It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

mwnn: I've tried ripping the GoG images with both iTunes and dBpoweramp and you end up with incorrect files.
Once the cue sheet is fixed by adding the missing FLAG PRE lines - then it can be ripped in iTunes which seems to give the correctly made tracks.
Okay, that should mean that ripping the gog/cue image without any special attention results in pre-emphasized tracks and running them through a de-emphasis filter before any encoding should be a good idea. Thanks for confirming!

Like you I had never even heard of pre-emphasis before.
tfishell: They don't pull it off and possibly get sued?
themood: No one's happy about it, but do you think GOG's happy about too?
It's not there fault they got messed up with licensing issues
Ever heard about something called research?
Gog should've done that BEFORE they added Quake to the library. This was just sloppy.
I can confirm that the Quake CD image needs the audio de-emphasised.

But I'm not sure about the mission CD images... Any ideas?

When listening to the CD images of the mission CDs, I don't think they need to be de-emphasised.
Post edited August 28, 2015 by philscomputerlab
Good GOD! It's not like anyone's gonna use GLQuake as of today. Is GOG having issues with Trent or Bethesda? I would bet my head it's Bethesda! For a moment it was so nice realizing we can legally own the soundtrack again.
Sad that this happened but if one searches on the internet one can find the complete soundtrack.

@GOG
If this is illegal, I'll of course remove the link.
Post edited August 28, 2015 by viperfdl
viperfdl: Sad that this happened but if one searches on the internet one can find the complete soundtrack.

@GOG
If this is illegal, I'll of course remove the link.
Those packs won't work with vanilla Quake, they need to unpacked first, as they come in pk3 format.
hgdagon: For a moment it was so nice realizing we can legally own the soundtrack again.
I understand you're upset, it's a really annoying situation. But they didn't take away the soundtrack, it's still included and better yet, it's lossless now. I for one am tickled pink, it's something I wish they did with every game that had CD audio.

It's fairly easy to rebuild what is missing from what is present, and someone will probably soon come up with a script pack or something like that to make it entirely trivial.
The soundtrack is a part of the .cue. Mounting it in the free version of Daemon tools and using a free audio ripper to encode them to .oggs is fairly straight forward. Quakespasm includes the instructions of where to place the ripped .oggs too. I can't really imagine anyone sitting in a traffic jam moshing to a pirated copy of the Quake soundtrack but copyright law is fairly convoluted and stupid at times.
Downloaded quakespasm but found the help files that came with the download to be less then helpful.No clear,simple insturctions on how to use it. can someone point me to a here is what you do to get Quakespams working set of instructions?
hgdagon: Good GOD! It's not like anyone's gonna use GLQuake as of today. Is GOG having issues with Trent or Bethesda? I would bet my head it's Bethesda! For a moment it was so nice realizing we can legally own the soundtrack again.
It's an issue with Trent.
In Computer gaming, legal shit like this happens all the time. GOG is not going to risk legal problems by doing something which their legal staff tells them will leave them open to a lawsuit.It's that simple.
Post edited August 28, 2015 by dudalb
dudalb: Downloaded quakespasm but found the help files that came with the download to be less then helpful.No clear,simple insturctions on how to use it. can someone point me to a here is what you do to get Quakespams working set of instructions?
hgdagon: Good GOD! It's not like anyone's gonna use GLQuake as of today. Is GOG having issues with Trent or Bethesda? I would bet my head it's Bethesda! For a moment it was so nice realizing we can legally own the soundtrack again.
dudalb: It's an issue with Trent.
In Computer gaming, legal shit like this happens all the time. GOG is not going to risk legal problems by doing something which their legal staff tells them will leave them open to a lawsuit.It's that simple.
Please check out my tweak guide:

http://www.gog.com/forum/quake_the_offering/quake_the_offering_tweak_guide_video_quakespasm_extracting_audio_deemphasising
Post edited August 29, 2015 by philscomputerlab
dudalb: It's an issue with Trent.
Really? Source?

I'm sure the whole "pre-emphasis" crap was his idea though. It was a common practice in the analog/vinyl days, but it makes no sense for digital media like cds. (And actually negatively impacts sound quality if you don't have the "proper" playback hardware to reverse the effect.) Reznor has a reputation for being somewhat of a geek with regards to this technical stuff.

Hopefully this mess can still be worked out though.
Dear GoG,

Is there any kind of guarantee that the CD images won't be removed from the package in the future?

I don't really care about one-click solutions for playing, I can handle CD ripping and source port using. I'm essentially buying this just to get the original CD images, so removing them like you had to remove ripped OGG files would be a big disappointment.
Post edited August 29, 2015 by Voodoo84
Voodoo84: I'm essentially buying this just to get the original CD images, so removing them like you had to remove ripped OGG files would be a big disappointment.
The CD images are also the reason why I bought Quake. I'm also worried that the images might get pulled one day, so I bought it ASAP when I heard it had BIN / CUE images.

The game now works off a folder with Quakespasm and full music, so I'm happy, but hopefully the CD images remain so others can continue using them.
I doubt that the CD images will be removed because the Sound track was part of the original CD and part of the original game.
I dont think there is any legal issues with that. But the Sound track by it self is a different story on the other hand.

I got the windows 3dfx version working with full music by following the instructions given in this thread.
themood: No one's happy about it, but do you think GOG's happy about too?
It's not there fault they got messed up with licensing issues
Ghostbreed: Ever heard about something called research?
Gog should've done that BEFORE they added Quake to the library. This was just sloppy.
GOG hire this kid
He knows everything! /s