It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Please tell me there is a mod to disable enemy respawns?

I have the feeling I can reeeeeeally enjoy this game. I really do.

My brain is incapable, however, of suspending disbelief over the magically respawning enemies. My first enemy encounter ruined it for me. I literally stood in the same spot and fought 15 enemies in a row before dying. It RUINS the immersion... RUINS it!

Anybody know of anything to help me, or is this game just not for me?
That's odd. I've never heard of them respawning that quickly before.
Post edited February 16, 2013 by mkell_226
Respawn frequency is sometimes a bit too high. I wouldn't mind hybrid or a monkey respawn here and there but this happens pretty much every single time you leave some area for 10 seconds and that indeed becomes annoying.
There is a setting to completelly disable respawning but i'm not aware of any where you could just decrease the rate.
I never had this happen even though I've restarted the game many times while testing different things. You either encountered a bug or triggered a camera alarm. Probably the former since there are no cameras at that exact point (unless you actually advanced through that corridor and turned left, or went immediately right twice, there are cameras at both those locations). Tough luck. Bugs can happen, just restart the game and save often, there should only be two enemies at that one corridor and no respawns for quite a long while, enough to explore that whole area (and kill other enemies in different parts and loot everything and find the key items etc). Since you'll be backtracking often in the game re-spawning enemies help make that aspect tense, otherwise you'd spend a lot of walking time alone.
Post edited February 16, 2013 by Al3xand3r
Yeah, tweaking the rate would be a much better solution than just disabling it; the game would become too easy and lose a fair amount of tension.
mkell_226: That's odd. I've never heard of them respawning that quickly before.
It was LITERALLY the FIRST enemy encounter I had, and the only weapon I had was the wrench. 2 spawned initially, and I took them out (at a significant health loss, lol). Once I killed them, I attempted to collect my thoughts, and formulate a plan to get out of the room when BAM, another two magically spawned in... After barely surviving the second encounter, I healed and was immediately met with 2 more. It was then when I realized there were going to be endless respawns, so I managed (through luck, not skill) to fend off several more waves, unsuccessfully...

Once I died, I exited and created this thread. I refuse to resume play knowing that the game has cheap mechanics like respawning enemies... That's just a little too old school (in a bad way) for my taste.
I agree. Enemies randomly showing up all over the map even though you've killed all of them in that area. It's really annoying.
rejzor: Respawn frequency is sometimes a bit too high. I wouldn't mind hybrid or a monkey respawn here and there but this happens pretty much every single time you leave some area for 10 seconds and that indeed becomes annoying.
There is a setting to completelly disable respawning but i'm not aware of any where you could just decrease the rate.
Agreed... There are (precious) few times in games where respawning enemies are ok ("Boss fights" spring to mind). I wouldn't mind those times, but on the FIRST encounter? That's just ridiculous...

EDIT: accidentally a word...
Post edited February 16, 2013 by monsterZERO
Yeah, these respawns bugged me to, when I played the game few years back I used "Zygoptera respawn mod" but I have no idea if it is compatible with newest mods:

http://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=81.0
uhm, are you sure you guys arent triggering the alarms. That is the only time i have seen them keep coming over and over.
Catlin11: uhm, are you sure you guys arent triggering the alarms. That is the only time i have seen them keep coming over and over.
That's totally different. Enemies do respawn or more enemies show up in areas that you've already been through after you've left them.
Catlin11: uhm, are you sure you guys arent triggering the alarms. That is the only time i have seen them keep coming over and over.
Good point, but regardless, even when alarms ARE triggered, where are all these enemies coming from?

Alarms or not, I cannot accept an infinite supply of respawning enemies as fact, which in turn, RUINS the immersion for me...

Where are all these enemies coming from? I mean, the damn ship only had so many crewmembers to begin with...

Maybe this game just isn't for me... Maybe I'm spoiled by modern games, who have their flaws no doubt, but at least don't include endlessly respawning enemies as a game mechanic to increase difficulty...

EDIT: Once again, accidentally a word... I do that often ;)
Post edited February 16, 2013 by monsterZERO
Yeah, outside of boss battles, the only time enemies constantly respawn and home in on your position is when a security alert is in progress. Otherwise, killed enemies are gradually respawned at random locations in the current map, and patrol randomly.
monsterZERO: Good point, but regardless, even when alarms ARE triggered, where are all these enemies coming from?

Alarms or not, I cannot accept an infinite supply of respawning enemies as fact, which in turn, RUINS the immersion for me...

Where are all these enemies coming from? I mean, the damn ship only had so many crewmembers to begin with...

Maybe this game just isn't for me... Maybe I'm spoiled by modern games, who have their flaws no doubt, but at least don't include endlessly respawning enemies as a game mechanic to increase difficulty...

EDIT: Once again, accidentally a word... I do that often ;)
They're not infinite, they come as long as the alarm is active (you have a timer on your screen when that happens, also perhaps a skill to cancel alarms depending on your build), and they're being sent by, um, Xerxes at that point as far as you know? Something like that. Saying more about the hows and whys would go in spoiler territory probably, you get to find out more about the threat's nature as you play. Although I suppose just saying you're supposed to be on a gigantic ship with tons of staff, even if you don't personally go in every single room on your adventure, is okay. What would be the point of having alarms in the first place if there were no enemy reinforcements coupled with them? To lure nearby enemies, deal with them (or avoid them altogether), then feel safe for as long as you're there?
Post edited February 16, 2013 by Al3xand3r
ZylonBane: Yeah, outside of boss battles, the only time enemies constantly respawn and home in on your position is when a security alert is in progress. Otherwise, killed enemies are gradually respawned at random locations in the current map, and patrol randomly.
Yeah, kinda like you're not the only one using the respawn ability of the clone faculties...