It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I've been having a rather strange problem with Witcher 1 on my PC. I've got a GeForce GTX 780 Ti graphics card and an Intel Core i7 2600K CPU. Suffice to say, my PC should be able to eat this game alive and have room for Witcher 2 as seconds, but there are some areas of the game (such as the Swamp, Trade Quarter and Lakeside) where my frame rate regularly drops below 40, even down as low as 20-25.

Is there some problem with Nvidia hardware and this game that I should be aware of? Considering I can run modern games like the Tomb Raider reboot with everything at max at a constant 60FPS I find it hard to believe that I can't run Witcher 1 on max with a steady frame rate.
Trade Quarter is usually the worst place in the game.

The problem here is that the game is not modern technology and is pervasively single threaded. Throw a Core i7 at it and the scheduler will context switch it around all 8 bogocores, but it's still never using more than a single core.
Post edited July 01, 2014 by cjrgreen
trish01: I've been having a rather strange problem with Witcher 1 on my PC. I've got a GeForce GTX 780 Ti graphics card and an Intel Core i7 2600K CPU. Suffice to say, my PC should be able to eat this game alive and have room for Witcher 2 as seconds, but there are some areas of the game (such as the Swamp, Trade Quarter and Lakeside) where my frame rate regularly drops below 40, even down as low as 20-25.

Is there some problem with Nvidia hardware and this game that I should be aware of? Considering I can run modern games like the Tomb Raider reboot with everything at max at a constant 60FPS I find it hard to believe that I can't run Witcher 1 on max with a steady frame rate.
Be sure to enable vertical sync in the NVIDIA Control Panel as well as setting the maximum pre-rendered frames to 1.
Foclock.215: Be sure to enable vertical sync in the NVIDIA Control Panel as well as setting the maximum pre-rendered frames to 1.
I'm not OP but I have the same issue. Tried the thing you described, sadly it had no effect, at least not a notable one.
Foclock.215: Be sure to enable vertical sync in the NVIDIA Control Panel as well as setting the maximum pre-rendered frames to 1.
F4LL0UT: I'm not OP but I have the same issue. Tried the thing you described, sadly it had no effect, at least not a notable one.
Forcing vertical sync in the graphics control panel does not always work; there's an alternate way to do it listed in the Fixes To Common Problems sticky thread. It involves a third-party program, but it's a tiny one that runs in the system tray. It works for me.