It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

viperfdl: Sad that this happened but if one searches on the internet one can find the complete soundtrack.

@GOG
If this is illegal, I'll of course remove the link.
Unfortunately .. high quality music packs - "Dissolution of Eternity" and "Malice" are dead links,

Just saying.
Post edited August 29, 2015 by NoAGood
viperfdl: Sad that this happened but if one searches on the internet one can find the complete soundtrack.

@GOG
NoAGood: Unfortunately .. high quality music packs - "Dissolution of Eternity" and "Malice" are dead links,

Just saying.
Your not missing much.

The packs are simply the game music tracks - ripped to OGG (Vorbis) format and stuck in a ZIP file (extension renamed to pk3) under a certain folder structure.

Mainly for use with the DarkPlaces engine.

The tracks inside can be extracted with 7zip or similar.

There's other links in that thread, specifically here:
https://www.quaddicted.com/files/music/

Where you can get the music files - if anyone is unable to rip.
Post edited August 30, 2015 by mwnn
NoAGood: Unfortunately .. high quality music packs - "Dissolution of Eternity" and "Malice" are dead links,

Just saying.
mwnn: Your not missing much.

The packs are simply the game music tracks - ripped to OGG (Vorbis) format and stuck in a ZIP file (extension renamed to pk3) under a certain folder structure.

Mainly for use with the DarkPlaces engine.

The tracks inside can be extracted with 7zip or similar.

There's other links in that thread, specifically here:
https://www.quaddicted.com/files/music/

Where you can get the music files - if anyone is unable to rip.
Ahhh .. ok. Thank You!
Looks like something's wrong with the track divisions in the main game cue. The last two or so seconds of each track gets cut off and slapped onto the previous track. I burned it to a CD-R and it has the beginnings cut off in-game.
Edit: The Scourge cue is fine, Dissolution has the same problem though
Post edited September 01, 2015 by GoldSrcForever

@GOG
If the original CD has pre-emphasis set, then just about all rips of it on the web will not be de-emphasised properly, as most rippers have only recently learned how to handle the subcode. New rips are needed.
dwyloc: OK it look like gog have renamed winmm.dll to _winmm.dll

So if you want to re-enable playing back the music from .ogg files it would seem that you need to do the following.

1. Mount the CDIMAGE game.gog with daemon tools or cd emulation software of choice.
2. rip tracks2 - track11 with CDEx (or other ripping software of choice) as ogg the "music" folder inside your gog quake folder as Track02.ogg - Track11.ogg
3. rename _winmm.dll to winmm.dll
4. run qlquake as normal from the icon and enjoy the music.

A little further tweaking will be and ripping the music from the expansion images will be required to get them playing the correct music but that should not be to hard.

The same ogg music files also work with quakespasm and it will automatically play the right music if you follow the instructions in Quakespasm-Music.txt

Its good to finally have a legal way to purchase Quake with the expansions and get all the music :-)

If people are still stuck I am sure if would not be that hard to create a .bat file that automatically rips the music from the iso images and saves it in the right place, now we know the required steps to make things work. But I don't have time to look at that at the moment.
This worked perfectly for me, thank you!.
I've written a little tool that parses CUE sheets and outputs OGG files... should make things a lot easier:

http://www.gog.com/forum/quake_series/my_oneclick_audioextractor

It doesn't deemphasize, but it extracts all the music and there's a little howto included that will tell you where to put each file so that the mission packs get the correct tracks.
Post edited October 03, 2015 by hansschmucker
Paczyk: Hi guys,

Unfortunately due to complicated legal issues we needed to remove the ogg music from the game. Instead we've added disk images into the build so that the DosBox version stays intact (as DosBox can mount CD images by itself). As for the Windows version, if you happen to have the game's CD you can just insert it and play the game with music.

I'm terribly sorry for the inconvenience, but the world of legal agreements written 20 years ago can be ... a complicated one.

Anyway, hope you enjoy the game!
It seems that this issue can only exist because (a) somehow the licensing for game and the game's music is separate and (b) the rights holders for the music (TVT and Sonic Mayhem, I believe that latter works as an independent contractor) are requiring a fee-for-use that the publisher (this is not a storefront issue) is unwilling to pay. If the above obtains either in whole or in part I cannot understand how it would be legally permissible to utilise disk images that contain the copyrighted IP, viz. the music.

Clarity on this issue would be greatly appreciated so that we can all understand why we have to jump through hoops to get the music to play that, all things considered, should be considered part of the game.

note
CD playback is not completely functional, as it is not possible to loop music or even repeat the same CD track without a 3rd-party fix using multiple console commands to switch tracks or reset the CD. It's not the same and mars the integrity of the title.
Post edited October 08, 2015 by TheBitterness
Sad that we have to do so much messing around to get the game to run properly with the music. Also I don't see a Winquake launcher. Oh well it's still slightly better than the Steam version I guess.
The sooner you accept that Quake is id1/pak0.pak, id1/pak1.pak, hidden/pak0.pak, rogue/pak0.pak, two music CD images that you need to extract, and you need to use a modern engine the happier you will be.
Paczyk: Hi guys,

Unfortunately due to complicated legal issues we needed to remove the ogg music from the game. Instead we've added disk images into the build so that the DosBox version stays intact (as DosBox can mount CD images by itself). As for the Windows version, if you happen to have the game's CD you can just insert it and play the game with music.

I'm terribly sorry for the inconvenience, but the world of legal agreements written 20 years ago can be ... a complicated one.

Anyway, hope you enjoy the game!
TheBitterness: It seems that this issue can only exist because (a) somehow the licensing for game and the game's music is separate and (b) the rights holders for the music (TVT and Sonic Mayhem, I believe that latter works as an independent contractor) are requiring a fee-for-use that the publisher (this is not a storefront issue) is unwilling to pay. If the above obtains either in whole or in part I cannot understand how it would be legally permissible to utilise disk images that contain the copyrighted IP, viz. the music.

Clarity on this issue would be greatly appreciated so that we can all understand why we have to jump through hoops to get the music to play that, all things considered, should be considered part of the game.

note
CD playback is not completely functional, as it is not possible to loop music or even repeat the same CD track without a 3rd-party fix using multiple console commands to switch tracks or reset the CD. It's not the same and mars the integrity of the title.
There's a reason Reznor told TVT to go **** themselves after Pretty Hate Machine. Now the question is how did TVT get the rights to this music if this was around the time Reznor was very explicit about how these ***holes can eat a ******* ****.

"In 2010, the rights to the TVT catalog were acquired by Bicycle Music Group. A remastered version of Pretty Hate Machine was released and digital versions of its singles were put back into print.
The co-publishing rights to Trent Reznor’s Nine Inch Nails catalog include the songs from all album releases from Pretty Hate Machine through Year Zero. As well, in acquiring the master recording rights to NIN’s groundbreaking debut, Pretty Hate Machine, Bicycle will be responsible for re-releasing this album which has been out of print and unavailable through digital distribution outlets for several years. “It goes without saying how important these works are to the entire landscape of Alternative Rock. Our team sees incredible creative and business opportunities with this catalog and we look forward to working with our new partners and artists," said Steve Salm, Partner at Bicycle."

Oh that's how.
DAlancole: I doubt it, bet you even money that Bethesda bitched out about GOG having the better version and the Steam crowd got a hold of it and caused a ruckus.
DukeNukemForever: I'm pretty sure Bethesda isn't the problem here. The music is from Trent Reznor, more known for his band Nine Inch Nails. Back then it was a big thing that he did the music for a game, so I'm pretty sure he had a special deal with iD. And here I guess is the problem, as it's risky to release a kind of separate soundtrack, which means out of the box playable music files.

At the moment I'm thinking about if I really should get the bundle now for safety reasons or wait for a sale. Because from other games like the Realms of The Arkania series I'm not sure if in worst case GOG needs to remove music from the game completely. I have the original Quake disc laying around here, one of the few games I didn't trashed back then, but I don't have the missions pack.
Reznor is chill when it comes to his music. He encouraged all of Australia to pirate his music when the record companies were going to charge Australian fans more for Year Zero. Reznor isn't the problem here.
DukeNukemForever: I'm pretty sure Bethesda isn't the problem here. The music is from Trent Reznor, more known for his band Nine Inch Nails. Back then it was a big thing that he did the music for a game, so I'm pretty sure he had a special deal with iD. And here I guess is the problem, as it's risky to release a kind of separate soundtrack, which means out of the box playable music files.

At the moment I'm thinking about if I really should get the bundle now for safety reasons or wait for a sale. Because from other games like the Realms of The Arkania series I'm not sure if in worst case GOG needs to remove music from the game completely. I have the original Quake disc laying around here, one of the few games I didn't trashed back then, but I don't have the missions pack.
TonyMontana234: Reznor is chill when it comes to his music. He encouraged all of Australia to pirate his music when the record companies were going to charge Australian fans more for Year Zero. Reznor isn't the problem here.
I don't criticize anyone here, also not Trent Reznor. The question is how the contract was done nearly 20 years ago. Maybe there is a special clause in the contract not to offer the soundtrack separeted in any way, because it was a standard term for Reznor in his contracts and he just wanted to be sure that a company does not monetize his work in another way without explicit permission. Because Trent is amiable to his fans does not mean he was and very likely is still not careless in how he is making contracts with companies. So it's maybe the wording of the contract that can legally backfire on Bethesda and GOG. For them only contract is relevant and how it legally can be construed.

Keep also in mind tht in 20 years things changes. Digital music was still at the beginning and I'm pretty sure no one thought that the game will need extracted audiofiles. It was also a novelty that a big musican made a soundtrack for a game, which means it was also something new for a gaming company how the music should be licensed.

To sum up, as we don't know all contracts and licensing details, we can only speculate. For me it's reasonable that a contract with a rockstar is more detailled and restrictive to protect his rights than a usual deal back then with an inhouse musician or a normal composer who normally gives away the rights of his work to the developer or publisher. Some clauses in that contract, which were maybe standard clauses for every well bigger musician back then, makes it maybe risky for Bethesda and GOG to extract the music. That was very likely not done in purpose to harm the fans in any way, but in a way to protect the rights of the musician also in the future from to this time unkown ways of monetization. Again, just my guess.
Post edited November 07, 2015 by DukeNukemForever
I just ripped all the retail disks and notice the missing tracks in the tracks on the .CUE files so I posted the complete rip with all the right settings.

Retail Disk

TRACK 04 AUDIO
INDEX 00 16:31:03
INDEX 01 16:33:02
GOG Disk Copy

TRACK 04 AUDIO
INDEX 01 21:00:63
Hope this helps anyone looking for the right numbers so you can stop guessing and checking.

Side Note: Quakes Theme song as the same tonal qualities as Doom 3's its incredible!
Post edited November 07, 2015 by Starkrun
Does anyone have problems with winmm.dll on Windows 10?
Post edited November 07, 2015 by deathunlimited89