It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Aaden: Because they ACTUALLY have to. Afaik, it's part of the deal if you want to release a game for the 360 to include achievements worth 1000 GS (with certain restrictions on how many GS you can hand out for doing something specific).
227: Do you have a source for that?

There's probably something like that for the PS3, too. Recently ragequit Infamous because of the stupid achievements. Kindo's totally right--there should be some kind of "off" button for them.

glosoli: well, you just quoted the part you like to answer. it continues with "no rewards other than self satisfaction".
227: I guess my problem is that I can't see how anyone could possibly derive self-satisfaction from a little popup that doesn't have any real value, but if that's what you like then more power to you. More relevant than all that, I was taking offense to the comparison that you made between the two because narrative is such a huge thing that having its influence brushed off was depressing. Not meaning to argue, just trying to make a point that story is everything.

Now, if someone designed a game that broke the fourth wall ala Conker's Bad Fur Day and made "achievements" a necessary part of gameplay and the plot... that would be amazing.
Here's the Wikipedia link. Unfortunately, the link to the source is dead - since MS shut down the x360 development blog by now.
Aaden: Steam just included it, because the majority of gamers likes that sort of e-peen (and failed badly btw, by not including an overall count).
Actually I like it better that way. As some others have said, achievements to me are a simple personal challenge, either getting you to try playing the game a different way or show hidden content, etc. Having a point score total kind of seems ridiculous, better just how many completed/how many not. If you really want to compare them people know which ones are hard and which not. Had to use gfwl for a game recently and their point value system just seems unecessary and pretty arbitrary, especially game to game. I don't like their running total either. But achievements themselves are fun to me, self-satisfaction, as has been said.
Post edited July 30, 2011 by brother-eros
Kindo: unfortunately, the vast majority of game designers throw them in there because they feel they must
Aaden: Wanna know why?
Because they ACTUALLY have to. Afaik, it's part of the deal if you want to release a game for the 360 to include achievements worth 1000 GS (with certain restrictions on how many GS you can hand out for doing something specific).
Steam just included it, because the majority of gamers likes that sort of e-peen (and failed badly btw, by not including an overall count).
Oh, gods... another reason to hate Microsoft? :(
h0w1er: Sounds like an extremely huge delay, because of "secuiry code" implemented by CDPR on demand of 1C without any tests.
As in result, 1C said "frag it. Leave them, kids, alone" and made agreement with Steam to add their copies to steam's store to the main game, and not as separated value region-locked product.
It's easy to make unsubstantiated allegations.

Do you actually have any verifiable proof of this?
Kleetus: It's easy to make unsubstantiated allegations.

Do you actually have any verifiable proof of this?
Of course, I'm russian myself, I know what I'm talking about.
All rus game's sites were shitting about this, forums were a total waste.
Some people were using torrent-pirated game, to be able to play the game, while disk with their game wasn't able to give them this ability.

Here is the link to the news site of the rus publisher of tW2 via google transalte for you.
Check 28/05/2011 :
The company CD Projekt RED announces that a posted May 26 update 1.1 for the Russian version of " The Witcher 2. The murderers of kings "was not a proper degree tested, which led to significant problems after installing it in a significant number of users.

Representatives of the company apologize for the situation. Throughout the day the Polish programmers in close cooperation with company "1C SoftKlab" worked to eliminate problems caused by installing the patch to the Russian version of the game.
Post edited July 31, 2011 by h0w1er
h0w1er: Check 28/05/2011 :
That's about the patch, it doesn't say anything about "security code implemented by CDPR on demand of 1C without any tests"?
Lol. I've gave the link to whole news feed.
Read just news below,where Michal Novakovsky (CDPR) says:
"We are well aware of the situation with the problems of the Russian version of the game - our partners at Snowball Studios and" 1C-SoftKlab "real-time reporting to us about all user complaints and bugs. There are currently a priority for us - to provide support for all language versions of "The Witcher 2." We thank each customer's licensed version of the game in Russia and urge a little patience while our experts solve problems encountered, so that nothing is no longer spoiled the pleasure of playing "The Witcher 2. Assassin Kings".
Post edited July 31, 2011 by h0w1er
Kleetus: That's about the patch, it doesn't say anything about "security code implemented by CDPR on demand of 1C without any tests"?
I suspect that's because CDPR would've released all game versions without DRM, if they had been allowed to. It was the publishers that insisted on DRM. What makes my theory probable: DRM got removed in the first patch, CDPR were only waiting for an excuse to do that (they hinted at doing this even before release).

We could of course suspect a conspiracy, they might have implemented the SuckaRom sloppily on purpose to show everyone what BS ist really is. ;)

To bad this incident didn't make more ripples than it did. Most gamers seem to be sheep, not even knowing what malware they intive onto their pc's with most of the games and how that can negatively impact on game performance. The example with two versions of the same game being so different should have been an eye opener.
But well, Sony is a big mountain to climb...
What about fixing the broken patch 1.3 installation on Steam? You have exit Steam and run it as administrator after updating to patch 1.3 or else the launcher never comes up. The verify cache integrity thing is also broken. Every time you verify it wants you to download a 9.5GB of data..
Dragynfyre: What about fixing the broken patch 1.3 installation on Steam? You have exit Steam and run it as administrator after updating to patch 1.3 or else the launcher never comes up. The verify cache integrity thing is also broken. Every time you verify it wants you to download a 9.5GB of data..
That is a problem on Steam's end, not CDPR's. TW2 installation on Steam has been screwed since day one.