It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Here is how to make the game work in widescreen and 1920x1080

Step 1:
Get a free hex editor like HxD from
https://mh-nexus.de/en/hxd/
Scroll down to the bottom of the download page and get the English portable version.
Direct download: [url=ftp://wa651f2:anonymous@mh-nexus.de/HxDen.zip]ftp://wa651f2:anonymous@mh-nexus.de/HxDen.zip[/url]

Step 2:
Make a copy (backup) of SC3U.exe just in case you mess up.

Step 3:
Start up HxD and open SC3U.exe
Press CONTROL-F to search for the following byte sequence as seen in attached image (select datatype: hex-values)
8b 4c 24 04 8b 44 24 08 53
It should now highlight them.

Select the first four bytes and overwrite it with:
c2 08 00 90
So it should now say something like:
c2 08 00 90 8b 44 24 08 53

If you get a message with a warning that your edit will change the file size, you have done it incorrectly. You're only supposed to replace the four bytes.

Step 4:
Then repeat the last step and do the same thing but search for the byte sequence:
8b 4c 24 04 8b 54 24 08 81 f9
Select the first four and overwrite them with:
c2 08 00 90
So it should now say:
c2 08 00 90 8b 54 24 08 81 f9

The bytes you replaced should now be red as seen in the second attached image.
Save the file and run and you should now be able to select all your monitor resolutions including 1920x1080!

Playing in 1920x1080 screenshot example.

Best Regards :)
Attachments:
Post edited March 12, 2017 by nirklars1
If you got this information from WSGF or Pc Gaming WIki first (because so did I), you might want to credit them.
:)
Or you can use this patcher which seems to work very well:
https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-SimCity-3000-Resolution-Patcher
nirklars1: Here is how to make the game work in widescreen and 1920x1080

Step 1:
Scroll down to the bottom of the download page and get the English portable version.
Direct download: [url=ftp://wa651f2:anonymous@mh-nexus.de/HxDen.zip]ftp://wa651f2:anonymous@mh-nexus.de/HxDen.zip[/url]

Step 2:

Step 3:
Press CONTROL-F to search for the following byte sequence as seen in attached image (select datatype: hex-values)

c2 08 00 90

If you get a message with a warning that your edit will change the file size, you have done it incorrectly. You're only supposed to replace the four bytes.

Step 4:
Then repeat the last step and do the same thing but search for the byte sequence:
c2 08 00 90
So it should now say:

Save the file and run and you should now be able to select all your monitor resolutions including 1920x1080!

I was wanting to make a small program to do the job in the Simcity 3000 Unlimited for Linux. But I´m almost certain that the hexadecimal sequence in which the software stores info about the resolution will probably be different. Do you know
what would be the best pattern to look for ?
The HxDen fix appears to work for me fine until I use my right click/drag to move around the map; instantly crashes the game... happening to anyone else?

For the record I'm using win10 @ 1366x768, which is my desktop resolution.
theirishcreme: The HxDen fix appears to work for me fine until I use my right click/drag to move around the map; instantly crashes the game... happening to anyone else?

For the record I'm using win10 @ 1366x768, which is my desktop resolution.
Why not use the resolution patcher posted above by Matewis? That method worked perfectly for me and it's a much faster and easier method. I've not experienced any crashing either.

Edit: Your resolution is what is causing the game to crash. Your resolution needs to be divisible by 8 according to the sc3k patcher readme.
Post edited December 15, 2017 by fall3nelite
When I read the description of the patch, it mentioned crashes are common. I'm going to try the hex again but change my resolution and see if that works.

It's not really that big an issue for me overall. Strangely, when I play certain older games in widescreen, I miss 4:3. This is one of those occasions.
nirklars1: Here is how to make the game work in widescreen and 1920x1080

Step 1:

Step 2:

Step 3:

c2 08 00 90

Step 4:
c2 08 00 90
So it should now say:

For people who are too lazy to follow all those steps I just made a python script that automatically patches the Simcity 3000 executable to allow you to run it in HD resolutions,

The script can be found here
I'm running this on Mac through Porting Kit. Anyway this will work for me or will the same instructions work? Thanks!
Post edited September 29, 2018 by Sliime4life
Matewis: Or you can use this patcher which seems to work very well:
unfortunately, this seems to do bugger all. :(

on with the manual labour I suppose.
fall3nelite: Edit: Your resolution is what is causing the game to crash. Your resolution needs to be divisible by 8 according to the sc3k patcher readme.
AH! this would be my issue as well then. ta!

Edit: actually I had no crash at all - the patcher just did absolutely nothing - even at a more amiable desktop resolution.
Post edited March 26, 2019 by Sachys
ToasterBox: For people who are too lazy to follow all those steps I just made a...
firstly, you should be linking to this page: https://tetration.github.io/Simcity3000_Modding_Revival/scu3HD_patch.html
- as its much easier to deal with that than github for the less tech-minded.

secondly, your patch appears to do nothing - whether thats your instructions being poor, or the script, I do not know. but following them 100% to the letter results in a black "command line" window flashing up for half a second (at least on windows 10) without any change within the game.
Post edited April 03, 2019 by Sachys
Matewis: Or you can use this patcher which seems to work very well:
Sachys: unfortunately, this seems to do bugger all. :(

on with the manual labour I suppose.
fall3nelite: Edit: Your resolution is what is causing the game to crash. Your resolution needs to be divisible by 8 according to the sc3k patcher readme.
Sachys: AH! this would be my issue as well then. ta!

Edit: actually I had no crash at all - the patcher just did absolutely nothing - even at a more amiable desktop resolution.
The first patcher from monitortests.com still works fine for me, and has been since release. I just tried it to made sure and it worked fine on 1440p after letting SC3000 update on Galaxy. (to make sure I had a fresh .exe). Just setting a different desktop res. before patching should add that resolution as another option to the patched .exe. I've added a folder and renamed the files to SC3U_1440p.exe and SC3U_1080p.exe so I remember what file has what resolution. Just swap the .exe in the main folder (and remove the addition) when you want to play another resolution instead.

Anybody using the patched .exe, do make a habit to just hit save every so often. It tends to crash to desktop without warning once in a while. Even if its not one of the 'bad' resolutions. Kind of sucks if you've been playing for an hour without a save and it happens, and since its not that frequent it might slip your mind.
Post edited March 26, 2019 by Evixios
Evixios: Just setting a different desktop res. before patching should add that resolution as another option to the patched .exe
thanks, but ive seriously got nothing going on here - i did try several new desktop resolutions. is there perhaps something im missing?
Evixios: Just setting a different desktop res. before patching should add that resolution as another option to the patched .exe
Sachys: thanks, but ive seriously got nothing going on here - i did try several new desktop resolutions. is there perhaps something im missing?
I think I found out what is going on, after you change your resolution to any other resolution you need to log out of windows first. I thought It was a bug when I tested it earlier but it seems to be the case all the time.

Basically, if you dont log out of windows (or reset your pc), the patcher simply doesn't do anything. (But it shows it as patched, since it prompts to restore the .exe when you run the patcher again). Just log out of windows and it should then patch the desktop resolution that you've currently have set. At least I've tried some configurations here and they all seem to work by just logging in again.

As long as the patcher says it found the GOG version it should patch as intended. Hopefully it works for you now.
Post edited March 26, 2019 by Evixios
Sachys: thanks, but ive seriously got nothing going on here - i did try several new desktop resolutions. is there perhaps something im missing?
Evixios: I think I found out what is going on, after you change your resolution to any other resolution you need to log out of windows first. I thought It was a bug when I tested it earlier but it seems to be the case all the time.

Basically, if you dont log out of windows (or reset your pc), the patcher simply doesn't do anything. (But it shows it as patched, since it prompts to restore the .exe when you run the patcher again). Just log out of windows and it should then patch the desktop resolution that you've currently have set. At least I've tried some configurations here and they all seem to work by just logging in again.

As long as the patcher says it found the GOG version it should patch as intended. Hopefully it works for you now.
thanks, ill give that a go tomorrow (late here) and let you know how it goes. much appreciate the assistance either way.