It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Might take me a couple of days to finish downloading this thing (slow internet here :P).

Anyways while I wait for that to happen. Anybody running Witxher 3 on GTX 960?

I'm not really a PC gamer. We'll sort of. I bought the card so I would get better experience with my flight simulation software. Except i got very marginal improvement in the game. But i'm guessing that's just because these flight simulation software were never ever optimized. Considering their graphics are not as complex as other entertainment games.

So now i'm in the process of downloading this Witcher3, as it came bundled with the video card, for free which is pretty neat, Worth $60 and I'm getting it for free.

I've watched some of the you tube videos. And I'm fascinated with the graphics quality. I'm just hoping mine would run as closely good enough compared to those videos I've seen.

I have I5 4460 3.2GHz-->boost 3.4GHz (although I have a spare I5 4590 3.4GHx-->boost 3.7GHZ). 8GB dual channel configured system memory (1600 MHz only). PNY GTX 960 4GB DDR5.

Oh BTW, GTX 980 SC reference cooler coming. But I'll pay around with this GTX 960 before I make the switch.

So how do the GTX 960 measure up to this game?
MSI GTX 960 Gaming 4G here, and the game runs surprisingly well. Hairworks causes heavy framerate drops ( as it does on most cards ), but it's not really needed, since even the "standard" hair looks great. Other than that I'm using a custom mix of all High and some Ultra settings @ 1080p and it seems to produce frame rates in the 40+ range on average.

Basically the result is smoother and slightly better looking than the PS4 version, which isn't bad at all for a graphics card in this price range.
I can confirm. Even with the MSI GTX 960 2G (Core I7) very smooth experience (if you turn off Hairworks)
Thanks for sharing. I was a bit pessimistic before, as i have read about some people having issues with their higher configured system. So the Hairworks is indeed pretty heavy on the GPU. I wonder if the 4GB GRAM would offer slight improvement when the Hairworks is turned on. I forgot to mention earlier that i would only be running 1080p, as that's the highest resolution my monitor can support.
I'm running it smooth on a 860M (underpowered GTX 750). Without the epic fail Gameworks features the game runs very smooth.
fun_factor: Thanks for sharing. I was a bit pessimistic before, as i have read about some people having issues with their higher configured system. So the Hairworks is indeed pretty heavy on the GPU. I wonder if the 4GB GRAM would offer slight improvement when the Hairworks is turned on. I forgot to mention earlier that i would only be running 1080p, as that's the highest resolution my monitor can support.
Extra RAM won't help you much with the hairworks calculations. ( In fact, so far the game doesn't seem to use much more than about 2GB of the 4GB on my card, even with most of the settings cranked up. )

I'm kind of hoping they'll provide some better tweak options for the hairworks feature, such as max hair count, or lower hair MSAA.

But in the meantime, the standard hair isn't bad at all, so don't worry too much about it.
cc0537: I'm running it smooth on a 860M (underpowered GTX 750). Without the epic fail Gameworks features the game runs very smooth.
I used to have a GTX 750TI until recently. I'm glad I made the upgrade for this game ( and future releases ), but I wonder how it would have performed. Too bad CDPR didn't release any kind of benchmark for W3 or their engine in general.

As for the Gameworks(not) stuff, it really seems a bit like those features are only dropped in to push sales of high-end Nvidia GPUs.
Post edited May 20, 2015 by CharlesGrey
fun_factor: Thanks for sharing. I was a bit pessimistic before, as i have read about some people having issues with their higher configured system. So the Hairworks is indeed pretty heavy on the GPU. I wonder if the 4GB GRAM would offer slight improvement when the Hairworks is turned on. I forgot to mention earlier that i would only be running 1080p, as that's the highest resolution my monitor can support.
CharlesGrey: Extra RAM won't help you much with the hairworks calculations. ( In fact, so far the game doesn't seem to use much more than about 2GB of the 4GB on my card, even with most of the settings cranked up. )

I'm kind of hoping they'll provide some better tweak options for the hairworks feature, such as max hair count, or lower hair MSAA.

But in the meantime, the standard hair isn't bad at all, so don't worry too much about it.
cc0537: I'm running it smooth on a 860M (underpowered GTX 750). Without the epic fail Gameworks features the game runs very smooth.
CharlesGrey: I used to have a GTX 750TI until recently. I'm glad I made the upgrade for this game ( and future releases ), but I wonder how it would have performed. Too bad CDPR didn't release any kind of benchmark for W3 or their engine in general.

As for the Gameworks(not) stuff, it really seems a bit like those features are only dropped in to push sales of high-end Nvidia GPUs.
Ok. Is this also on GTX 960 or on a GTX 980?
CharlesGrey: I used to have a GTX 750TI until recently. I'm glad I made the upgrade for this game ( and future releases ), but I wonder how it would have performed. Too bad CDPR didn't release any kind of benchmark for W3 or their engine in general.
I have a 750Ti and it runs perfect. Everything max (just hairworks turned off).
fun_factor: Ok. Is this also on GTX 960 or on a GTX 980?
Oh, if you get a GTX 980 you should be able to use hairworks, and all the other eye candy. It will still eat up some 10-20 frames per second, but the sheer power of that card should make up for it.

Alternatively, you could turn some settings down to "High" instead of all "Ultra", to have some extra processing power left for the hair. That might net you near constant 60FPS, even with hairworks on. ( And the "High" to "Ultra" visual quality impact of most settings isn't dramatic. )
grrrendel: I have a 750Ti and it runs perfect. Everything max (just hairworks turned off).
You mean literally all "max"? "Ultra" settings, HBAO+ and so on? Bit hard to believe that it could handle that, especially during more crowded scenes. "High" and perhaps even "Medium" still looks great for most settings, though.

But it's definitely a nice GPU, for being considered Low/Mid range. I played WItcher 2, Alan Wake and many other GOG games on mine.
Post edited May 20, 2015 by CharlesGrey
fun_factor: Might take me a couple of days to finish downloading this thing (slow internet here :P).

Anyways while I wait for that to happen. Anybody running Witxher 3 on GTX 960?

I'm not really a PC gamer. We'll sort of. I bought the card so I would get better experience with my flight simulation software. Except i got very marginal improvement in the game. But i'm guessing that's just because these flight simulation software were never ever optimized. Considering their graphics are not as complex as other entertainment games.

So now i'm in the process of downloading this Witcher3, as it came bundled with the video card, for free which is pretty neat, Worth $60 and I'm getting it for free.

I've watched some of the you tube videos. And I'm fascinated with the graphics quality. I'm just hoping mine would run as closely good enough compared to those videos I've seen.

I have I5 4460 3.2GHz-->boost 3.4GHz (although I have a spare I5 4590 3.4GHx-->boost 3.7GHZ). 8GB dual channel configured system memory (1600 MHz only). PNY GTX 960 4GB DDR5.

Oh BTW, GTX 980 SC reference cooler coming. But I'll pay around with this GTX 960 before I make the switch.

So how do the GTX 960 measure up to this game?
I have an EVGA GTX 960 and it works great, same cpu and ra as you. I'm playing on a mix of high-ultra with hairworks off, and I'm getting a consistent 50 FPS outdoors, 70FPS indoors.
That's pretty neat. My eyes can tolerate 30fps low. Anything pass 60fps, i can't tell the difference :D
CharlesGrey: MSI GTX 960 Gaming 4G here, and the game runs surprisingly well. Hairworks causes heavy framerate drops ( as it does on most cards ), but it's not really needed, since even the "standard" hair looks great. Other than that I'm using a custom mix of all High and some Ultra settings @ 1080p and it seems to produce frame rates in the 40+ range on average.

Basically the result is smoother and slightly better looking than the PS4 version, which isn't bad at all for a graphics card in this price range.
Oh, I didn't notice you mentioned "4G" here. So that means you also have a 4GB VRAM GTX 960.
Post edited May 20, 2015 by fun_factor
fun_factor: Oh, I didn't notice you mentioned "4G" here. So that means you also have a 4GB VRAM GTX 960.
Yeah. Like I said, so far the game doesn't even seem to make use of the extra RAM, and it's definitely not helping with hairworks calculation. That mostly just takes raw processing power, so I'd say, at least a GTX 970, unless they make some tweaks/ allow for better customization of the current hairworks implementation.
CharlesGrey: You mean literally all "max"? "Ultra" settings, HBAO+ and so on? Bit hard to believe that it could handle that, especially during more crowded scenes. "High" and perhaps even "Medium" still looks great for most settings, though.

But it's definitely a nice GPU, for being considered Low/Mid range. I played WItcher 2, Alan Wake and many other GOG games on mine.
Hairworks off (that's a real framerate-killer esp. in the cutscenes), two things at "high", all others max. High for: Shadows & (In don't know how it's called in English right now) Bystanders/Crowd in the Background.
CharlesGrey: You mean literally all "max"? "Ultra" settings, HBAO+ and so on? Bit hard to believe that it could handle that, especially during more crowded scenes. "High" and perhaps even "Medium" still looks great for most settings, though.

grrrendel: Hairworks off (that's a real framerate-killer esp. in the cutscenes), two things at "high", all others max. High for: Shadows & (In don't know how it's called in English right now) Bystanders/Crowd in the Background.
I put most at "High", except Textures at "Ultra" since I have 4GB GPU memory, and supposedly higher texture settings help reduce texture pop-ins. And I put NPC count at "Medium", since I figured it would have a heavy FPS impact, but so far I haven't even encountered any large crowds, since I'm only a few hours in.

I might test how it runs with some more settings at "Ultra". Seems like the impact of Ultra settings isn't dramatic though, performance and quality wise.

Does water tesselation affect your framerates? I have water at "High" and it seems like FPS drop down near rivers etc. I haven't checked with an actual FPS counter though, so I could be wrong.
CharlesGrey: Does water tesselation affect your framerates? I have water at "High" and it seems like FPS drop down near rivers etc. I haven't checked with an actual FPS counter though, so I could be wrong.
Nope, not at all.

I just looked into my options - I have pne more setting at high instead of ultra: Foliage Visibility Range. And really important: the new Nvidia driver. But I guess that was the first thing we all installed before playing Witcher 3. :D