The rules are simple: 1) Don`t post thanking for it. Thanks are implied. 2) Only post if you`re going to add new tips and hints. 3) Try to not repeat hints posted by other posters.
These rules are only set to prevent people seeking proper hints of NEEDING to sort a bunch of cluter until they find something, so be nice.
*******************HINTS BEGIN HERE******************
- There`s an "Hold Position" command. Press H when selecting units and presto! Your archers won`t get out of their spot and get their idiotic selves killed.
- Also, you can prevent the camera from sticking to its silly fixation of pointing towards north in the strategic view. Just disable it at the options.
- You can also pause the game! Good luck with the game telling you that. It`s P, by the way.
- Think of synergies. They're not always obvious and sometimes a magic school might help your warrior in unexpected ways, as well as fighting training for a mage. If you're going necromancy, for instance, it may pay off to invest in heavy arms training, as its group buffs will help out the minion-heavy school.
- Clear the base. Simple really, but most don't realise the enemies don't start attacking until you clain the altar, so clearing up beforehand with your avatar is a good investment into a less eventful base planing.
- Keep in mind map limitations. If you don't see any aria, don't go believing you can just advance head on with humans without clerics. If you're with elves, concentrate on wood gathering and keep in mind what units you can and can't properly use, as the metal handicap sets them back a bit for their best units. With dark elves, remember to send in your free cannon fodder first, because your units are expensive. If you're stuck with Trolls, you must try to keep advancing so you can actually gather those essential corpses.
- Auras cost mana! No, not in the upkeep. EACH creature affected by your aura will cost you mana. So yeah, that's not a hidden mentalist eating away your precious blue bar. So don't use the white auras when you're with your army.
- Upkeep from diferent levels of spells vary in funny ways. So don't give up on skeletons just because they cost 2 mana each by level 2, at level 3 they go back at 1 (but stay just as powerful as level 2).
- The elemental magics have proper diferentiation. Ice momentarily freeze enemies, fire does continual fire damage after the effect and earth does more damage on less armored enemies. So stay sharp as an elementalist.
- Some permanent spells don't have upkeep. Raise dead, for instance, don't keep costing you mana for the enemies you raise.
- Dwarf units gain levels!
- Different merchants buys you junk at different prices. So it pays off quite a bit to research and see which ones pay the most. Keeping an item just for merchant survay is easier than checking again every time you meet a new merchant. Just remember the cost!