It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Azrapse: External windows?
scotsdezmond: I assume this means that aside from the normal viewport, you could spawn separate windows dedicated to the message log, map, etc. (essentially the same side displays that are in the existing cockpit design)? Such a design would work better for the more sim-oriented setups, but for those using multi monitors horizontally to give an ultrawide display, I would imagine that simply having a wider FOV than normal that spans across all of the monitors would be more immersive.

I tend to just use a single monitor, but I do have a spare secondary monitor that I might be able to connect up for testing, if I can find the right cables.
What he said. Using multiple windows apart from the main simulator gives the responsability of placing them to the user, who is also who better knows the monitor layout.
Inconvenience is you'll need to run in borderless windowed mode, so that mode must be supported.
Post edited July 19, 2017 by kumonko
To add my own preference to the mix, I've never hankered for games to make use of both my monitors. Indeed, I like to have the second displaying my mail and messages while I play, so that I know what's a valid interruption at a quick glance.

That's not to say I wouldn't try alternatives for X-Wing.
scotsdezmond: I assume this means that aside from the normal viewport, you could spawn separate windows dedicated to the message log, map, etc. (essentially the same side displays that are in the existing cockpit design)? Such a design would work better for the more sim-oriented setups, but for those using multi monitors horizontally to give an ultrawide display, I would imagine that simply having a wider FOV than normal that spans across all of the monitors would be more immersive.

I tend to just use a single monitor, but I do have a spare secondary monitor that I might be able to connect up for testing, if I can find the right cables.
kumonko: What he said. Using multiple windows apart from the main simulator gives the responsability of placing them to the user, who is also who better knows the monitor layout.
Inconvenience is you'll need to run in borderless windowed mode, so that mode must be supported.
I don't think the Unity engine supports multiple windows. This is not Gimp.
Besides, that doesn't seem to simplify at all the user configuration, since we would still need to let the user orient and size the cameras that render those windows. If the user wants a window to render only the Map instrument, he still needs to move the camera in front and close to the map instrument, right?
So we are like at the beginning.
I guess the quickest-dirtiest thing would be to allow for windowed mode and custom FOV. I will leave the multidisplay configuration for later on.
If your referring to the display monitors in the cockpit, please don't get rid of that. I love that new feature. All I was asking at some point if it would of been capible of expanding the view with multi monitor display or wide view monitors for a more surround realism affect. Sorry if I caused any confusion.
Post edited July 20, 2017 by rkinkjr
rkinkjr: If your referring to the display monitors in the cockpit, please don't get rid of that. I love that new feature. All I was asking at some point if it would of been capible of expanding the view with multi monitor display or wide view monitors for a more surround realism affect. Sorry if I caused any confusion.
No, for display I meant the player's physical monitors connected to his computer.
You can have up to 8 monitors, and each of them can have zero or more cameras assigned to render their contents. But since every player would have a slightly different setup, the game would need to let the player select position, rotation, resolution, FOV and refresh rate for each monitor, or alternatively allow to play in window mode at a ultrawide resolution that covers the entire desktop.
Any new ISD shots?
Nvm, I just saw the newest video and saw the ISD in the background. I nearly cried. This game looks so beautiful.
Post edited July 22, 2017 by rkinkjr
rkinkjr: Any new ISD shots?
Nvm, I just saw the newest video and saw the ISD in the background. I nearly cried. This game looks so beautiful.
Whereabouts is it?
JKing: Whereabouts is it?
Hello there, not sure if ther's a link but title is XWVM Rescue Sullustan Leader. by MajorParts. ISD is in the far background but looks really cool. Unfortunately he failed the mission.
JKing: Whereabouts is it?
XWVM Rescue Sullustan Leader. by MajorParts. ISD is far away but looks good from there. Unfortunately he/she failed the mission. That is the on one of the hardest to do missions list. Always crashing into the shuttles after you blow one up.
Unless his/her concern wasn't showing the mission completed but just wanted to show the progress
Post edited July 22, 2017 by rkinkjr
It does indeed looks cool!
The latest video does indeed look very cool - lots of very nice tweaks, changes and additions, and also good to see the new briefing system in action.

A quick update from me on the mission dialogue side of things, since it's been a while:
Progress has been a bit slower going than I'd hoped due to a combination of real-life circumstances, plus my 1060 decided to stop working (the onboard memory gave up), so I had to search for my old card and dust it off before I could continue.

The first pass of the mission dialogue continues, at this point everything up to TOD5 M2 has been completed, except for the 6 bonus missions. So, in total, 88 missions have been written (plus generic and proving ground dialogue), leaving 26 missions to be completed for the first pass.

Once that's complete, we'll need to go through the dialogue from the beginning for a second pass, to refine everything - then, it should be ready for some wider feedback - before going on to organising recording.

Not that I'm trying to give myself more work, but I did have a thought of a new feature that we could introduce with the dialogue:

One of the concerns that's been brought up before is about how "chatty" some have felt the game to be, and if we go through and add mission-specific dialogue, that will only continue to be the case.
So, when writing the mission dialogue, I had the thought of assigning priority levels to each dialogue line. This way, we could implement a "chattiness" (better names welcome) slider, that would act as a filter and stop the lower-priority lines from being read. Similarly, the same slider could also reduce the frequency of the generic dialogue (could just add an appropriate dice roll e.g. 5/10, for each triggered event). What do you think?
Post edited July 23, 2017 by scotsdezmond
Nice idea, though personally I don't mind the "chattiness" at all, one of the things that bothered me with the Balance of Power campaign (and to a lesser extent the X-wing vs Tie Fighter single missions) was the absolute lack of voice acting for a lot of the lines which was abit jarring after playing the DOS CD-rom version of Tie Fighter.

Nice idea.

Though personally I don't mind the "chattiness" at all, if anything the lack of voiced lines in Balance of Power and some single missions in X-wng vs Tie Fighter bothered me a bit.
Post edited July 22, 2017 by Det_Bullock
scotsdezmond: Not that I'm trying to give myself more work, but I did have a thought of a new feature that we could introduce with the dialogue:

One of the concerns that's been brought up before is about how "chatty" some have felt the game to be, and if we go through and add mission-specific dialogue, that will only continue to be the case.
So, when writing the mission dialogue, I had the thought of assigning priority levels to each dialogue line. This way, we could implement a "chattiness" (better names welcome) slider, that would act as a filter and stop the lower-priority lines from being read. Similarly, the same slider could also reduce the frequency of the generic dialogue (could just add an appropriate dice roll e.g. 5/10, for each triggered event). What do you think?
I never really found the game too "chatty". After all, it has considerably less dialogue than TIE Fighter, which in turn has less than XvT and XWA. And in the movies, there's plenty of dialogue happening between pilots.
Oh no, sounds like more waiting and so eager to play. But I know this is a pretty heavy project. But it's looking real good so far.
My video wasn't to show off anything (progress, features or combat skill). It was only to try out the geforce experience recording feature with a new gfx card. Someone on the Facebook page requested a dogfight mission in english, so I picked the rescue mission.
The ISD in the video is not textured properly and just has 3dsmax's space panels texture slapped on it (sorry Terry)
Still looks really well done @majorparts. As for pilot conversation, that doesn't bother me to much. As mentioned above pilots did talk through out missions. Admirals updated missions through out battles as well. Might be neat to hear akbar or dodonna speak while u r flying a mission, if that could be done. Although I thought in xwa was to much talking, but I know it was a family based story campaign.