It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I've got a Q6600 overclocked to 3.2Ghz. I've also got 6GB of RAM and a nVidia GeForce GTX 260. I can run Crysis 2, Dead Space 2, Mass Effect 2, New Vegas etc. just fine @ 2560x1440 but high resolutions KILL my framerate in The Witcher 2.

With a Medium spec, I'm only averaging ~15fps max. I can get ~40-50fps at 720p, but it looks pretty bad on my 27" screen. I'm just wondering if I'm CPU bound, or if a new GPU would help me here? I don't really want to build up a Sandy Bridge rig, but I would buy an AMD Radeon 6970 if I knew it would triple my framerate with higher resolutions. Thanks!
First off, do you have the 3D drivers that Nvidia likes to install by default installed?

If not, then my guess is your hardware simply can't support that resolution for this game.

However, if you do have the 3D drivers installed, uninstall them. They cause major slowdown for Nvidia cards.

And there's nothing bad about how the game looks at 1920 x 1280 on my 26 inch screen, so I'm guessing you'll probably be just fine if you have to downscale a bit from 2560 x 1440 on your 27 incher. ;p
Post edited May 19, 2011 by revial
Ashok0: I've got a Q6600 overclocked to 3.2Ghz. I've also got 6GB of RAM and a nVidia GeForce GTX 260. I can run Crysis 2, Dead Space 2, Mass Effect 2, New Vegas etc. just fine @ 2560x1440 but high resolutions KILL my framerate in The Witcher 2.

With a Medium spec, I'm only averaging ~15fps max. I can get ~40-50fps at 720p, but it looks pretty bad on my 27" screen. I'm just wondering if I'm CPU bound, or if a new GPU would help me here? I don't really want to build up a Sandy Bridge rig, but I would buy an AMD Radeon 6970 if I knew it would triple my framerate with higher resolutions. Thanks!
Yeah, no way man. Your CPU/RAM are probably fine, but I'd say you'd need at least a GTX580 to run this game at that res on high/ultra. 6970 might do it too... might...
The fact that your framerate goes up when you lower the resolution immediately tells you that the GPU is the bottleneck.