It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The website lists it as 15.6GB yet so far the GoG Downloader has downloaded over 18GB. I've run out of space as I was expecting it to be a smaller download then what it actually is and am having to have to copy the install files to an alternate partition to resume the download.

Please fix the install size depicted on the website in the consumers "My Collection".

Edit: The download size ended up being around 19GB however it finished with some kind of "Merge" process that resulted in the install files consuming over 28GB of space temporarily and after that process was completed the install files consume 15.6GB.

So it downloads more then the size of the installer, it does some magic to make it consume 10GB of more HDD space once the download is complete and then it compresses(?) the files down to the described 15.6GB.
Post edited April 22, 2012 by Franpa
you have some kind of temp files there until download complete
Best practice computing guidelines for Windows OS suggest to have minimum 3x the amount of total memory as an amount of space you should have free on your system hard disk when using Windows.

If you are struggling with the space to the point of running out of it, you will be in trouble once you are running the game actual.
Post edited July 01, 2012 by Ebon-Hawk
So let me get this straight, if I bought the non-digital version of the game, I shouldnt bother installing it as I will have to download the game+ EE files anyway?
Franpa: The website lists it as 15.6GB yet so far the GoG Downloader has downloaded over 18GB. I've run out of space as I was expecting it to be a smaller download then what it actually is and am having to have to copy the install files to an alternate partition to resume the download.

Please fix the install size depicted on the website in the consumers "My Collection".

Edit: The download size ended up being around 19GB however it finished with some kind of "Merge" process that resulted in the install files consuming over 28GB of space temporarily and after that process was completed the install files consume 15.6GB.

So it downloads more then the size of the installer, it does some magic to make it consume 10GB of more HDD space once the download is complete and then it compresses(?) the files down to the described 15.6GB.
i dunno why.. mine is 14.9gb to be exact..
Ebon-Hawk: Best practice computing guidelines for Windows OS suggest to have minimum 3x the amount of total memory as an amount of space you should have free on your system hard disk when using Windows.

If you are struggling with the space to the point of running our of it, you will be in trouble once you are running the game actual.
Re-read my post as I edited it. The downlaoder tool that GoG offers downloaded around 19GB of data and then once the download had completed, performed some process on the files resulting in them temporarily taking up over 28GB of space. The final result was roughly 15.6GB though.
Ebon-Hawk: Best practice computing guidelines for Windows OS suggest to have minimum 3x the amount of total memory as an amount of space you should have free on your system hard disk when using Windows.

If you are struggling with the space to the point of running our of it, you will be in trouble once you are running the game actual.
Franpa: Re-read my post as I edited it. The downlaoder tool that GoG offers downloaded around 19GB of data and then once the download had completed, performed some process on the files resulting in them temporarily taking up over 28GB of space. The final result was roughly 15.6GB though.
Since I am not familiar with the internal installer process of Gog.com games I cannot answer this question within the comfortable degree of accuracy.

It is possible that some files are decompressed to perform some sort of verification or integrity check after which they are deleted (the decompressed files) and only compressed version is made available. It is also possible that a multiple assets are offered with the installer and only one version is selected at the end.

In the end I can only suggest you either post this question to customer service, they actually do respond to it on this website or via e-mail (just be civilized and patient). Or perform some verifications with a friend (or a forum person) who has Witcher 2 available via Steam.
I haven't consulted this with Fallen, so I may be a little off on some points, but here goes...

TL;DR - the Downloader takes up extra space, and the process takes extra time but it's only to make absolutely sure that you download the correct files, for both your peace of mind, and ours. :)

The Downloader downloads 10MB chunk files, which it stores in the game's downloads folder throughout the download process.
After downloading each chunik, it verifies its checksum to make sure that it wasn't corrupt. If it was, the chunk is re-downloaded. If it was corrupt again, and its MD5 is identical, it means that a corrupt copy of the installer is cached somewhere, or we have uploaded the wrong MD5 checksum somehow, or we've just updated the installer mid-download (no longer a problem now that we add universal patches). In such cases, the Downloader asks the user to report this. I would prefer it if the Downloader reported such an event automatically, but we know how sensitive some of our users are towards sending information without their consent, even though calling it "DRM" would have been a long shot.

As soon as all necessary chunks are downloaded, the Downloader merges them into installer files (.exe or .bin).
As soon as all chunks are downloaded (or after each file is merged - not sure at this moment, since I'm writing from home), and in turn all installer files are merged, the Downloader verifies the merged files' integrity. At this point both the chunks and the merged files are present in the folder, to be on the safe side, and take up double the space.
Only after every installer file is confirmed to be uncorrupted, are the chunk files deleted and you're free to enjoy both your game and the temporarily used drive space. ;)

The process takes up extra time and drive space, but is necessary because, even through every chunk is checked, corruption can happen when merging consistent files, due to a borked HDD or RAM.
Troubleshooting such cases (when the Downloader ended up delivering corrupt files), is a real pain both for us Support folk, and for the users, as it takes time and forces users to perform relatively computer-knowledge-intensive tasks. To make our users' lives, and our own, easier, Fallen has added another security measure to the Downloader.
If the merged files are somehow corrupt, the chunks are re-checked on the off chance that the installer was updated mid-transfer (no longer the case), or the chunks were tampered with mid-download (unlikely, but possible).
If this wasn't the case, the files are merged again. If the merged files are corrupt once more, but the checksums were identical on both attempts, the Downloader asks the user to report this.
Once we get such a report we triple-check that we uploaded the proper MD5 checksums. No idea how such a thing might happen if the uploaded checksums were correct, and I'm pretty sure this hasn't happened after the last update. We'll figure this out in case it happens.
Post edited July 03, 2012 by Firek
Thank you, Firek - I think that is exactly the explanation the OP was looking for.

Lets the rest of us know how it works, as well.
Firek: I haven't consulted this with Fallen, so I may be a little off on some points, but here goes...

TL;DR - the Downloader takes up extra space, and the process takes extra time but it's only to make absolutely sure that you download the correct files, for both your peace of mind, and ours. :)

The Downloader downloads 10MB chunk files, which it stores in the game's downloads folder throughout the download process.
After downloading each chunik, it verifies its checksum to make sure that it wasn't corrupt. If it was, the chunk is re-downloaded. If it was corrupt again, and its MD5 is identical, it means that a corrupt copy of the installer is cached somewhere, or we have uploaded the wrong MD5 checksum somehow, or we've just updated the installer mid-download (no longer a problem now that we add universal patches). In such cases, the Downloader asks the user to report this. I would prefer it if the Downloader reported such an event automatically, but we know how sensitive some of our users are towards sending information without their consent, even though calling it "DRM" would have been a long shot.

As soon as all necessary chunks are downloaded, the Downloader merges them into installer files (.exe or .bin).
As soon as all chunks are downloaded (or after each file is merged - not sure at this moment, since I'm writing from home), and in turn all installer files are merged, the Downloader verifies the merged files' integrity. At this point both the chunks and the merged files are present in the folder, to be on the safe side, and take up double the space.
Only after every installer file is confirmed to be uncorrupted, are the chunk files deleted and you're free to enjoy both your game and the temporarily used drive space. ;)

The process takes up extra time and drive space, but is necessary because, even through every chunk is checked, corruption can happen when merging consistent files, due to a borked HDD or RAM.
Troubleshooting such cases (when the Downloader ended up delivering corrupt files), is a real pain both for us Support folk, and for the users, as it takes time and forces users to perform relatively computer-knowledge-intensive tasks. To make our users' lives, and our own, easier, Fallen has added another security measure to the Downloader.
If the merged files are somehow corrupt, the chunks are re-checked on the off chance that the installer was updated mid-transfer (no longer the case), or the chunks were tampered with mid-download (unlikely, but possible).
If this wasn't the case, the files are merged again. If the merged files are corrupt once more, but the checksums were identical on both attempts, the Downloader asks the user to report this.
Once we get such a report we triple-check that we uploaded the proper MD5 checksums. No idea how such a thing might happen if the uploaded checksums were correct, and I'm pretty sure this hasn't happened after the last update. We'll figure this out in case it happens.
Neat, thanks for the detailed information about the entire process and the reasoning behind the decisions. You have answered my question with overkill, thanks.

Quick question: Have you already discussed the possibility of mentioning either in the installer or on the download page, how much space is required to complete the process of preparing the installer? it was just a somewhat nasty surprise when I freed up the amount of space mentioned on the website to find that I actually needed quite a bit more space for the process to complete.

Edit: Also i think the installer wasn't giving a good idea of what it was doing, exactly. I believe at the time I was getting the impression that the process of preparing the install files after the download was complete, was the downloader still downloading stuff and when it failed, I was left with the impression of having an incomplete download and thus believing I needed to restart the download from scratch.

As you can imagine, restarting a 15GB download isn't exactly fun, unless you're in a country that has uber internet.
Post edited July 07, 2012 by Franpa
Franpa: Neat, thanks for the detailed information about the entire process and the reasoning behind the decisions. You have answered my question with overkill, thanks.

Quick question: Have you already discussed the possibility of mentioning either in the installer or on the download page, how much space is required to complete the process of preparing the installer? it was just a somewhat nasty surprise when I freed up the amount of space mentioned on the website to find that I actually needed quite a bit more space for the process to complete.

Edit: Also i think the installer wasn't giving a good idea of what it was doing, exactly. I believe at the time I was getting the impression that the process of preparing the install files after the download was complete, was the downloader still downloading stuff and when it failed, I was left with the impression of having an incomplete download and thus believing I needed to restart the download from scratch.

As you can imagine, restarting a 15GB download isn't exactly fun, unless you're in a country that has uber internet.
I can't promise anything, but I will consult with our web devs where this kind of information could be made visible on the site.

I don't understand your edit, though. The Downloader should only re-download stuff if it found corruption once it was done. This should only mean a couple of 10 MB chunks, though, not the entire installer.
Firek: I can't promise anything, but I will consult with our web devs where this kind of information could be made visible on the site.

I don't understand your edit, though. The Downloader should only re-download stuff if it found corruption once it was done. This should only mean a couple of 10 MB chunks, though, not the entire installer.
What I meant was that the Downloader doesn't make it clear what it is doing and when it fails due to a lack of free space (After the download had completed) you are left with the impression that the download failed. When actually it was the step after the download had completed, that failed.

It lead me to believe I had to redownload from scratch.