It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

For all those who are convinced your legal rights have been torn asunder, you may wish to log out and go immediately hire a lawyer.

After all, I'm certain your interpretation of the law is correct, but it's still going to cost you thousands of dollars and years in court to win, so there's no reason to put it off, get started today!
johannes1212: I'm not too familiar with Greek importing laws but with NZ, each distributor has full control of where they wish to supply their stocks from, the example of Halo:Reach is a perfect example as the retailer MightyApe has supplied their copies from a different source than Firstgames.co.nz.
Listen, i completely understand your Halo example. But it has nothing to do with the Witcher 2, because Halo was given by the insiders a wider choice of countries versions, maybe we weren't even talking about censorship problems that's why there was no limit. Even if there were a censorship problem (i highly doubt it) it was given a wider choice. End. Which is the thing about Witcher 2. Censorsed and AU version choice alone.

Anyway, i believe neither of us has the full knowledge to support what we are saying, we both strive with examples and all around knowledge. I'm gonna stop this discussion here, you have your opinion, i have mine. -) I just don't like seeing people getting blamed for something they are not responsible for. (e.g. GoG)
Censorship is a non-issue for NZ game distributions, the fact that the majority of NZ retailers only import from Australia for Witcher 2 is because of the cost factor rather than the censorship.
Grunthex: For all those who are convinced your legal rights have been torn asunder, you may wish to log out and go immediately hire a lawyer.

After all, I'm certain your interpretation of the law is correct, but it's still going to cost you thousands of dollars and years in court to win, so there's no reason to put it off, get started today!
I wish people wouldn't talk about shit they know nothing about. This would be settled in the Small Claims Tribunal without the need for lawyers.
Grunthex: For all those who are convinced your legal rights have been torn asunder, you may wish to log out and go immediately hire a lawyer.

beedee: I wish people wouldn't talk about shit they know nothing about. This would be settled in the Small Claims Tribunal without the need for lawyers.
Look nobody is going to need to go that far, not yet by far anyway. GOG will receive their complaints and lets see how it plays out. So far all we have is a single response saying no refund but maybe once they hear enough complaints and understand where the NZ position is coming from they will do something to help.
Lavec: Look nobody is going to need to go that far, not yet by far anyway. GOG will receive their complaints and lets see how it plays out. So far all we have is a single response saying no refund but maybe once they hear enough complaints and understand where the NZ position is coming from they will do something to help.
They've replied to everyone who has messaged them that they will not give a refund (me included).

I've sent them a message outlining the legal situation, I don't like doing it but I'm not prepared to let any company violate my legal rights.
You know, actually all these NZ problems (and I extend my full sympathy to all newzealanders who are inconvenienced by them) might prove to be an indirect solution to Australian ones.

1. It is prohinited to sell an uncensored version in AU.
2. GoG is contractually obliged to provide the same game to AU and NZ, otherwise the distributors might sue them, since it messes up their (misfortunate in face of censorship) distribution strategy.
3. An unofficial patch is released.

Now CDPR has an aliby to support it! They can with all seriousness claim it was meant for NZ users, who deserve the uncensored game. The Australian powers cannot argue with that, and all Australians patching their games do nothing illegal, since distribution of uncesored material is illegal, not the possesion, right?

Let's hope for the sake of all of us, that the patch comes out ASAP. And while I agree that everyone misled by this last minute change of rules has the right to a refund, I applaud CDPR and GoG for their efforts to fulfill their promises as much as they can, even though they're being hindered at each step. They are actually risking a lot by providing all those options, and in my eyes that makes up for the lack of proper warnings, since if they pull this off, that info would be useless anyway.

Soon all version will be equal (and the proletariat will rule the World)!
Lavec: Look nobody is going to need to go that far, not yet by far anyway. GOG will receive their complaints and lets see how it plays out. So far all we have is a single response saying no refund but maybe once they hear enough complaints and understand where the NZ position is coming from they will do something to help.
beedee: They've replied to everyone who has messaged them that they will not give a refund (me included).

I've sent them a message outlining the legal situation, I don't like doing it but I'm not prepared to let any company violate my legal rights.
Well it's Sunday there now so nothing is going to happen today but come Monday maybe they'll come around and decide to make an exception for this case. With digital purchases it's perfectly understandable that there is a policy of no refunds once a purchase is made. I think this case is pretty unique and I hope they can make an exception.
VoodooEconomist: Soon all version will be equal (and the proletariat will rule the World)!
Until the next corporate wrongdoing at least *glares at SONY*
Post edited May 15, 2011 by johannes1212
@VoodooEconomist
These people don't give a sh1t bout the game.. They just want their refund because they felt their almighty principle always stands correct that i shall not be mislead to buy something i did not ordered even there's a simple convenient solution that is not acceptable to them.

What i see is they just intend to cause trouble and make a big complaint because of simple issues. In all honesty, the copy i'm ordering i have no idea if it's the censored version but i don't really care much about it as clearly the developers have hinted in providing a fan mod to sort this out.

I just said refund these folks and let them be happy that they are the mightiest that they won their rights if they so proud of.
@archaven: Have some faith in people. Yeah, we will always find something to complain about and rage, and each one of us has a trigger that makes our bloodpressure skyrocket and say and write about our problems with more passion than they deserve - and nobody's there to judge how much that is exactly, since to each their problems will always seem the gravest.

I always try to assume that people want to talk and discuss - if it turns out I'm wrong, and there is no sense in talking, I withdraw from a discussion. Benefit of doubt.

If it makes dealing with forum emotions more painless, here's a trick I use to try make it easier for me to reply without malice or anger: while reading the posts of other people, try to imagine they are read by Morgan Freeman. It seriously helps.

And if those posts sound like something MF couldn't ever say, that's the "don't feed the flamewar" alert ;-)
Post edited May 15, 2011 by VoodooEconomist
VoodooEconomist: try to imagine they are read by Morgan Freeman. It seriously helps.
Haha that's ace. I feel so calm now I'm about to melt into my chair. I shouldn't have tried it when I was calm already.
archaven: @VoodooEconomist
These people don't give a sh1t bout the game.. They just want their refund because they felt their almighty principle always stands correct that i shall not be mislead to buy something i did not ordered even there's a simple convenient solution that is not acceptable to them.
I actually care very much about the game and am looking forward to playing it. I'm a big fan of the first game and of GOG. I just care more about my legal rights and those of my fellow Kiwis. I'm quite proud of how good New Zealand's consumer protections are and I don't think any company should be able to think they can violate them. Thanks for generalising me.
archaven: @VoodooEconomist
beedee: I actually care very much about the game and am looking forward to playing it. I'm a big fan of the first game and of GOG. I just care more about my legal rights and those of my fellow Kiwis. I'm quite proud of how good New Zealand's consumer protections are and I don't think any company should be able to think they can violate them. Thanks for generalising me.
Apologies for generalization. I believe you come to your senses that GOG and CDPR wanted you to have the uncut version but unable to do so due to legal reasons that they are required to provide the censored version to you and both Australia and New Zealand customers.

IF you actually care very much of the game surely you can accept an unofficial mod from the developers for your edited version to be corrected. I care about the game and IF i have the censored version and i can accept a fix.. but you cant?
Would New Zealand consumer protection laws extend to businesses located in Europe? In my experience the extent would be NZ denying market access (as the ultimate authoritative response). Unless there are special treaties with the EU...

Though, with foreign internet sites it tends to fall on the principle of caveat emptor when no treaty agreements are in place. Unless you can prove to your credit card issuer that there are grounds for reversing the charges, which might be hard in the case of a downloadable product. Perhaps before it's released.

It all seems a little extreme though. I'm reasonably sure GOG will get it all sorted.
Post edited May 15, 2011 by dbnortheast