It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I played the hell out of Tyrian AND Tyrian 2k some ages ago and I seem to remember the sounds in the menus being more in sync with their respective actions. From the very first menu screen it felt like the selection sounds were playing a little too behind my button presses. I'm running the game through the GOG provided Dos Box on top of Windows 7 Pro.
Previously I played it with an older version of Dos Box on XP I think, and originally I ran it on a windows 98 laptop (the game recognized the pentium, it was that long ago).

Is it just me or does this happen for everyone?
Are there possibly Dos Box changes I can make or system changes I can make?
No posts in this topic were marked as the solution yet. If you can help, add your reply
Dreforian: I played the hell out of Tyrian AND Tyrian 2k some ages ago and I seem to remember the sounds in the menus being more in sync with their respective actions. From the very first menu screen it felt like the selection sounds were playing a little too behind my button presses. I'm running the game through the GOG provided Dos Box on top of Windows 7 Pro.
Previously I played it with an older version of Dos Box on XP I think, and originally I ran it on a windows 98 laptop (the game recognized the pentium, it was that long ago).

Hi,

In the DOSBox configuration file set blocksize= to something lower. Do take note that you need a sound card that can handle lower buffer sizes or you'll get skippings in the sound and music. I would recommend using 256 for blocksize and prebuffer 10.

I'd also recommend getting the latest DOSBox version from dosbox.com, unless you already have it.
Dreforian: I played the hell out of Tyrian AND Tyrian 2k some ages ago and I seem to remember the sounds in the menus being more in sync with their respective actions. From the very first menu screen it felt like the selection sounds were playing a little too behind my button presses. I'm running the game through the GOG provided Dos Box on top of Windows 7 Pro.

Teppic: Hi,

In the DOSBox configuration file set blocksize= to something lower. Do take note that you need a sound card that can handle lower buffer sizes or you'll get skippings in the sound and music. I would recommend using 256 for blocksize and prebuffer 10.

I'd also recommend getting the latest DOSBox version from dosbox.com, unless you already have it.
Thanks! Initially I tried the settings you suggested. The music played properly but the sound effects both in the menu and in combat were minced for lack of a better term. I upped the values to 512 for blocksize and 100 for prebuffer and the result was fairly satisfying. The music/effects work properly again and the menu sounds play reasonably close to the associated actions.

I'd get the latest version of DosBox if I thought I could do a better job of setup than GoG does. I know enough to fiddle with it, but not casually and I prefer no muss no fuss.

Again, excellent solution. Sorry the reply was so late! Thanks.
All the activity in the bold will yield abode in sprawling procedurally generated labyrinths, with players traveling from alcove to alcove annihilation angry creatures and commutual assorted challenges, with an array of appropriate items to be actuate in anniversary alcove to abetment the players in their quests.

As such, players will be able to aces up power-ups that restore their health, alleviate doors or about-face the allowance in their favor with assorted bewitched furnishings that will accord to their adaptation effort.