It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Saleck: Who here uses Raptr? If you use Raptr, turn it off when running Shock and let me know what happens, both with the original Sshock.exe and the Patch provided in my pervious post. Thank you.
I don't use Raptr, but I tried turning other background processes off to see if it would help (i.e. TeamSpeak, MSI Afterburner, Asus AI Suite, RivaTuner, Serviio and Logitech Gaming Suite) but still no dice I'm afraid.

Thanks for continuing to come up with suggestions, much appreciated.
svatem1: but ofc, i do run lot of apps (that's what multitasking for) at the same time, i expect that to stay that way
I really don't want to lecture anyone but the fist thing you should try when fixing a bug is to turn off all unnecessary programs AND try to run the program alone. Every game developer will tell you this when you have a problem. So everybody who experiences problems should try first to run ONLY this program and the background tasks which he/she thinks are not to turn off. You really cannot expect that every game will run while other programs are still running in the background. Multi-tasking is a nice thing but it simply will not work with every program.
low rated
do not lecture anyone and pls do not deny/question the very basic principles on which os & apps are built today (like process isolation etc.), it looks stupid; very obviously this particular app requires tons of babysitting (avast was solution for somebody, raptr for somebody else, ini shuffling for somebody else.. etc.) to not to run badly and it is not common way of doing things.. if it was, you'd end up buying separate computer for each game/app..

svatem1: but ofc, i do run lot of apps (that's what multitasking for) at the same time, i expect that to stay that way
MarkoH01: I really don't want to lecture anyone but the fist thing you should try when fixing a bug is to turn off all unnecessary programs AND try to run the program alone. Every game developer will tell you this when you have a problem. So everybody who experiences problems should try first to run ONLY this program and the background tasks which he/she thinks are not to turn off. You really cannot expect that every game will run while other programs are still running in the background. Multi-tasking is a nice thing but it simply will not work with every program.
Post edited September 24, 2015 by svatem1
Shutting down Raptr fixed hardware rendering for me. SS1 in 720p widescreen at a decent frame rate? Yes please.

Thanks to everyone who had good suggestions.
svatem1: do not lecture anyone and pls do not deny/question the very basic principles on which os & apps are built today (like process isolation etc.), it looks stupid; very obviously this particular app requires tons of babysitting (avast was solution for somebody, raptr for somebody else, ini shuffling for somebody else.. etc.) to not to run badly and it is not common way of doing things.. if it was, you'd end up buying separate computer for each game/app..
You really don't know much about how programs work or what you can expect from them, do you? I can show you countless games which will not run correct while running other tasks (even a browser can be too much). This is a game which originates in the DOS area. There was no multi-tasking then and especially memory mapping was totally different. It is an old game made fit to run on newer systems but it still remains an old game which means it has to be treated a bit different then the way you might know it from other newer games. You will always have to make some compromises when running such old games and if turning of your browser or mp3 player or other unnecessary things this should not be a problem. But as I already said, you are rude and not open to valid arguments. Well, if you don't want to follow helpful advices maybe some other people will help what I've said.
Post edited September 24, 2015 by MarkoH01
I've found the game will crash regularly for me in hardware mode (is this opengl or D3d?) with resolutions > 1024x768 and aspect ratios different from 4:3. 1920x1200 was initially running well but then always crashes at some point (locks up); what seems to run best for me with very little IQ degradation is software mode @ 1600x1200.
ofc have tried that previously, no change

waltc: I've found the game will crash regularly for me in hardware mode (is this opengl or D3d?) with resolutions > 1024x768 and aspect ratios different from 4:3. 1920x1200 was initially running well but then always crashes at some point (locks up); what seems to run best for me with very little IQ degradation is software mode @ 1600x1200.
Saleck: We've found a possible fix (Thanks Glowhyena for working with me on this)

The sshock.ini that was shipped has this setting inside it:

; Custom screen resolution
; Select the width, height and aspect
; Aspect should be set to zero for automatic calculation
; For manual aspect, set its value using the formula Height / Width * 65536
; WARNING: Resolutions higher than 1024x768 may crash the system
CustomWidth=854
CustomHeight=480
CustomAspect=0

Change this to read:

; Custom screen resolution
; Select the width, height and aspect
; Aspect should be set to zero for automatic calculation
; For manual aspect, set its value using the formula Height / Width * 65536
; WARNING: Resolutions higher than 1024x768 may crash the system
CustomWidth=1024
CustomHeight=768
CustomAspect=0

All test so far are showing this is fixing the problem on affected machines.

Edit:

Also use VideoMode=6 instead of VideoMode=5

Edit 2:

Also found that just changing VideoMode to 6 should fix the crashing regardless of your CustomHeight and CustomWidth values.
Thanks, this solution seems to work for me, played for about an hour just now :)
Closing Raptr fixed it for me.
how?

MarkoH01: Well, if you don't want to follow helpful advices maybe some other people will help what I've said.
svatem1: how?

MarkoH01: Well, if you don't want to follow helpful advices maybe some other people will help what I've said.
svatem1:
As I said: turning off any other programs and testing again. If this should work for you what would you lose?
low rated
time

and it wouldn't work for me, because i don't have any programs running that i do not run intentionally..

i've also paid gog to do this for me (prior announcing it as ready for sale), easy logic
Post edited September 24, 2015 by svatem1
Disabling raptr did it for me (software render on or off didn't matter). Seems to run perfectly.

Such a simple fix that I never would have thought to do...
I'm on Windows 7 64bit and I normally run 1920x1080,
I seem to crash basically every time I get past the intro, and click new game.
I believe I tried installing the In works patch and nothing seems to have changed.I will be trying the config edit that was posted by Saleck however, and a few more and possibly posting if things improve.

EDIT: Odd, I uninstalled it and ran it again, and everything ran absolutely fine until I tried to open up the keypad to leave the medical area. Then immediately the game crashed as it had earlier. Keep in mind, I did not run any of the fixes yet, I had reinstalled the game to see if there was anything about my crash that I could note here.
Apparently it's been running on my desktop resolution which could be what's been causing problems.

EDIT2 (After Attempted .ini fix):
I changed my Custom Height and Width settings and changed VideoMode=5 to Videomode=6. Now all of a sudden it seems to be crashing back on New Game again. I have Raptr running, but it has no reason to be touching the game at all, but I'll try anyway. I also turned Software Render on, but that on and off didn't change much.

EDIT 3(After Disabling Raptr): Wow, apparently it did do something. I turned software renderer off, and quit out of the Raptr program and it seemed to work. I got something like a half second freeze or hang when interacting with the keypad or attacking a mutant but things seemed to run okay otherwise.

So PSA: IF you have Raptr installed, turn it off.
Post edited September 25, 2015 by BloodForever
DakotaBob: Thanks, this solution seems to work for me, played for about an hour just now :)
Yes, It seems that hardware-accelerated 1024x768 is the resolution at which the game should be played...I've experimented with a lot of resolutions and this one seems rock solid--been playing for the last two hours without a single crash. I don't think it matters whether you select "5" (the preset for 1024x768) or whether you select "6" and write the resolution in there--it's the "1024x768" that counts...;) I've been playing with "5" and it's solid. Every other res > 1024x768, even in software mode, would crash for me at some time during play, except 1024x768 (or lower, I'd guess.)