggle) (L) -> A
Select next target (T) -> R shoulder
Select next turret (R) -> L shoulder
Fire guns (Spacebar) -> R trigger
Fire missiles (Enter) -> L trigger
Switch gun(s) (G) -> D-Pad UP (via XPadder)
Select full guns (F) -> D-Pad LEFT (via XPadder)
Select all missiles (B) -> D-Pad RIGHT (via XPadder)
Select missile (M) -> D-Pad DOWN (via XPadder)

11) Click Save then Exit to save your mappings and return to the game.

12) As an alternative, some people prefer to swap the Yaw and Roll commands (mapped to left and right sticks). If you'd like to do this, use XPadder to change the following:
Yaw Left (Arrow LEFT) -> LEFT on Right stick (via XPadder)
Yaw Right (Arrow RIGHT) -> RIGHT on Right stick (via XPadder)
Roll left (INS) -> LEFT on Left stick (via XPadder)
Roll right (DEL) -> RIGHT on Left stick (via XPadder)

13) When you're in flight, press ALT+O to enter the Options screen. Change the Control to Keyboard. Click the Save button

14) See the Reference Card and Playguide PDF files (included free with the GOG version) to understand what all the controls do.

15) Flight and combat should now be fairly easy with an XBox pad, though it still takes a bit of practice. Good luck!
There is NO way I'm installing this. This so-called 'Free' piece of software fills your PC with nothing but spyware and junk. I'll struggle with the keyboard before I put that junk in my machine. It was hard enough to get it out the first time it invaded my system. XPadder is a rip-off. Don't use it!!
reionpremente: There is NO way I'm installing this. This so-called 'Free' piece of software fills your PC with nothing but spyware and junk. I'll struggle with the keyboard before I put that junk in my machine. It was hard enough to get it out the first time it invaded my system. XPadder is a rip-off. Don't use it!!
To clarify, that extra garbage was added by that particular site and is not part of Xpadder itself (Xpadder doesn't even have an installer; it's completely portable). The real Xpadder can be purchased from Xpadder.com.
reionpremente: There is NO way I'm installing this. This so-called 'Free' piece of software fills your PC with nothing but spyware and junk. I'll struggle with the keyboard before I put that junk in my machine. It was hard enough to get it out the first time it invaded my system. XPadder is a rip-off. Don't use it!!
Arkose: To clarify, that extra garbage was added by that particular site and is not part of Xpadder itself (Xpadder doesn't even have an installer; it's completely portable). The real Xpadder can be purchased from Xpadder.com.
I've been using xpadder for 2 years and I love it. I don't have any spyware or viruses from it. Its the greatest thing I ever bought. I use it for almost all of my games. Xpadder of is the official website. If u download a earlier version u need to be careful were u download it from. I can't remember if I got my test version from Xpadder.com or from somewhere else.
Xpadder is no longer freeware.
Post edited September 12, 2017 by BrandeX
For some reason i can't get the analog stip to keep from jumping around. i've tried changing joysticktype=fcs in the .conf file, as well as switching 'timed' to 'false', but the left analog stick just skips around. I'd rather not loose the analog functionality by switching the stick to keyboard presses. Anyone know a way around this? Wing Commander 1 and 2 work just fine.
BrandeX: OP would have been a lot cooler if it had just had attached the Xpadder and DOSbox cfg files to copy/import instead.

edit: even better is just replacing the DOSBOX files with a newer version dosbox-daum, then you don't need any of this, and Xinput controllers work as they should.
How do those Dosbox mods work?
BrandeX: OP would have been a lot cooler if it had just had attached the Xpadder and DOSbox cfg files to copy/import instead.

edit: even better is just replacing the DOSBOX files with a newer version dosbox-daum, then you don't need any of this, and Xinput controllers work as they should.
ShadowWulfe: How do those Dosbox mods work?
For me it's the definitive version of DOSBOX, which hasn't had an updated release in years.
ShadowWulfe: How do those Dosbox mods work?
BrandeX: For me it's the definitive version of DOSBOX, which hasn't had an updated release in years.
I tried to install the daum once a while back and had no idea what I was doing. Is it simple to just overwrite files or is there some fancy footwork I need to type?
BrandeX: For me it's the definitive version of DOSBOX, which hasn't had an updated release in years.
ShadowWulfe: I tried to install the daum once a while back and had no idea what I was doing. Is it simple to just overwrite files or is there some fancy footwork I need to type?
Use the normal Windows installer package as you would any other program.
http://ykhwong.x-y.net/
ShadowWulfe: I tried to install the daum once a while back and had no idea what I was doing. Is it simple to just overwrite files or is there some fancy footwork I need to type?
BrandeX: Use the normal Windows installer package as you would any other program.
http://ykhwong.x-y.net/
And it installs right over the GOG version of WC3 with no problems?