It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I've managed to find the right settings/oc to get this game at a constant 60fps.. except when running or riding the horse.
the moment I stop to look around the game jumps back to 60fps, it does the same thing without overclocking the GPU but sometimes lingers at the 56-55fps point, which is understandable.
Testing with GPU-Z i notice that VRAM usage never go above 1140MBs with my 1080p setup. We know GTX 970 supports up to 3.5GBs no problem, heck, GTA V freely dips upwards 3GBs in its VRAM usage (when downsampling from a 4K resolution) & over 2GBs in my native 1080P.
Is there a tweak to deal with the constant FPS dips that last no more than a second each but are annoying nonetheless? or is this an issue that's being addressed?
mdustbowl: I've managed to find the right settings/oc to get this game at a constant 60fps.. except when running or riding the horse.
the moment I stop to look around the game jumps back to 60fps, it does the same thing without overclocking the GPU but sometimes lingers at the 56-55fps point, which is understandable.
Testing with GPU-Z i notice that VRAM usage never go above 1140MBs with my 1080p setup. We know GTX 970 supports up to 3.5GBs no problem, heck, GTA V freely dips upwards 3GBs in its VRAM usage (when downsampling from a 4K resolution) & over 2GBs in my native 1080P.
Is there a tweak to deal with the constant FPS dips that last no more than a second each but are annoying nonetheless? or is this an issue that's being addressed?
a did to 55-56 shouldnt be noticeable if youre gaming at 60, maybe you are getting some kind of microstutter or stutter from the textures streaming. 1.1GB of VRAM sounds very low if youre running ultra textures, maybe theyre not caching properly?? idk just guessing...i would assume this is universal ofc, i havent checked vram usage yet
mdustbowl: I've managed to find the right settings/oc to get this game at a constant 60fps.. except when running or riding the horse.
yorktown1983: a did to 55-56 shouldnt be noticeable if youre gaming at 60, maybe you are getting some kind of microstutter or stutter from the textures streaming. 1.1GB of VRAM sounds very low if youre running ultra textures, maybe theyre not caching properly?? idk just guessing...i would assume this is universal ofc, i havent checked vram usage yet
Thanks for your reply. It is notifiable since I'm using Vsync, A dip to 54-53 even for a second cuts a few frames out and it appears like a stutter. still better than constant tearing tho.
I should also add that it happens in the first village you visit, constantly, and to a much lesser extent outside in the open fields (when sprinting on a horse it happens a lot). turning the pre-rendered frames in the Nvidia controller to 4 helped to lessen the frequency a bit.
Its well playable but visually irritating, and there's really no excuse for the VRam usage cap being so low with a game that's so detailed & gorgeous.
Post edited May 19, 2015 by mdustbowl
Since it is humanly impossible to tell the difference between 55 and 60 FPS without a counter, what does it matter? it is not the FPS that you notice but other things.

BTW turn VSync off. If you must have it on do it with the card and not the game.
That's not what I was actually arguing, of course for the human eye 60fps & 54fps make almost no difference however Vsync usually makes the habit of cutting much more frames in an instance where there's been a drop below 60 down to 30 frames, & that is a very noticeable difference.
To this day i dont understand how people stand playing without any Vsync. I will only put up with the tearing for competitive shooters, otherwise its a big line across the screen, or many lines that cause the game to stutter even FAR worse than while using Vsync.
There are two ways to enable VSync. One is through the card and the other with the game. Do not use the one with the game. If you want VSync then enable it through the card.

VSync and FPS caps in the game is causing many to experience freeze ups and crashes.
Goodmongo: There are two ways to enable VSync. One is through the card and the other with the game. Do not use the one with the game. If you want VSync then enable it through the card.

VSync and FPS caps in the game is causing many to experience freeze ups and crashes.
That actually improved the performance a bit. Thanks