It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Hi.
Is there any chance for Linux version of UT2k4?
On official details page is only written:
Compatible with : Windows® Vista & Windows® XP
This question / problem has been solved by stormaimage
storma: As Xorlium said, specs would help.
Just a couple things off the top of my head, check your renderer settings, make sure it's opengl.
Do you have an Ati card? I had to roll back the driver to 8.10. 8.11 had graphical glitches all over the place and performance just wasn't there. With 8.10, everythings maxed out and performance is sweet.
If you start it from the command line, any error messages indicating what might be happening?

Ok, that was my work computer that isn't very fast. Now i'm on AMD Sempron 2400+ and Radeon 9550 nad game works very well :)
But there is no sound.
I have this package: http://packages.ubuntu.com/gutsy/libopenalpp-cvs1 and file libopenalpp.so.1.0.0 from it.
I copied it to .../System and renamed to openal.so
And still nothing.
Any ideas?
With things like this, it really does help if you can start it from the command line and post the output or provide a link to pastebin.
http://pastebin.com/
I start from command line and I don't have any error message or something like that. In fact i don't have any message :(
Did you try using this linux installer ?
http://download.beyondunreal.com/fileworks.php/official/ut2004/ut2004-lnxpatch3369-2.tar.bz2
Well First installing with Wine and then use the linux patch works fine.
But yeah a simple zip archive or so would have made it much easyer.
And one with pre linux patched would be great.
I love all the great games that GOG.com has and I have bought many of them. I am a Linux user and I wouldn't be arrogant enough to ask for native ports, but it would be nice if games where support exists for running under Linux it would be easily available somehow. For games where such support does not exist it would be great if a link to the winehq appdb entry tracking how well the title is supported somewhere.
Worked perfectly, except for sound, which doesn't seem to work. I tried copying libopenal.so, libopal.so and the libopenal.so that came with my HumbleBundle version of Trine, all to libopenal.so, but to no effect. I'm using Archlinux, as there doesn't seem to be a libopenalpp.so anywhere (says locate).

NOT SOLVED: if you are using Arch Linux, you need install openallapp from AUR.

http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=9889

EDIT: sadly, the package is out of date. I edited the source to be able to compile it, but to no avail. still no sound :(

LAST EDIT : no need for libopenalpp.so actually! just copy /usr/lib/libopenal.xx.xx.xx.so (where xx.xx.xx is the current version number of libopenal) to System/openal.so (notice how it doesn't need the "lib" prefix!). Everything works perfectly now :)
Post edited May 30, 2011 by sammyf70
One thing you could do is to create a symlink, so that you don't have duplicates on your system. just ln -s /from/ /to/ Still downloading the installer! But I'm ready to play and help once I get home from work!
sammyf70: Worked perfectly, except for sound, which doesn't seem to work. I tried copying libopenal.so, libopal.so and the libopenal.so that came with my HumbleBundle version of Trine, all to libopenal.so, but to no effect. I'm using Archlinux, as there doesn't seem to be a libopenalpp.so anywhere (says locate).

NOT SOLVED: if you are using Arch Linux, you need install openallapp from AUR.

http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=9889

EDIT: sadly, the package is out of date. I edited the source to be able to compile it, but to no avail. still no sound :(

LAST EDIT : no need for libopenalpp.so actually! just copy /usr/lib/libopenal.xx.xx.xx.so (where xx.xx.xx is the current version number of libopenal) to System/openal.so (notice how it doesn't need the "lib" prefix!). Everything works perfectly now :)
So, when will you add the Linux and Mac versions?

I know plenty of people playing this game on those OS-s, but it's not sold anywhere digitally anymore. Mac version is not even sold on discs anymore.
Post edited December 13, 2012 by Mia
Still waiting for linux ver
storma: I've got it running under linux. :) The steps I took are..

1. Installed using Playonlinux or wine, whatever you fancy.
2. Grab the linux patch from here:

http://www.fileplanet.com/141074/140000/fileinfo/Unreal-Tournament-2004-Patch-v3369-[Linux]-

3. extract the patch then cp -r UT2004-Patch/* /path/to/GOG.com/Unreal Tournament 2004/

4. cp libSDL-1.2.so.0 to the System dir within GOG.com/Unreal Tournament 2004/
5. cp libopenalpp.so.1.0.0 to System/openal.so

6. from wine open up regedit and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> Software -> Unreal Technology -> Installed Apps -> UT2004. There you will find a CDKey. cp that value to System/CDkey

7. Finally all you have to do is run ut2004-bin from the system dir.
hey! i installed UT2k4 with playonlinux and copied the last linux patch over,but now im a little stuck :(

1) where do i get the libs you mentioned? searching in google like dlls for windows?
2) do i need the installer.run file?
3) how to start the ut2004-bin?

hope you can help me out?!

thanks in advance!
1.) They should be a part of your system.

find /usr -name libSDL-1.2*

2.) Only to install

3.) Make sure it's executable. Can be done via a file manager or cli.

chmod 700 ut2004-bin
Some years ago an installer for the game was released from the LIFLG project (Linux Installers For Linux Gamers). It is meant to install the boxed version of the game on Linux. It contains the latest patched Linux binaries for UT2004 as well as a nice start script and needed libraries for the gamne. This installer, however, can not handle the GOG setup on it's own. I wrote a rough how-to on how to use the LIFLG installer with the GOG setup:

1. Download the LIFLG installer from https://liflg.org/?catid=6&gameid=17
pick the file ut2004_3369-german.midway.dvd-6.run

2. Make the installer executable and unpack it using this command:
./ut2004_3369-german.midway.dvd-6.run --confirm --keep
Confirm to extract but not to execute the setup.
You get a directory ut2004_3369-german.midway.dvd-6 which contains all the files from the LIFLG installer

3. Make a directory for the game, for example:
mkdir ~/ut2004

4. Copy the start script from the installer directory to the game directory:
cp ut2004_3369-german.midway.dvd-6/bin/ut2004 ~/ut2004

5. Unpack the Linux binaries into the game directory:
tar -zxvf ut2004_3369-german.midway.dvd-6/linux-amd64.tar.gz -C ~/ut2004
or for a 32 bit system:
tar -zxvf ut2004_3369-german.midway.dvd-6/linux-x86.tar.gz -C ~/ut2004

6. (I assume you have downloaded the game from GOG already.) Now you need to install the game via Wine. Because we need the gamne files, but we also we need the CDKey of the game.
wine setup_ut2004_2.0.0.6.exe /verysilent /norestart /closeapplications /noicons

7. Copy the game files to your game directory:
cp -a ~/.wine/drive_c/GOG\ Games/Unreal\ Tournament\ 2004/* ~/ut2004/

8. Copy the CDKey from the registry to a textfile:
wine regedit.exe -E cdkey.reg "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Unreal Technology\Installed Apps\UT2004"

9 Read the registry file and write the CDKey file in the game directory:
cat cdkey.reg
echo "XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX" > ~/ut2004/System/CDkey

10. if you want to use GOG's game icon for your menu, you have to extract it first:
icotool -x -i 6 ~/ut2004/gfw_high.ico > ut2004.png -o ~/ut2004/ut2004.png

11. Clean up all the mess, which is no longer needed. ;)
delete the LIFLG directory:
rm -rf ut2004_3369-german.midway.dvd-6
Delete the registry file:
rm -f cdkey.reg
Uninstall the windows/wine game:
wine ~/.wine/drive_c/GOG\ Games/Unreal\ Tournament\ 2004/unins000.exe
(Maybe you need to the delete a desktop icon from the wine installation manually.)

You now have only the downloaded files (for your personal backup) and the game directory left.

Start the game with ~/ut2004/ut2004

If you hear no sound it may help to set UseDefaultDriver=False in the config file ~/.ut2004/System/UT2004.ini (which was automatically created when you started the game for the first time).

I hope this very rough guide helps you to set up the game properly on your system. Have a lot of frags! ;)
Post edited February 12, 2018 by hollwitz
Another set of instructions, partially based on the ones posted before. There is more than one way to skin a cat.

UT 2004 GOG version on Arch Linux
=================================

1. Download the UT2004 Linux 3369.2 patch.
2. Install the game via wine.
3. Extract the patch in the game directory, overwriting files and directories.
4. Use regedit to get the CDkey from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Unreal Technology\Installed Apps\UT2004.
5. Create the file CDkey in GAMEDIRECTORY/System and copy the key there.
6. Try to start the game by running ut2004-bin-linux-amd64 in GAMEDIRECTORY/System/. Add links or missing libraries as necessary and try again. In my case the following was required.
a. ln -s /usr/lib/libSDL-1.2.so.0 GAMEDIRECTORY/System/libSDL-1.2.so.0.
b. find libstdc++.so.5 and copy it to GAMEDIRECTORY/System. I found a copy as part of my Lutris installation.
7. The game should launch now.
8. If there is no sound, edit ~/.ut2004/System/UT2004.ini and change UseDefaultDriver=True to False.
9. You may want to change the resolution here as well, 1920x1080 was not available to me in-game, but changing it here worked. The config variables are called FullscreenViewportX and Y, same for Windowed.
10. Don't forget to have fun.
Post edited February 12, 2018 by hollunder
Confirming hollunder's instructions still work in 2020. Installed from DVD. I'd buy it again from GOG if there were no-hassle Linux support, as it is it's pretty easy to get working though.