It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

In order to get the music working (as i've discovered), you need to use a custom game engine. I would prefer Quakespasm as it gives the most vanilla OpenGL experience, with the added bonus of music.
Download here: http://quakespasm.sourceforge.net/

Step 1: Download DAEMON tools Lite 10 for free here: https://www.daemon-tools.cc/downloads

Step 2: Mount the "game", "gamea" and "gamed" files from the Quake folder, as CD-discs using DAEMON tools.
game = Quake music
gamea = Quake: Scourge of Armagon music
gamed = Quake: Dissolution of Eternity music

Step 3: Open "Windows Media Player" and select one of the three discs, check all the songs, and set the "Rip" type to
WAV, and then Rip the CD files. The songs will then be available in your Windows Library under Music.

Step 4: Go into the Quake folder, then "Id1" and create a folder called "music". Drop all of the ripped music files here,
and make the "game" disc songs are named "track02.wav --- track11.wav" (There are 10 tracks in "game",
rename them all from 02 to 11, (for some reason)).

Step 5: Open the "Quakespasm" download folder, and drag all of the files into the default Quake folder, overwrite if
asked. Now you are good to go!

OPTIONAL: The songs are kinda ruind with a feature called "Pre-Emphasis", which makes high pitched sounds in the
music even higher, slising your eardrums with a knife of sound (OUCH!). To fix this, you can either rip the
songs using iTunes instead of Windows Media Player, since "De-Emphasis" is an automatic feature here.
Or, follow the guide video here: https://youtu.be/eF4GSsffbSE?t=3m11s

Enjoy your game, if you were able to launch GLquake! (I can't :()
When mounting the disc in WinCDEmu, what type of disc should I say that the bin-cue files are? Data Discs?
RadiactoR: Step 1: Download DAEMON tools Lite 10 for free here: https://www.daemon-tools.cc/downloads
OPTIONAL: The songs are kinda ruind with a feature called "Pre-Emphasis", which makes high pitched sounds in the
music even higher, slising your eardrums with a knife of sound (OUCH!).
Isn’t DAEMON tools spyware or something now? Everything I see says to use WinCDEmu now instead.
Also, the Pre-Emphasis is an intentional stylistic decision. De-emphasizing the music makes it duller. (See the top comment on your linked video)
Post edited November 16, 2018 by SirYodaJedi
Hi everybody. I'm still not hearing any music when playing the game, even though I did everything that I was supposed to do. I ripped the music into *.wav format, renamed the songs track02-track11, placed them in id1/music (I'm using Quakespasm btw). But still: no music. However, when I open the Quake command terminal and type "music track[02-11]", the corresponding track plays. So I know the music is in the right location. So why isn't it automatically playing when I start the game?

Something else I noticed in the terminal: one of its messages says "No CD inserted in drive" during sound configuration. Is there something extra I need to configure, so that it reads the wav files I created? Also, I have "External Music" set to "True."
MartyD82: Hi everybody. I'm still not hearing any music when playing the game, even though I did everything that I was supposed to do. I ripped the music into *.wav format, renamed the songs track02-track11, placed them in id1/music (I'm using Quakespasm btw). But still: no music. However, when I open the Quake command terminal and type "music track[02-11]", the corresponding track plays. So I know the music is in the right location. So why isn't it automatically playing when I start the game?

Something else I noticed in the terminal: one of its messages says "No CD inserted in drive" during sound configuration. Is there something extra I need to configure, so that it reads the wav files I created? Also, I have "External Music" set to "True."
Hey, that's a strange one. External music ON, music volume all the way up and it doesn't play in original campaign? Try to toggle external music off, save it, then on again and same with the volume. Other than that I have no idea. I remember reading that quakespasm recognises flac, mp3 and ogg files. I would imagine wav being a nobrainer too, but never have tried it.

Also I remember that there are 2 builds of quakespasm being provided. One is based on SDL1.2 (quakespasm12.exe) and offers cd audio, while the newer one is based on SDL2 and has cd audio disabled (it reads that during quake initialisation), but has enabled support for xinput gamepads and some new features (quakespasm.exe). I'm using the latter SDL2 build in combo with ogg files and it works no problems as intended. Vanilla install of quake+quakespasm, no mods (some mods have their own music in pak files and they can interfere with the playback).
I know this is kind of old but how do we get the music from the game images?
1) Open .gog files in IsoBuster
2) In the left panel, select Session 1
3) In the right panel, select all tracks except track 1, right click on them and "Extract objects". You will get a bunch of WAV files.
4) Download a program named OggDropXPd
5) Drag and drop all WAV files onto OggDropXPd and it will produce a bunch of OGG files which you can use with QuakeSpasm and similar Quake port
Just realised I played the whole Ground Zero expansion without music. Noticed now that there wasn't any music in The Reckoning. I had the .ogg files in the Q2 folder, so the music played in Q2. But apperantly they have to be in the expansion folders aswell.

Wierd that PCGamingWiki don't mention this and it propably never will. Have tried adding info to another game, but like any other so called open wiki, it's closed for commoners to change.
Yamagi supports expansions' music as distributed in GOG version, you don't need to move files anywhere.
ELFswe: Just realised I played the whole Ground Zero expansion without music. Noticed now that there wasn't any music in The Reckoning. I had the .ogg files in the Q2 folder, so the music played in Q2. But apperantly they have to be in the expansion folders aswell.

Wierd that PCGamingWiki don't mention this and it propably never will. Have tried adding info to another game, but like any other so called open wiki, it's closed for commoners to change.
Yes, yamagi is a good port. Still all GOG Quake releases not have problems with music, no any problems at all.
For Quake 2 you must apply old 3.20 official patch - Q2 by GOG not fully patched (although exe and dll are from 3.20). Expansions not worked from GOG as is until you do that.
The whole Quake series just went on sale and I have just downloaded and ran into the same issue as everyone else....NO MUSIC!?!?!?

Resolution without third party programs such as quakespasm etc.

GOG removed/added two things to this game. To remove the music as requested they did without having to remove the game itself from their roster. They did still include the original soundtrack for the game and contrary to popular belief it can be extracted and replaced with the right tools and will to do so. I was as infuriated as the rest of you and thought well I want my money back for a game with no sound track but, i stayed vigilant and will solved this issue for all.

Step one: In your install directory C:\Program Files (x86)\GOG Galaxy\Games\Quake or whatever it is for you the File _winmm.dll must be changed to winmm.dll no underscore

Step two: In the same directory there is a folder call Id1 in this folder you MUST make a file using something like notepad++ or similar called tracklist.cfg easy enough to do just open notepad++. save the file as tracklist.cfg whatever you use just make sure it is saved as tracklist.cfg and saves the file as a .cfg file. below is the what you need in the file.

// track list configuration used by the QuakeForge engine
{
2 = "music/Track02.ogg";
3 = "music/Track03.ogg";
4 = "music/Track04.ogg";
5 = "music/Track05.ogg";
6 = "music/Track06.ogg";
7 = "music/Track07.ogg";
8 = "music/Track08.ogg";
9 = "music/Track09.ogg";
10 = "music/Track10.ogg";
11 = "music/Track11.ogg";
}

Step 3: create a folder in the same folder as Id1 called music.

Step 4: you need to extract the audio provided from the game.cue or game.gog file located in your quake install using a program like isobuster or similar to extract ten .wav files (you need track 02 - 11 the track one file is useless as it is just game data)

Step 4: Convert .wav files. I used VLC to do so. whatever method you choose to convert the .wav to .ogg is solely yours but VLC media player is quick easy and free (Also does a lot of other things just be careful because its not perfect some files may end up corrupted.)

Step 5: Copy converted files ( I copied both the .wav and .ogg) to the music folder that was provided in the original install path as well as the music folder you made in the Id1 folder.

Step 6: Launch Glquake.exe and enjoy

Notes: if your files are converted as "Track 02" etc they will not work make sure they are named as "track02" etc.

Remember guys DON'T BLAME GOG copyright is a b**ch and they work their hardest to give you everything DRM free.
Paczyk: Hi guys,

Unfortunately due to complicated legal issues we needed to remove the ogg music from the game. Instead we've added disk images into the build so that the DosBox version stays intact (as DosBox can mount CD images by itself). As for the Windows version, if you happen to have the game's CD you can just insert it and play the game with music.
What about Quake 2?
So much trouble to get the music playing which is so much of these games, if the solutions even work. Seems like nobody has to this day figured out how to actually play the music reliably... thanks everyone for sparing me a few euros I was about to spend during -80% sale.
Esrot7: So much trouble to get the music playing which is so much of these games, if the solutions even work. Seems like nobody has to this day figured out how to actually play the music reliably... thanks everyone for sparing me a few euros I was about to spend during -80% sale.
There is no removing (no updates at all - not for any Quake games not for installers and even not for Galaxy builds using old gen1 depots), GOG telling some nonsense. They just use more compatible with DosBox way - cue+bin disk image, that configured to be mounted automatically.
For WinQuake players should mount image manually. Told here many times, but - yep too much irrelevant info and too much source-ports info instead of "just two clicks way" to mount image.*

* Theoretically. Download and install normal mounting software (DT Lite up to v.4.x.x, Alcohol 120% actual version - but both now have metric-adw-\spy-wares, check installation directory to remove some lumiaSDK dll or similar). SPTD driver. And Microsoft try to broke SPTD driver even with fact it digitally signed and approved initially for Win10.

Build-in Win10 image tool - as i know - mount only .iso and .img format. Did it support cue+bin?

GOG like DosBox more than native Win-build. Exactly because Microsoft's screw backward compatibility and broke even more in Win10 updates (SPTD and many more). So just use dosbox-version link and you be good with music.

UPD: Btw GOG still remain _winmm.dll and MUSIC folderused for music in ogg format. You can grab it from game.cue image. To make it direct convert from .cda to .ogg use VLC Media Player.
Post edited August 17, 2021 by QWEEDDYZ
Esrot7: So much trouble to get the music playing which is so much of these games, if the solutions even work. Seems like nobody has to this day figured out how to actually play the music reliably... thanks everyone for sparing me a few euros I was about to spend during -80% sale.
I assure you my method works I tested it multiple ways a few days ago when I posted my method but I get you that want a sure fire way. Pretty simple really just go buy the original cd for about 10-130 right now off ebay depending on condition put in the cd launch the game and you will have the music on the gog version.
QWEEDDYZ: There is no removing (no updates at all - not for any Quake games not for installers and even not for Galaxy builds using old gen1 depots), GOG telling some nonsense. They just use more compatible with DosBox way - cue+bin disk image, that configured to be mounted automatically.
For WinQuake players should mount image manually. Told here many times, but - yep too much irrelevant info and too much source-ports info instead of "just two clicks way" to mount image.*

* Theoretically. Download and install normal mounting software (DT Lite up to v.4.x.x, Alcohol 120% actual version - but both now have metric-adw-\spy-wares, check installation directory to remove some lumiaSDK dll or similar). SPTD driver. And Microsoft try to broke SPTD driver even with fact it digitally signed and approved initially for Win10.

Build-in Win10 image tool - as i know - mount only .iso and .img format. Did it support cue+bin?

GOG like DosBox more than native Win-build. Exactly because Microsoft's screw backward compatibility and broke even more in Win10 updates (SPTD and many more). So just use dosbox-version link and you be good with music.

UPD: Btw GOG still remain _winmm.dll and MUSIC folderused for music in ogg format. You can grab it from game.cue image. To make it direct convert from .cda to .ogg use VLC Media Player.
Something like a free trial of power iso should work for windows 10
Built in win10 image tool does not work
Post edited August 17, 2021 by Dskittlz
Hey guys

So I quickly glanced at all of your comments, and I think I have found a easier solution to get the music working for both the Windows version and GL version of the games.

Basically, the game searches for the first DVD drive on your system, therefore the music does not immediately work after mounting the disc, since the quake disc is then the second DVD drive.

For example, I use daemon tools, so what I had to do:

- Open Disk Manager, can be done from my computer
- Scroll down the disc drives until you find your default DVD drive, then rename it to another available drive (I chose G).
- Rename your virtual drive to the letter the physical drive was, in my case (E:)

No the musics works and loops without problems.

EDIT: I play the Windows quake version in the folder, since it seems to have more sounds and better lighting/shading on the guns/enemies.

Kind regards
Post edited August 18, 2021 by HitBM47