It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Guys for anyone who owns an original copy of Simcity 3000 Linux Edition or Sim City 3000 Unlimited Linux Edition.
I made a small python 2.7 script that does all the steps to install in modern Linux computers and also installs the OSSPD audio compatibility files to make simcity audio work in linux. All you have to do is put your SimCity3000 iso in the same folder of my script or insert the cd on your machine and then launch my script by typing in the terminal python nameofthescript.py
If anyone wants to check it out

https://github.com/tetration/Simcity_3000_Linux_Installer
I'm interested to play native SimCity 3000, but probably must play Windows version, but that's no reason I wrote this post. I'm programmer and I take a fast look onto installation script and detect one thing, which could be better. Simple add:

#!/usr/bin/env python

On top of your script, so users could give execution right and double click on script to run it.
lachu5: I'm interested to play native SimCity 3000, but probably must play Windows version, but that's no reason I wrote this post. I'm programmer and I take a fast look onto installation script and detect one thing, which could be better. Simple add:

#!/usr/bin/env python

On top of your script, so users could give execution right and double click on script to run it.
Thanks for the tip lachu5. I will update my github repository to add this command. I´m still fairly new to programming in Python. I usually write Java, C or C++ programs for my job and college assignments. Anyways I appreciate your help!
Post edited April 22, 2017 by ToasterBox
Whats the difference in licenses for users between SC3000 from EA/Maxis and from Loki? As I see it, Maxis/EA sublicensed the game to Loki - the only difference for user are binaries.
Yet those binaries are based on original Maxis/EA and were not written from scratch - hence those are officially sublicensed derivative work, like a "patch", because it introduced no new content - but instead compatibility, ability for same code and data to run on different OS.

Does a user of original work require a license to apply and use a patch? He/she doesn't. Is there someone holding official Loki assets to disagree with my claim?..
Lin545: Whats the difference in licenses for users between SC3000 from EA/Maxis and from Loki? As I see it, Maxis/EA sublicensed the game to Loki - the only difference for user are binaries.
Yet those binaries are based on original Maxis/EA and were not written from scratch - hence those are officially sublicensed derivative work, like a "patch", because it introduced no new content - but instead compatibility, ability for same code and data to run on different OS.
The port itself is, in a way, Loki's property, but the game that was ported is Maxis'/EA's property.

Lin545: Does a user of original work require a license to apply and use a patch? He/she doesn't. Is there someone holding official Loki assets to disagree with my claim?..
Loki's Wikipedia page mentions reclaiming rights to Linux ports instead of those rights being with clients from the beginning, the way I see it. Plus, never underestimate the level of EA's bureaucracy.
Lin545: Whats the difference in licenses for users between SC3000 from EA/Maxis and from Loki? As I see it, Maxis/EA sublicensed the game to Loki - the only difference for user are binaries.
Plokite_Wolf: The port itself is, in a way, Loki's property, but the game that was ported is Maxis'/EA's property.

Lin545: Does a user of original work require a license to apply and use a patch? He/she doesn't. Is there someone holding official Loki assets to disagree with my claim?..
Plokite_Wolf: Loki's Wikipedia page mentions reclaiming rights to Linux ports instead of those rights being with clients from the beginning, the way I see it. Plus, never underestimate the level of EA's bureaucracy.
How do we know that those binaries of the Linux version were not written from scratch? If you take the time to just compare the files included in both versions (not even trying to disassemble them), the differences are apparent and that's to be expected. The Windows-version makes use of DirectX for example, while the Linux port can not. I would assume that there is enough original work of Loki in the Linux port that Loki could rightfully claim rights to the port -- not the game assets themselves, that's true.

But that is largely irrelevant , because in order to sell the game you'd need permission from the copyright holder. And who might that be? EA apparently isn't because if they were we'd get a different answer from gog (remember that further up linuxvangog replied to my initial question).

There are a few examples where the rights to the Loki ports have been bought by another company. So far this doesn't seem to be the case for Loki's Sim City 3000 port. Also (to Lin545 again): The user may possibly apply any patches they want as long as they do that only for their own personal use. But if you're trying to sell a game you will need the authorisation of the owner of the rights to the port. (see above) What can we expect? That gog.com gets a copy of Sim City 3000 for Linux, applies a patch and sells it without asking the copyright holder? And will that go down well, do we think? The Linux port isn't just a patch. My guess is: it's a full rewrite of the game engine.

I'm not defending any side. That's just the way it goes with commercial software licenses.

(Edit: corrections)
Post edited June 01, 2017 by JimPhelps
I know this may just be necroing, but I need to voice my concerns.

I managed to get SC3KU from the sale earlier today. I installed it using Lutris (apparently PlayOnLinux is dead? Doesn't seem to have been updated in aeons). The opening cutscene is not playing.

Edit: After attempting to start a new city, the game crashes. There is music, but only a black screen. I'm using Proton 4.2 as my runtime with DXVK enabled.

I would like to point out that Sam Lantinga is co-founder of Loki. He is also still active in the development of SDL. Sam is most likely the man to talk to. On that note, I'd think the Linux port of SC3UK would use SDL and SMPEG heavily, the former still actively developed by Sam.
Post edited December 31, 2019 by RAMChYLD
RAMChYLD: Edit: After attempting to start a new city, the game crashes. There is music, but only a black screen. I'm using Proton 4.2 as my runtime with DXVK enabled.
Why not try using vanilla wine (without proton, without dxvk) and no dll overrides? The game might work better there. If you have system-wide wine installed, all you need is to right-click on the exe file to run the installer.

If that doesn't work, there is also codeweavers crossover which often works well when plain wine has problems (and vice versa). It is not free, but there is a downloadable trial version.
igrok: Why not try using vanilla wine (without proton, without dxvk) and no dll overrides? The game might work better there. If you have system-wide wine installed, all you need is to right-click on the exe file to run the installer.

If that doesn't work, there is also codeweavers crossover which often works well when plain wine has problems (and vice versa). It is not free, but there is a downloadable trial version.
Well, update: managed to get it to work after much trial and error, it turns out that the key is that I had to run it in a virtual desktop. But yeah, the reason for using proton over vanilla wine is due to performance- I've already run several games on proton and because they could use hardware acceleration from the GPU, they performed exponentially better than vanilla WINE.
(Linux - Wine) Use my guide to get the game running using DxWnd.
DxWnd has a built-in framerate limiter that will mostly fix the main problem. And if you want you can follow the extra steps to make the UI/fonts look bigger on the screen.

https://www.gog.com/forum/simcity_series/fixed_these_problems_using_dxwnd_map_scrolling_speed_high_cpu_usage_small_textui/page1