It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

, "but now that these people have fought for their rights - and won (at least in most countries in the West) - they seem to be taking things too far.".

Trans folks have rights in 13 states. The Christian Right wants to eliminate them anywhere and a Trump 2 will happily strip all rights from trans folks. The idea of "too far" is mere antipathy towards minorities plain and simple.

Further the idea that there are only two genders when a) binaries in nature don't exist and b) anyone paying attention to history sees a wide array of gender expressions dating back thousands of years it is creating a planet that not only doesn't exist - much like the fictional 50s the right loves to believe existed - it never existed.
destroyallmnstrs: binaries in nature don't exist
And people thought that creationists were crazy.
devoras: They have had gender studies courses for at least a couple of decades now. I remember there were people taking women's studies in university 20 years ago. Of course back then it was just a throwaway degree and a waste of money, something to be ignored, I'm not sure when postmodernism infiltrated it and mutated it into the dangerous beast it is today. Now a lot of them claim things like 'needing evidence is oppressive' and 'science is racist'.
Modern definition of racist: I don't agree with you. It has lost all meaning to the point of uselessness.
destroyallmnstrs: , "but now that these people have fought for their rights - and won (at least in most countries in the West) - they seem to be taking things too far.".

Trans folks have rights in 13 states. The Christian Right wants to eliminate them anywhere and a Trump 2 will happily strip all rights from trans folks. The idea of "too far" is mere antipathy towards minorities plain and simple.

Further the idea that there are only two genders when a) binaries in nature don't exist and b) anyone paying attention to history sees a wide array of gender expressions dating back thousands of years it is creating a planet that not only doesn't exist - much like the fictional 50s the right loves to believe existed - it never existed.
So for your claim about rights, you'll have to be more specific about what rights exactly. Only because sometimes people will insist that their rights include infringing on my rights by trying to force me to refer to them a certain way that goes against what I can see is true. Now that doesn't mean that I don't try to be considerate and refer to them how they prefer once I know, but they don't have a right to force me to do/ say something that I don't want to. That individual freedom is more fundamental and more important, for everybody.

You'll have to back up your claim that there are more than two genders, your argument sounds a little crazy on the surface.
destroyallmnstrs: Further the idea that there are only two genders when a) binaries in nature don't exist and b) anyone paying attention to history sees a wide array of gender expressions dating back thousands of years it is creating a planet that not only doesn't exist - much like the fictional 50s the right loves to believe existed - it never existed.
Wait - what?!? Genders are the concepts of human behavior as seen by freidists. Nothing more & nothing less.
And we (at least I am) are not talking about GENDERS - we are talking about SEXES.
Post edited February 02, 2020 by Yunipuma
destroyallmnstrs: Further the idea that there are only two genders when a) binaries in nature don't exist and b) anyone paying attention to history sees a wide array of gender expressions dating back thousands of years it is creating a planet that not only doesn't exist - much like the fictional 50s the right loves to believe existed - it never existed.
Yunipuma: Wait - what?!? Genders are the concepts of human behavior as seen by freidists. Nothing more & nothing less.
And we (at least I am) are not talking about GENDERS - we are talking about SEXES.
Science (in crude terms): (animal) Male - seed provider; female - seed receiver. Witch doctors, ie, Freudists (are there any of them still around?) have no bearing in this; it;s biological.
Post edited February 02, 2020 by lordhoff
Yunipuma: Wait - what?!? Genders are the concepts of human behavior as seen by freidists. Nothing more & nothing less.
lordhoff: Science (in crude terms): (animal) Male - seed provider; female - seed receiver. Witch doctors, ie, Freudists (are there any of them still around?) have no bearing in this; it;s biological.
Maybe it's my lack of English, but I always assumed that BIOLOGICAL, scientific word is "sexes", while PSYCHOLOGICAL word is "genders". Correct me if I'm wrong here - english is obviously not my native language.
And all that psychological mumbo-yumbo is just a pretty theory of Freud.
lordhoff: Science (in crude terms): (animal) Male - seed provider; female - seed receiver. Witch doctors, ie, Freudists (are there any of them still around?) have no bearing in this; it;s biological.
Yunipuma: Maybe it's my lack of English, but I always assumed that BIOLOGICAL, scientific word is "sexes", while PSYCHOLOGICAL word is "genders". Correct me if I'm wrong here - english is obviously not my native language.
And all that psychological mumbo-yumbo is just a pretty theory of Freud.
They are often used interchangeably but, there is diferentiation as you say. I did a dictionary check but the forum doesn't allow cutting and pasting so I aborted putting it here. I did a search for: dictionary sex and dictionary gender and the defintions came up without even needing to open the site.
Firstly, a) what drugs are you on to think that "binaries in nature don't exist"? Sure there are SOME species that are not binary, but they are very much the exception and not the rule.

Secondly, b) "going back thousands of years" - OK let's do that. Let's go to one of the most decadent periods in ancient history we know about, Imperial Rome (some parts of it anyway), possibly even ancient Rome and ancient Greece.

There we indeed have men sometimes wearing women's clothing and acting as women. Plus there's lots of evidence of homosexuality, but that's tangential and technically not really a gender thing. Plus there's... well that's it pretty much.

There's an instance of one short-lived emperor offering money to people who could perform a sex change (which of course wasn't possible back then), but that still just means he spent most of his time acting as a woman. Interestingly, despite being emperor of Rome (and therefore having near unlimited power), there's no record of him insisting anyone refer to him as a "she".

Sure there's instances of people who acted a different gender depending on their mood (so "gender fluid"), but that's still two genders really - "gender fluid" isn't a valid gender, it just means the person changes their mind a lot.

So what we have is STILL two genders. Just because some people pretend to be the opposite gender, or switch genders depending on mood, or dress in a "neutral" fashion, doesn't mean there are more than two all of a sudden.

People still have the option to do all those things that people did in the past, and more - there's no reason to create special toilets just for those people though, or to create special pronouns, or any other such bullshit. Why can't they just enjoy the fact that they can be who they want to be without getting beaten up or harassed? Wasn't that what they were striving for initially?
[Wrong place posted. Sorry.]
Post edited March 05, 2020 by Yunipuma
wow. as someone who finally got around to playing Bloodlines 1 this is really disappointing. off the wishlist for this one...
UnrelatedComa: wow. as someone who finally got around to playing Bloodlines 1 this is really disappointing. off the wishlist for this one...
Haha, yeah nobody's really too proud about Redemption. In the immortal words of Christof himself, "to the Abyss with thee!"
UnrelatedComa: wow. as someone who finally got around to playing Bloodlines 1 this is really disappointing. off the wishlist for this one...
Driderman: Haha, yeah nobody's really too proud about Redemption. In the immortal words of Christof himself, "to the Abyss with thee!"
Bloodlines 1 was after Redemption and is officially: Vampire the Masquerade, Bloodlines". Bloodlines 2 is supposedly on the way. You can't really compare the two as Bloodlines 1 is a role playing game and Redemption isn't. For the type of game and with the user mod, it is a fine, if old, game.
Post edited March 24, 2020 by lordhoff
lordhoff: You can't really compare the two as Bloodlines 1 is a role playing game and Redemption isn't.
did you mix up the two games there? even if they werent listed as Bloodlines being an action RPG and Redemption as just RPG, i think Redemption is clearly deeper into the RPG elements. granted they are both quite linear but im guessing thats a product of the era theyre from.
lordhoff: You can't really compare the two as Bloodlines 1 is a role playing game and Redemption isn't.
UnrelatedComa: did you mix up the two games there? even if they werent listed as Bloodlines being an action RPG and Redemption as just RPG, i think Redemption is clearly deeper into the RPG elements. granted they are both quite linear but im guessing thats a product of the era theyre from.
Redemption is a hack and slash. Basically just kill everything to a story. Great fun but your choices have little meaning.
Post edited March 24, 2020 by lordhoff