It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

mwnn: There's the small issue of whether the music is any different between CDs - I don't hear any differences - I can see them on the waveform.
MusicallyInspire: Both mission packs have unique soundtracks from the Trent Reznor vanilla campaign soundtrack. Are they not different tracks?
Yes - the expansions both have 9 songs each created by Jeehun Hwang.

http://quake.wikia.com/wiki/Scourge_of_Armagon_Soundtrack
http://quake.wikia.com/wiki/Dissolution_of_Eternity_Soundtrack

Completely different tracks to Quake.

I was was referring to these two posts for the sound differences:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=119489135
http://www.hydrogenaud.io/forums/index.php?showtopic=104876

There's conflicting stories - I haven't got a clue which way the vanilla soundtrack should actually sound!

It might be intentional or a manufacturing glitch.
Post edited August 28, 2015 by mwnn
Oh, sorry my bad.
dwyloc: OK it look like gog have renamed winmm.dll to _winmm.dll

So if you want to re-enable playing back the music from .ogg files it would seem that you need to do the following.

1. Mount the CDIMAGE game.gog with daemon tools or cd emulation software of choice.
2. rip tracks2 - track11 with CDEx (or other ripping software of choice) as ogg the "music" folder inside your gog quake folder as Track02.ogg - Track11.ogg
3. rename _winmm.dll to winmm.dll
4. run qlquake as normal from the icon and enjoy the music.

A little further tweaking will be and ripping the music from the expansion images will be required to get them playing the correct music but that should not be to hard.

The same ogg music files also work with quakespasm and it will automatically play the right music if you follow the instructions in Quakespasm-Music.txt

Its good to finally have a legal way to purchase Quake with the expansions and get all the music :-)

If people are still stuck I am sure if would not be that hard to create a .bat file that automatically rips the music from the iso images and saves it in the right place, now we know the required steps to make things work. But I don't have time to look at that at the moment.
This worked very well for me. Thanks!
Magmarock: I'm hopping they'll bring it back when I ask for the rollback.
Thiev: It won't be possible. In this case we were offered only two options - remove the tracks or remove the whole game. Rollback had to be disabled.
Well that just seems unfair. You can distribute the dos version just fine why not the gl version?
Ghostbreed: This is fucking bullshit, Gog. For a minute you were better than Steam, by selling Quake with its soundtracks. Then you get cold feet and pull it off? I'm not happy.
No one's happy about it, but do you think GOG's happy about too?
It's not there fault they got messed up with licensing issues
Fairfox:
dwyloc: Using the named folders as you describe above works with quakespasm as I said.

I think to get the the old glquake to use the right music would would need to do the following:

1. create 3 different music folders one for the base game and one for each of the expansions, the rip the music into the different folders

2. either rename the music folder you want each time to music manually before running quake or create a bat file do the renames and run quake after doing the renaming the correct music folder so it plays the correct music.

Personally I think I am just going to use quakesasm as it seems like the easiest way to get the correct music and hardware 3D.

to run base quake and start the demos run quakespasm.exe -fitz
to run Scourge of Armagon with demos run quakespasm.exe -fitz -game hipnotic
to run Dissolution of Eternity with demos run -fitz -game rogue
Friggin' almost perfect! For the first time ever, I can actually play Quake 1 with its proper soundtrack! Thank you for this and suggesting Quakespasm, as it made the whole process much, much easier. My evening has been made,

That said, I still need to find a way to play in software mode with the music...I love me my big pixels too much to give them up... Guess I'll play with GOG's DosBox build until it plays smoothly.
hedwards: The filenames are MUSIC/Track24.ogg with various 2 digit numbers for the specific track.

EDIT: And the first track is Track02.ogg
Darling_Jimmy: Hmm, I named them Track02.ogg ... Track11.ogg and put them in the MUSIC folder. Maybe I have another problem. I'll give it a try on a proper Windows machine later and hopefully have better luck. Thanks.
The last bit you need to do is rename the _winmm.dll to winmm.dll and as long as you have those files in the music folder you will get music. Just make sure that you've named them starting with Track02.ogg and you should be good to go.

The only changes I could find between the two versions of the game was that those files were deleted from the MUSIC directory and the winmm.dll was renamed with a _ before it. The winmm.dll is involved with multimedia.

So, there you have it. I've already verified that it works, so it should work for others as well.
Fairfox: Such bull.

Requesting a refund.
The music is still there.
mk47at: Why? It does include the music, but only the dosbox versions uses it automatically. If you want to use the windows port, you have to either mount the images or rip the music and put it in the correct folders, which are id1/musc, rogue/musc and hipnotic/music respectively.

The Steam version doesn't include the music in any form!
Or burn the image to an actual CD and put it in the drive as the OP suggests.
Post edited August 28, 2015 by SirPrimalform

Post edited October 22, 2018 by Fairfox
Quake N64 OST by Aubrey Hodges anyone? Might be a great substitute to Trent Reznor's version.

https://aubreyhodges.bandcamp.com/album/quake-nintendo-64-official-soundtrack

EDIT: If GOG can implement that OST theoretically w/ Aubrey's approval.
Post edited August 28, 2015 by DustFalcon1985
Darling_Jimmy: Hmm, I named them Track02.ogg ... Track11.ogg and put them in the MUSIC folder. Maybe I have another problem. I'll give it a try on a proper Windows machine later and hopefully have better luck. Thanks.
hedwards: The last bit you need to do is rename the _winmm.dll to winmm.dll and as long as you have those files in the music folder you will get music. Just make sure that you've named them starting with Track02.ogg and you should be good to go.

The only changes I could find between the two versions of the game was that those files were deleted from the MUSIC directory and the winmm.dll was renamed with a _ before it. The winmm.dll is involved with multimedia.

So, there you have it. I've already verified that it works, so it should work for others as well.
Still no dice in CrossOver but I'm sure this will help when I get around to installing it in Windows. Thanks again.
Rixasha: Seeing that they are apparently allowed to still distribute the music in its original lossless glory, I think it's probably some clause in a contract that forbids remixing the music, and it's read to include lossy compression.

I was just setting this up for quakespasm in Linux and I stumbled across a note saying the original CD tracks are pre-emphasized and should be de-emphasized. I'm not an audio geek. I tried a de-emphasis filter, but I as I don't know what to listen to, I'm not sure if game.gog/game.cue need it or if it has been done already.

Can someone who knows their audio confirm? For reference, I did something like this:

bchunk -w game.gog game.cue emp_track
rm emp_track01.iso
for file in emp_track*wav; do
sox $file ${file##emp_} deemph
done
In my case I use the bchunk command as you put it and then with VLC I converted the wav files to ogg, now I can enjoy the music.
hedwards: The last bit you need to do is rename the _winmm.dll to winmm.dll and as long as you have those files in the music folder you will get music. Just make sure that you've named them starting with Track02.ogg and you should be good to go.

Darling_Jimmy: Still no dice in CrossOver but I'm sure this will help when I get around to installing it in Windows. Thanks again.
Oh, you're trying it in Crossover. I haven't tried that yet. It does work on Windows, I'll have to take a look at Wine though. I didn't realize that you were trying to get that to work in Wine.

Personally, I'd try using a source port for Linux. But, if you want the authentic experience, I suppose you're stuck with Crossover.
I have the ogg files for all three games. I got the music to work for the main game(GOG Version),but cannot get the music to work for the expansions Probably a problem with the file structure;Any hints?

BTW I don't want to get in trouble but....you can find the ogg files for the Quake music on the internet. Just saying.....
Once you have the ogg files, just do what Hedwig suggested with the wmmm.dll and you will get the music.
Post edited August 28, 2015 by dudalb
hedwards: Oh, you're trying it in Crossover. I haven't tried that yet. It does work on Windows, I'll have to take a look at Wine though. I didn't realize that you were trying to get that to work in Wine.

Personally, I'd try using a source port for Linux. But, if you want the authentic experience, I suppose you're stuck with Crossover.
Honestly, I can't see myself sacrificing any more time to figure it out. The DOS version works like a charm — music and all — so I'm not missing out on the authentic experience. Having a blast, regardless.