It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Update

Melinmike solved the mystery as to why it wasn't working on the GOG version.

Also, apparently the GOG version's .exe files are no longer packed with Neolite meaning the hack should work.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16039l

I've done this a couple of times on the UK version of RCT, but it should work on the US version that GOG sells. Back up your .exe before you start editing it!

Someone should sticky this.

Ignore this now - ([i]EDIT: Sorry guys, can't work out how to make this work for the GOG version. The .exe in the GOG version is tiny (790kB) compared to any other versions I've encountered (the original .exe without any expansions is 3MB). The rest of the code must be somewhere, but I can't work out where.
[/i])
Post edited June 01, 2015 by SirPrimalform
Thanks for the tip ;)
I don't have the GOG version (yet?), so I can't test to see if it works.

I have had some luck resolution hacking games without a guide, so if the GOG version is different I might be able to work out how to hack it.
Im trying to find th two strings but when I search for those hex lines it says reached end of file. Anyway to find those strings without going through a couple thousand lines of code?
I also can't find it, not in the launcher nor in the rct.exe.
Seems like they had to change it.
Very mysterious... if and when I get it from GOG I'll have a look. It will definitely be possible to hack... after all, the values for the 3 resolutions in the options (640x480, 800x600 and 1024x768 IIRC) must be stored somewhere in the file.
Post edited July 07, 2011 by SirPrimalform
SirPrimalform: Very mysterious... if and when I get it from GOG I'll have a look. It will definitely be possible to hack... after all, the values for the 3 resolutions in the options (640x480, 800x600 and 1024x768 IIRC) must be stored somewhere in the file.
I'd be glad to help. I bought the GOG version. You could try hex editing a backup of my EXE over the Internet using a screen sharing program.
SirPrimalform: Very mysterious... if and when I get it from GOG I'll have a look. It will definitely be possible to hack... after all, the values for the 3 resolutions in the options (640x480, 800x600 and 1024x768 IIRC) must be stored somewhere in the file.
RainbowDash: I'd be glad to help. I bought the GOG version. You could try hex editing a backup of my EXE over the Internet using a screen sharing program.
I guess we could give that a go...
Put the game into windowed mode. You'll then be able to resize the window to fill your widescreen monitor. And as a bonus, it doesn't scale the display when doing this, it'll just show you more of the landscape.

This is how I got widescreen RCT1 on my sister's XP laptop some years ago (from retail discs) and it worked perfectly fine. No hex editing required.
korell: Put the game into windowed mode. You'll then be able to resize the window to fill your widescreen monitor. And as a bonus, it doesn't scale the display when doing this, it'll just show you more of the landscape.

This is how I got widescreen RCT1 on my sister's XP laptop some years ago (from retail discs) and it worked perfectly fine. No hex editing required.
Yeah, this does the same thing, but widescreen. Just an option for those who want it. Once I work out how to do if for the GOG version that is.
Yeah, found that widescreen fix earlier but couldn't find the string in the RCT1 Deluxe exe.
RainbowDash: I'd be glad to help. I bought the GOG version. You could try hex editing a backup of my EXE over the Internet using a screen sharing program.
Give me a PM if and when you want to give this a go. You'll have to let me know what sharing software you want to use as well.
DownWithTheShip: Yeah, found that widescreen fix earlier but couldn't find the string in the RCT1 Deluxe exe.
Yeah, it's likely that GOG's cracking of the game has slightly changed the context of the resolution values. They'll be in there somewhere though, I'm pretty certain of that.

I'll try and make a guide for resolution hacking the GOG version after I either 1) get the GOG version or 2) take part in a convoluted plan involving screen sharing software. =D
Post edited July 09, 2011 by SirPrimalform
Sorry guys, can't work out how to make this work for the GOG version. The .exe in the GOG version is tiny (790kB) compared to any other versions I've encountered (the original .exe without any expansions is 3MB). The rest of the code must be somewhere, but I can't work out where.
Any help from GOG? Since this should be their work, you know.

Edit: I've asked for their help, let's see what they say. I'll ask for a refund, if nothing happens.

SirPrimalform please correct the link you have in the first page, thx ;)
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16039

PS: resizing in windowed mode doesn't let me go widescreen
Post edited July 27, 2011 by Nilth
So has anyone made any progress here? I'd love to play this in a widescreen resolution.