It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Hello!

I have been trying to play the X-Wing 1998 GOG version of the game choosing 3D Hardware as renderer and the game crashes as soon as it loads a mission.

Has anyone managed to make the game work with 3D Hardware?

I am using a nVidia card (drivers: 361.43) on a Windows 7 64 bit system.

Thanks!
high rated
Try this:
https://github.com/rdoeffinger/xwa_ddraw_d3d11/releases

The missing cursor can be fixed by launching the game with XWINGTIE.EXE and enabling "Use Software Cursor" in Advanced Options.
That worked!

Thanks a lot! I read about this solution before but I did not think it worked for me because I did not start the game via the XWINGTIE.EXE file.
Awesome! I had given up on 3D acceleration a long time ago (sketchy .dll file almost melted my video card...). I just decided to give it another go. This worked. I'm stoked, because these old Star Wars games are by far the best space shooters ever made. Very cool that there's a work around to get 3D acceleration on GOG Star Wars games.
Post edited January 07, 2018 by DennyPet
DennyPet: Awesome! I had given up on 3D acceleration a long time ago (sketchy .dll file almost melted my video card...). I just decided to give it another go. This worked. I'm stoked, because these old Star Wars games are by far the best space shooters ever made. Very cool that there's a work around to get 3D acceleration on GOG Star Wars games.
Running Windows 10 with all updates as of 2020-01-13 and an Nvidia 1070. Xwing 1998 and Tie Fighter 95 1998 works superb in 3D! Fantastik!!! I havent played these games since I bought a RIVA Direct 3d graphics in 1998, because of these games :)

Thanks a lot for the effort thats been put into making these enjoyable again!

I did notice that for X-win 1998 i had to start the game without applying the rdoeffinger patch at least one time, otherwise the game would never load, so after install start the game with software renderer only. After that applying the patch worked a treat.
Four years later, and this is still a huge help; thanks very much!
DennyPet: Awesome! I had given up on 3D acceleration a long time ago (sketchy .dll file almost melted my video card...). I just decided to give it another go. This worked. I'm stoked, because these old Star Wars games are by far the best space shooters ever made. Very cool that there's a work around to get 3D acceleration on GOG Star Wars games.
IMy game crashes on 3d acceleration. I can't piece together how you all fixed this. Can you explain?
You need the implementation of ddraw.dll using Direct3D 11, originally created by Jeremy Ansel as part of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade project.
Reimar Döffinger's fork of the ddraw implementation (the link from the 2nd post by teleguy) extended the functionality to X-Wing 98, TIE Fighter 98 and XvT. It also introduced joystick emulation so that you can play with the mouse and keyboard (similar to the DOS version of the games).
Eleriel created a very good guide on how to get all the games up and running with everything you need.
Post edited October 23, 2020 by Pvt_Bloody
6 years later. It works properly. Thx.