It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

When playing the System Shock demo for a few minutes the monitor will lose signal and display a black screen. A stuttering sound can be heard in the background on loop and the only way to recover from this crash is a hard reset of the computer. Upon restarting the computer and checking event viewer a log of the crash can be seen.

EventID: 4101
Source: Display
Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

I used to get the black screen crash on many other directx11 games (never had it on directx9 games), such as GTA5, Rainbow Six Siege, Satellite Reign, Unreal Tournament (the new one). However ever since a new driver released around April, at least for me, crashes in those games seem to be fixed as I have never encountered them again. System Shock is currently the only game I know of that still suffers from the same problem. I also get the same black screen issue with the Dolphin 5.0 emulator running with DX12 renderer and when playing movies in Media Player Classic using the MadVR renderer. Also graphics settings, resolution, windowed or fullscreen, refresh rate, FreeSync, tesselation, monitor, cable and port type, etc, does not matter as different combinations do not resolve the issue. Problem is a driver issue as it has been fixed in the past for other games.

My specs:
Core i7 6700k (stock, never been overclocked)
Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 (2x8GB)
Asus Maximus VIII Hero (BIOS 1701, current latest)
Seasonic XP-860 Platinum 860W Power Supply V2
Sapphire Radeon R9 380 Nitro Dual-X 4GB (stock, never been overclocked)
using Crimson 16.7.2 WHQL (shows as 16.7.3 in Radeon Settings Overview, installed after using DDU 16.1.0.1 in safe mode, Gaming Evolved NOT installed)
Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Monitor (single monitor tested individually, crashes occur on either):
Benq XL2730Z using DisplayPort (2560x1440, 144hz, FreeSync)
Benq V2400W using DVI (1920x1200, 60hz, non-FreeSync)
Yeah that's happening to me as well. My card is Graphics Chipset
AMD Radeon (TM) R9 380 Series.
Rolandknight: Yeah that's happening to me as well. My card is Graphics Chipset
AMD Radeon (TM) R9 380 Series.
Crimson driver 16.7.3 is an improvement for me.

The System Shock demo still crashes. However, instead of getting the usual no signal black screen crash, now the game just crashes and I can continue using Windows without a hard reset.

Same thing for Media Player Classic with madVR renderer. I still get a crash, but now I am able to alt-f4 to close the crashed Media Player Classic and continue using windows without a hard reset.

Dolphin 5.0 emulator now seems to work without crashing using the DX12 renderer.

Not sure if the crashes are a problem with the applications or display drivers, but I'm glad now the crashes don't stall the entire system.
Post edited July 30, 2016 by getlogan